Table New Build Rail Foam thickness. (3 Viewers)

It's the practice technique... :)

But really, I pull almost as hard as I can, and I watch to ensure the foam is being compressed the same as the foam next to it. This seems to net decent results. Hard to describe. Fingers suffer. I've tried using fancy upholstery pliers that are designed for pulling vinyl, but I always got better results using my hands (better feel)..

I actually don't care for the xtreme vinyl from YAT, I've used it a number of times, and it's ok... but I think it actually rips too easily. I want stretch, but also durability. I've leaned towards the Wisper from Joannes. Cheaper by far, when using a 50% off coupon around 12/yd (or $36 per table). Plus, no shipping.

I was just in Joannes picking up the spray adhesive, they had some nice vinyl for a lot cheaper than the YAT xtreme. I'll take a look at the Wisper next time.
It did feel like the xtreme was going to tear where i had made relief cuts.

Nice build man. Table came out great.(y) :thumbsup:

I haven't built mine yet, but after hearing all the stories I ran out and grabbed a pneumatic stapler as well. We should have talked prior and shared. Nah who are we kidding, any excuse to buy tools. :)

Slap some chips on the table and post some live action shots when you get it all set up.

Nice build man. Table came out great.(y) :thumbsup:

I haven't built mine yet, but after hearing all the stories I ran out and grabbed a pneumatic stapler as well. We should have talked prior and shared. Nah who are we kidding, any excuse to buy tools. :)

Slap some chips on the table and post some live action shots when you get it all set up.

Will get some live action shots when i rake a big pot !!:D hopefully it won't be too long

Another + for Whisper vinyl for rail builds. 60% off coupons at Jo-Ann's Fabrics are the nutz. I do splurge for 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, however.

Like Trihonda, I also use the hand-pull method, but with compression -- rail is placed on the floor (with underlying protection), and is firmly pressed down (on each side of the immediate working area) while pulling the vinyl tight and then stapling. It auto-compresses the foam the correct amount for every pull (yielding uniformity), but it's hell on the back. The foam pops back to expand and completely fill the vinyl, leaving a nice tight rail that still has some 'give'.

I usually have a helper that actually steps on the rail to get the proper compression, leaving me free to pull the vinyl while helper #2 applies the staples. For a 2-person job, the knees can be used to compress the foam freeing up the hands for either pulling or stapling. Much faster with better results than trying to make it a one-person job.

It's the practice technique... :)

But really, I pull almost as hard as I can, and I watch to ensure the foam is being compressed the same as the foam next to it. This seems to net decent results. Hard to describe. Fingers suffer. I've tried using fancy upholstery pliers that are designed for pulling vinyl, but I always got better results using my hands (better feel)..

I actually don't care for the xtreme vinyl from YAT, I've used it a number of times, and it's ok... but I think it actually rips too easily. I want stretch, but also durability. I've leaned towards the Wisper from Joannes. Cheaper by far, when using a 50% off coupon around 12/yd (or $36 per table). Plus, no shipping.
The single layer was a good call. 2" foam is comfy, but - imo, unnecessary and really tough to get the vinyl pulled smoothly

Whats the optimal rail foam height? I'm thinking it affects the viewing angle of the cards no?

Whats the optimal rail foam height? I'm thinking it affects the viewing angle of the cards no?

NO. These tables will be just fine. I've seen some final TV tables with ridiculous depth, and the players never seem to mind.

Table looks like it turned out great. Is 3/4 inch high density foam enough for the rail is it it a definite no-go?

Table looks like it turned out great. Is 3/4 inch high density foam enough for the rail is it it a definite no-go?

Went with the 1" 65LB foam from YAT.com

Worked out great, more than enough cushioning/ firmness.
As Trihonda and BGinGA had said before, keep it really tight, pulled tights as you can and use a lot of staples.
After a good few weeks of use, i can see its a little "puffy" where the tautness has lessened. I think would be an easy fix to take rail off and re-staple it tight.

Lesson learned!!

Went with the 1" 65LB foam from YAT.com

Worked out great, more than enough cushioning/ firmness.
As Trihonda and BGinGA had said before, keep it really tight, pulled tights as you can and use a lot of staples.
After a good few weeks of use, i can see its a little "puffy" where the tautness has lessened. I think would be an easy fix to take rail off and re-staple it tight.

Lesson learned!!

So how wide is your rail? I see you started with 4.5 inches and added an inch of foam all the way around. Is that then a 6.5 inch rail? Looks great and well done.

So how wide is your rail? I see you started with 4.5 inches and added an inch of foam all the way around. Is that then a 6.5 inch rail? Looks great and well done.

Thanks. Definitely satisfying to build your own. And doesn't take weeks on end like my shed. Still 3/4 finished after 7 months..:eek:

I think the rail ended up being about 5 1/4" not 100% sure. Table is at my buddys basement. I forgot to measure it once i was completed.
But it feels like a good size.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom