Table Plans? Or Where to start? (1 Viewer)

Dezmond

Pair
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I would like to build my first poker table. Oval and seat 8? Wondering how I am supposed to start out? Are there plans available? I am for sure using Tony for my fabric and printing. Looking for some guidance and suggestions on how and where to start.

Thanks.
Dezi

I’ll be the contrarian and throw out the idea of a round table. A lot of good threads here on the positives and negatives of each shape but round wins hands down in my book!! A lot of great threads also walking step by step through the process of either!

A round example I love!!!…
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/58-round-build-slow-burn.76846/

Hey everyone. So I would like to build my first poker table. Oval and seat 8? Wondering how I am supposed to start out? Are there plans available? I am for sure using Tony for my fabric and printing. Looking for some guidance and suggestions on how and where to start.

Thanks.
Dezi

When I first started building, I spent a bunch of time on different forums, looking at different builds, and trying to put together something that would work. Now, I'm almost certain you could find a YT video that would show you EXACTLY how to do what you want.

For an 8-seater, a round table would be GREAT, but it doesn't allow you much room for expansion, so to speak. I've wanted to build one for YEARS, just because I love the way they look, but never did, because my game had outgrown 8 players by far.

I used this to build a 8-seat ellipse years ago, though I went full felt with no cupholders.

I used a bunch of info from here and these pages to develop a plan. Although a lot of the links are dead, the foundation can be found there.

There have been some recent builds by forum members here that are VERY well done, with plenty of pictures to allow you follow along with the process.

I suppose the starting point is, committing to a style, knowing what materials you'll need, and understanding that you will almost surely make mistakes, but you'll be the only player who notices.

Are you any good with cutting plywood? Do you have tools to do that? You can probably get away with using a jigsaw and manual staple gun only for a simple full-felt table, but I wouldn't recommend it. A router, pneumatic stapler, electric carving knife, couple of circle jigs make the job easier AND allow for better a better finished project.

I'm TERRIBLE at cutting wood, and I'm not at all ashamed to say that I've outsourced it multiple times. Draw a diagram and have someone with the requisite skill set make these cuts. I buy the wood, take it to them, pick it up when they tell me its ready, and then I can do the stuff I'm capable of. If that's an option for you, I'd use it without hesitation.

Lastly, there are a lot of cool folks around here who would be happy to help get your idea out of your head, and into your poker room. Don't be shy about reaching out.

When I first started building, I spent a bunch of time on different forums, looking at different builds, and trying to put together something that would work. Now, I'm almost certain you could find a YT video that would show you EXACTLY how to do what you want.

For an 8-seater, a round table would be GREAT, but it doesn't allow you much room for expansion, so to speak. I've wanted to build one for YEARS, just because I love the way they look, but never did, because my game had outgrown 8 players by far.

I used this to build a 8-seat ellipse years ago, though I went full felt with no cupholders.

I used a bunch of info from here and these pages to develop a plan. Although a lot of the links are dead, the foundation can be found there.

There have been some recent builds by forum members here that are VERY well done, with plenty of pictures to allow you follow along with the process.

I suppose the starting point is, committing to a style, knowing what materials you'll need, and understanding that you will almost surely make mistakes, but you'll be the only player who notices.

Are you any good with cutting plywood? Do you have tools to do that? You can probably get away with using a jigsaw and manual staple gun only for a simple full-felt table, but I wouldn't recommend it. A router, pneumatic stapler, electric carving knife, couple of circle jigs make the job easier AND allow for better a better finished project.

I'm TERRIBLE at cutting wood, and I'm not at all ashamed to say that I've outsourced it multiple times. Draw a diagram and have someone with the requisite skill set make these cuts. I buy the wood, take it to them, pick it up when they tell me its ready, and then I can do the stuff I'm capable of. If that's an option for you, I'd use it without hesitation.

Lastly, there are a lot of cool folks around here who would be happy to help get your idea out of your head, and into your poker room. Don't be shy about reaching out.
Awesome advice Brain!!!! Thank you. Yes I have that wonderful ADHD my wife tells me. Sooooooooo many things going on in my head and that makes it hard to get it out. Amazing ideas and people here for sure. I read the 29 pages of custom tables and went through the fugly tables thread.

I am good with tools and woodworking and have all tools I would need to build. Just getting an idea and going with it is the hard part. I want the table theme to go with the chips theme. I think . Gonna go oval this round. Maybe a smaller oval?

I have thought of classic riverboat theme as I loved the movies Maverick and TombStone.
Then I thought hmmmmmm Family Guy could have some awesome ideas and colours.
What about Ozark? I saw a post that was older here and nothing happened. Loved Ozark. What about the 7 Canadian NHL hockey teams? Could I do chips the coloura Of the teams and then a cool modern table?
Hmmmm the wife loves Elvis. Could get some amazing brownie points and do a TCB theme.

See? It’s hard to pick. Patience needs to be on my side. I’m trying to find a designer here that would be willing to help me from start to finish. Oh ya, what about HE-MAN or old school Batman? Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! K gotta go get a drink now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom