Table Showcase (pics) (12 Viewers)

116342696_128780362227445_759969663965450872_o.jpg

Awesome tables! The 2nd one, is that speed cloth with a bet line or is it suede?
First is a BBO Aces Pro “Open Box” which was discounted by -$200ish. Not a ding or scratch. Brand new with BBO gaming suede.

Second is, in fact, speed cloth with a betting line I from a seller on 3Bay.

I think I prefer the speed cloth for tournaments and the luxury feel of the gaming suede for cash games. Just my opinion!

First is a BBO Aces Pro “Open Box” which was discounted by -$200ish. Not a ding or scratch. Brand new with BBO gaming suede.

Second is, in fact, speed cloth with a betting line I from a seller on 3Bay.

I think I prefer the speed cloth for tournaments and the luxury feel of the gaming suede for cash games. Just my opinion!
Awesome! I was looking at a open box table from BBO as well, haven't pulled the triggered yet. Think it may be soon!

Nice, clean table!
Where did you pick that bad boy up?

one of my players in the league I ran 10 years ago made some tables. He sold it to me at material cost, in fact I just got it out of storage yesterday.

dust marks, it was stored out in the shed so it needs a good cleaning, I wiped down the vinyl not sure how to clean the speed cloth. surface seems fine it isn't loose at all just some scuff mark on the vinyl, stacked some chips on it.

IMG_3634.jpgdunes1.jpg

Daughter is off to college now so I won't be traveling every weekend for softball, that's why I am here and pulled the table out. I am going to start hosting again when this covid shit passes.

I actually want to upgrade it. Add a raised rail and soem lights maybe custom felt.

dust marks, it was stored out in the shed so it needs a good cleaning, I wiped down the vinyl not sure how to clean the speed cloth. surface seems fine it isn't loose at all just some scuff mark on the vinyl, stacked some chips on it.

View attachment 520186View attachment 520187

Daughter is off to college now so I won't be traveling every weekend for softball, that's why I am here and pulled the table out. I am going to start hosting again when this covid shit passes.

I actually want to upgrade it. Add a raised rail and soem lights maybe custom felt.

Nice, well since the table isn't for sale, I'll give you my 2 cents! LOL.

Raised rail is over rated...not that comfortable to play on. Lower the raise the better. Custom felt is a great idea!

Nice, well since the table isn't for sale, I'll give you my 2 cents! LOL.

Raised rail is over rated...not that comfortable to play on. Lower the raise the better. Custom felt is a great idea!
If you play frequently, I agree - the raised rail is tv main-event overhype. However, they are man-cave centerpieces and functional for a shorter period of time. Tailor the table to your needs. If you need something that looks really nice, but only play infrequently, a raised rail is the way to go.

Raised rails are always a topic of debate, almost as often as cup holder location.

My experience is that there's the good and bad when it comes to raised rails.

Good:
  • Looks nice. Wood trim, metal trim, or going super fancy with decals or suited cutouts look really fantastic. Even just a short 3/4" raised rail wood trim and really add an extra pop to a table. A wood trim raised rail is almost like a racetrack, adding nice aesthetic, but doesn't interfere with play like a wood racetrack does.
  • Card guard. No not card capper, but rather it can prevent cards from sliding under the rail. When you add foam to the playing surface, then squish it down with a rail, you end up with a wedge between the rail and playing surface. If a card gets pitched right into that wedge, the card can get half flipped up getting exposed or nearly exposed. A raised rail trim acts as a guard preventing cards from ending up in this wedge. (someone should make a video or something)
  • Added lighting. If you have an illuminated raised rail, it can help you see your cards better. I've even been in the situation where we had a power outage but were able to continue to play with the lights on.
  • Customization. Adding logos, lettering, etc can personalize your table really nicely. There's many examples.
  • Comfortable. The right height raised rail can get your arms and wrists to a nice level with the playing surface. Shuffling a tall stack of chips can be easier when you can rest your arms on the rail while doing it. If the rail's too low, your hands/arms kind of have to hover. Except.... see below.
Bad:
  • Harder to build and costs more. You usually need more material to add a raised rail. Depending on how you do it, it takes more time and effort as well. It's not "hard" to build, but it's harder than a plain rail. Adding lights definitely makes it cost more, and is even harder. If it's a wood trim, then you need to add edge banding, stain and lacquer/polyurethane.
  • Can be uncomfortable. Once a raised rail goes above a certain height (what height is up for debate) then it can become hard to peek at your cards because you have to bend them up higher to see them over the angle created from the tall raised rail. It can also be uncomfortable with your wrists on the bumper, but the playing surface is several inches lower so playing with cards and chips can cause you to bend your wrists more than is comfortable.
  • Fat rail. When you have a tall raised rail, the rail gets fatter along with it. The rail can look too plump and start to look like an air mattress.
  • Can be harder to upholster. I say can, because it depends on how tall the raised rail is. But usually the taller it is, the harder it is to get the rail wrinkle free.
My 2 cents. Ok maybe 3.

...says the guy that can make a small fortune selling a raised rail table. :whistle: :whistling:

Considering the disdain many show for racetracks, cup holders and other such details, a nice raised rail is the only spot left (other than a custom cloth) us table builders have to jazz up a table . I personally don't care for lights but a nice wood faced raised rail with a decorative inlay is the nuts IMHO:

full

I am in the camp of liking a slight raised rail. I prefer them to be 3/4" or less though. I also like the look of lights and the functionality of lights. However, I would rather have no raised rail at all than one over 1"

Last edited:
In my first tables, I made the mistake of using waaaay to many staples for the cloth. Not needed, and makes it unnecessarily difficult to remove and wash. SSC cleans up beautifully in the washing machine!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom