Table height vs chair height (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Are poker tables higher than normal tables?
Are folding chairs lower than normal chairs?

When I sit at my table for a while, with my elbows on the rail, after a while, I feel it in my shoulders. I have a feeling that either my table is too high or my folding chairs are too low. Does anybody have any insight?
Do I need to buy gassers - are they higher? Does anybody make “feet” you can put on a chair, to make it taller?

FWIW, my table is a gorilla, and they’ve been making tables for a long time, so I’d assume it’s a standard table height, whatever that is.

I ran into a similar issue. Picked up some height adjustable office chairs and now everyone can sit at whatever level they feel comfortable at

I ran into a similar issue. Picked up some height adjustable office chairs and now everyone can sit at whatever level they feel comfortable at
That’s one solution, but you’re looking at $100 give or take for any decent office chair - I’m interested in a cheaper solution.

Poker tables play better at around 29"-30" (floor to top of rail), BUT comfort at a poker table is equally affected by the chair height. Most chairs sit around 17"-18" high (floor to seat), but the quality of the chair can make a big difference. My gassers sit at around 17.5" inches and don't flex much when seated (sturdy frame and good padding). If I sit my fat ass in one of those plastic folding chairs (which are usually a hair lower to begin with), it's sagging another inch or two.

I find most folding table legs are made for kitchen / utility tables, and need to be cut down a few inches to get to poker table height.

I'm in the same boat. I have a 3/4 raised rail on the gorilla legs, and 2 sheets of ply wood. You can cut the legs down, but that will have other challenges.
Basically from floor to ass you want it so your feet sit flat, which is 17-19 inches, and the you want a ratio of thigh to elbow and all of these are going to vary based on individual golden ratios.

It's an art to get it just right I think

I bought a table off craigslist that someone had made and had the standard folding legs. It sat 30" and was a little too high. I got a cheap pipe cutter and cut 1" off the legs and it was perfect then.

Don't cheap out on anything that attaches you to the ground. This includes chairs. Budget for some nice chairs. Make sure to check FB Marketplace in your area. IMO there is nothing worse than uncomfortable chairs and more so at a poker table. If my back/ass start to hurt, I'm out.

I'm no expert, but I've spent the past 20 years as a fat old dude that works / plays on the computer for 8 to 18 hours a day consistently, if you're looking for the most luxurious ass pillow around that I've found you gotta go purple , I can recommend ultimate and royal :)

Don't cheap out on anything that attaches you to the ground. This includes chairs. Budget for some nice chairs. Make sure to check FB Marketplace in your area. IMO there is nothing worse than uncomfortable chairs and more so at a poker table. If my back/ass start to hurt, I'm out.
I guess that's sorta my point. My long term solution will be gassers. But until I can find the right deal, I'm looking for temporary solution.
And I do appreciate all suggestions, but I'll be dipped in shit before I drop $37 x 8 for a bunch of seat cushions.

I'm no expert, but I've spent the past 20 years as a fat old dude that works / plays on the computer for 8 to 18 hours a day consistently, if you're looking for the most luxurious ass pillow around that I've found you gotta go purple , I can recommend ultimate and royal :)
If I were sitting in the same chair every day for 8-18 hours, I might consider spending $150 for a cushion too.

I guess that's sorta my point. My long term solution will be gassers. But until I can find the right deal, I'm looking for temporary solution.
And I do appreciate all suggestions, but I'll be dipped in shit before I drop $37 x 8 for a bunch of seat cushions.

Are all of your players complaining about the height?

You will never get all players happy with table/chair height, especially with non-adjustable chairs. Some players may be 5' nothing, and other players exceed 6'4". The shorter ones may need cushions to reach the table and footrests to keep their feet from dangling. The taller ones will be knocking their knees on the underside and hunched over to rest their elbows or wrists on the rail.

Build it for your own comfort, and try to accommodate others (with cushions/footrests, etc.) as best you can (or not). If you are playing elsewhere, BYO adaptive hardware.

Last edited:
Are all of your players complaining about the height?
No. Because I haven’t had any players (besides my kids) on this new table. I bought it right before covid, and the time hasn’t seemed quite right to resume hosting. I’ve got kids and old parents and friends with differing views than me blah blah blah. At some point I have to just jump back in, and hopefully soon, but that’s another discussion for another time.

I find most folding table legs are made for kitchen / utility tables, and need to be cut down a few inches to get to poker table height.

Yes. I cut maybe 1.5” inches off the steel folding legs I bought from a restaurant supply company.

I'm dealing this problem right now. Mounting my new poker table to the pedestal base of the dining table (so I can't adjust the height), and it feels an inch or two too high.

Think I'm just gonna buy some seat cushions :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think something that's often left out of this discussion is what @LotsOfChips briefly mentioned, which is the space between the bottom of the rail and your thigh. A lot of poker rails are very thick. Dining room chairs are designed for dining tables, which are rarely thicker than 1 1/2 inches and most often pretty much the same height as poker tables. What this means is that you end up having to lower your chair, if you're able to, but that's yet another compromise.

I've had a similar trouble with office chairs with armrests—they kept bumping into the rail.

It's tough to get the balance just right.

It's tough to get the balance just right.
Its tough because its relative to the dimensions of your body, everyone is a bit different.

The length of your thigh will be a large part of comfort, in the picture below the chair doesn't extend far enough.
If you are able to rest your foot on the ground vs if its dangling in the air.
The distance between your lap and elbow and the way it rests on the rail.

Ultimately you're shooting for an average for most humans, which is a compromise, everyone gets to sit but no one is extremely happy! :LOL: :laugh:

sitting.jpg

My cushioned folding chairs and dining room chairs are going to have to do for now (until I clear space in the garage to store banquet chairs, that is), so am debating taking .5in to 1in off of the legs of my table. The seat heights for the folding tables are right around 17in and dining room chairs are about 18in. I think the dining room seat heights are almost perfect for the tables and the folding chair seat heights are just a fraction too short.

Anyone who chopped the legs, any regrets?

Are poker tables higher than normal tables?
Are folding chairs lower than normal chairs?

When I sit at my table for a while, with my elbows on the rail, after a while, I feel it in my shoulders. I have a feeling that either my table is too high or my folding chairs are too low. Does anybody have any insight?
A lot of the tables I have built were portable or semi-portable. I always shoot for a 29.5" floor-to-felt height; occasionally that has required cutting length off of the supporting table legs (sometimes bolt-on folding legs, other time the legs on a folding table). A saws-all works great.

And yeah, most folding chairs sit lower than kitchen, office, or banquet chairs. I typically recommend optional cushions for those that want/need them, or cutting off an additional 3/4" of leg height as a cheaper but permanent solution (because say goodbye to any future chair upgrades).

A year and a half later I can tell you I don’t know if I had crap folding chairs or if gassers are just magical, but I haven’t had this complaint since I found gassers.

When I sit at my table for a while, with my elbows on the rail, after a while, I feel it in my shoulders. I have a feeling that either my table is too high or my folding chairs are too low.

I find that tables with raised rails sometimes are too high by exactly the height of the riser, because whoever built it didn’t cut their standard legs down by that much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom