Table legs and height question

Darson

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have my 10-seat poker table sitting on top of our teak outdoor table. We play both outside and inside depending on the temperature and it's a bit of a pain moving the table back and forth. Here it is in the middle of the living room when the wife was away!

Poker table.jpg

I was thinking about putting legs on it so that I can return the teak table to its permanent position outside and make the poker table stand-alone. What height should I be looking for? At he moment, it feels a few inches too high sitting on top of the teak table.

And what kind of legs do you suggest? I was thinking folding but then I have the space to leave it set up so was also toying with making it permanent. I have the tools and wood to make legs and stretchers if needed.

Coyote

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's not going to be a permanent element of your furniture, with a decorative vallue, opt for versatility and trasportability, and have folding legs.
Height-wise, no table stands high enough for me (I hate stooping), and I 'm not tall at all at 1.76m, but that's just me.

jja412

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shooting for table height of around 30" seems to be pretty standard. If you have specific chairs you use for poker, set them up and see what works best for you before making final decisions on height. (Sometimes your chairs will dictate a higher or lower optimum height.)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A raised rail lighted table isn’t going to have a lot of value in the “portability” aspect.

Darson

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, portability in the sense of taking it out the house is not something I’m considering, more like I can fold it up and stick it in the corner when it’s not in use...

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ This, although I prefer 30" to top of rail if it's raised.

One Eyed Dollar

Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built my table as a topper and put it on top of a 5' long folding table. I got the table off craigslist for about $20. With the thickness of the topper, it was a little too tall, so I lopped about 2" to 3" off the legs of the table with a pipe cutter and put the rubber feet back on, and now it sits just right IMO. And I can take the topper off and use the table for crafts with the kids and whatnot too.

Darson

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built my table as a topper and put it on top of a 5' long folding table. I got the table off craigslist for about $20. With the thickness of the topper, it was a little too tall, so I lopped about 2" to 3" off the legs of the table with a pipe cutter and put the rubber feet back on, and now it sits just right IMO. And I can take the topper off and use the table for crafts with the kids and whatnot too.
Oooh.... that's a good idea - I have a few of those large plastic white folding tables. I'll have to test them out.

Darson

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my chair seats are 18” off the ground and the top of the padding is 33-34” off the ground. No wonder it feels a bit high.

mkadlec99

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Definitely think the chairs will factor. I have the typical padded folding chairs and I went with a 28.5" top-rail-to-floor height which seemed comfortable. I feel I'm average height (5'11") so hopefully that will work for the other players.

PokerDocTX

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I have a similar table with foldable legs put on it. I also had issues with height. I think my table is a touch too high at 32” from floor to top of arm rest.
I found computer chairs that are 20.5” from floor to seat which make for decent comfort. However my previous chairs were too short for my table. I would probably prefer the table around 30” if I had to re-do it, so it is easier to adjust height preferences with adjustable
chairs.

Top Bottom