table rebuild enquiry (1 Viewer)

BadMonkeyMusic

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have one of those cheapo folding leg tables you can buy at trademark poker...
It's rails and playing surface are ripped up and I wanna repalce them.

Has anyone just rebuilt similar in stead of building from scratch???
My plan is to grab 1 sheet of ply and cut out a rail seeing as the "rail" on this is just some padding on the same wood as the playing surface...
The table is basically a 1/2" MDF with some strapping underneath to screw the folding legs to...

3/4 or 23/32 is around $50 around here, so wanna keep the cost down with the 1 sheet, I can use the center cutout under the original table for a supporting base maybe.

Any ideas?

Luckily, it's solid not a folder... I think it'll be a good base anyway..
If not, I have folding legs for a new one! HAHAAA

Last year I picked up a 54" round mass market table to refurbish.

It turned out ok, but it was a gigantic pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it again. I'd just start from scratch. I replaced the playing surface foam, cloth, rail foam, and rail vinyl.

First negative - the base and rail was made with MDF.

Second negative - removing the 5 million staples that were used for the rail was a carpel tunnel syndrome nightmare.

Using MDF for the base may not be a good idea. Whatever legs you use will need to be screwed in and screws don't hold up well in MDF after a while. Especially if they're fold up legs and there's regular strain being put on those areas with legs being extended and closed.

Last year I picked up a 54" round mass market table to refurbish.

It turned out ok, but it was a gigantic pain in the ass. I wouldn't do it again. I'd just start from scratch. I replaced the playing surface foam, cloth, rail foam, and rail vinyl.

First negative - the base and rail was made with MDF.

Second negative - removing the 5 million staples that were used for the rail was a carpel tunnel syndrome nightmare.

Using MDF for the base may not be a good idea. Whatever legs you use will need to be screwed in and screws don't hold up well in MDF after a while. Especially if they're fold up legs and there's regular strain being put on those areas with legs being extended and closed.
I second the "Never use MDF (or particle board) for ANYTHING". MDF and PB are wonders to me. The sum total of building technology up to the Twenty First century has created a scientific marvel - the heaviest substance known to Man that is at the same time the weakest and most prone to failure under any circumstances. :confused

Cutting the plywood can be the easiest and cheapest part of a poker table build. Re-upholstery is a real headache. I used to rehab tables years ago but found it wasn't worth the effort.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom