Table: Cup holders, or no cup holders? (1 Viewer)

Paulo is right - slide unders can block view, and that is one disadvantage. I'm neutral on the real estate concept though. Yes, since they're on the table they do use some space, but that's the beauty behind slide-unders - you put it in a space you don't use, so it's not wasting space, it's utilizing space.

I see what you are getting at, and the idea now intrigues me. However, I'm still doubtful that it could be done without some unpleasant concessions. Sitting by myself at my table the gap from my legs to the table is pretty narrow, and you have to account for some room for getting up and sitting down, unless someone is going to push your chair in for you, so I don't think there's much space you can take away from that area.. A raised rail only gives you an inch or two, and that's for a WSOP-depth table. complete with cameras.

poker-table-plans-raised-rail-1.jpg

In the above image you can see how small the unused space is. Less than a man's fist, laying sideways. The next image shows the depth to be about 15-17 chips deep - not enough for any drink.

ap_world_series_of_poker_92443635.jpg
Yea...you’re right. Damn it.

lol, you beat me to the punch on offering alternate options.

Have been pondering a solution that would eliminate all the problems with the current approaches -- fixed location (regardless of where), drinks on table, less table surface real estate, limited view of cards/chips of other players, twisting around to access drinks, minimal floor space for drink carts, etc.

I am now firmly convinced I have finally figured it out, at least for tables that are located in a 'permanent' location. Inspired by the pics posted by @abby99 , the solution is to have drink holders located overhead.

Combined with an overhead lighting fixture, a low drink "rail" that follows the circumference of the table (but about 6 inches smaller diameter and roughly 20-24 inches above the table surface) would allow drinks to be placed within easy reach.

No interference with anything -- inboard enough to avoid headroom issues when standing up, and high enough to avoid any sight issues across the table during play. Nothing on the table which avoids those related issues, no fixed positions so drink placement can acommodate leftys or rightys, and no need to turn around to access your drink.

Visualize a craps table drink ring, only elevated instead of under the table.

Coming soon from a Chanman near you.....

@T_Chan

lol, you beat me to the punch on offering alternate options.

Have been pondering a solution that would eliminate all the problems with the current approaches -- fixed location (regardless of where), drinks on table, less table surface real estate, limited view of cards/chips of other players, twisting around to access drinks, minimal floor space for drink carts, etc.

I am now firmly convinced I have finally figured it out, at least for tables that are located in a 'permanent' location. Inspired by the pics posted by @abby99 , the solution is to have drink holders located overhead.

Combined with an overhead lighting fixture, a low drink "rail" that follows the circumference of the table (but about 6 inches smaller diameter and roughly 20-24 inches above the table surface) would allow drinks to be placed within easy reach.

No interference with anything -- inboard enough to avoid headroom issues when standing up, and high enough to avoid any sight issues across the table during play. Nothing on the table which avoids those related issues, no fixed positions so drink placement can acommodate leftys or rightys, and no need to turn around to access your drink.

Visualize a craps table drink ring, only elevated instead of under the table.

Coming soon from a Chanman near you.....

@T_Chan

Omg do it. And take pics!

There's always cup holder drawers as an option.

View attachment 164738

To maximize leg space when not in use you can remove the cup holder from the drawer.

As long as we're thinking outside the box, how about attaching cup holder drawers to a rail that would allow players to slide them to the left or right for optimal positioning?

Glad you chose to have none.

I have cups in the table surface. This is the worst idea in the history of poker. Cards always falling in the cups. Sometimes you are centered on the cup holder and must stack your chips to the left or right of it. (This tilts me). Trying to peek at your cards while your drink, centered, is getting in your view of your cards.

Most of these are still an issue with the cup holder in the rail. Next table will have 0 cup holders, and will use carts.

Overhead beer bongs for everyone!

There's always cup holder drawers as an option.

View attachment 164737

View attachment 164738

To maximize leg space when not in use you can remove the cup holder from the drawer.

Those I LOVE Tony!! One day...

I never played at a table with those drawer cup holders but they are pretty close to my idea of perfect compromise. Yes, there is still the issue of "fixed" location but if there is a few extra "bays" in which you can move the drawers around and even add some, that would check all the boxes for me.

How feasible would it be to make those slide out ones capable of also sliding left or right once fully extended (out)?

I assume right now they use drawer slides. Could you make a reverse "T" channel where the top of the T is the table edge, and what holds the wooden cup holder is an upside down cone?

Think of a flat head screw (conical) sliding in a channel. You could use the same flat wooden piece holding the cup, and screw a wooden cone piece at the end.

Obviously not an artist here, please don't mock, lol. You place the back part of the T channel 1st, then slide in the cup holder piece, then screw in the front part of the T securing the cup holder assembly which can no longer come out unless you unscrew one of the T channels.

Being a cone, and not locked into a particular direction, it could also be swiveled slightly.

Do-able? Lol.

Edit: I drew this 100mph while my wife was tapping her foot and waiting for me so we could go to town. When I get back home I can do a very slightly better drawing if anybody doesn't get it. Don't tell the wife I wrote on this site while in town with her.;)

15226785467101348622982.jpg

Last edited:
I personally dislike food or drinks on the table at all, So I built a table with no cup holders, spent every game with that table asking/telling people to keep the drinks and plates off the damn table. Ended up with side tables for food and cup holders in the rail for drinks. I also try to have a dinner before cards or a dedicated dinner break upstairs away from the tables. I can only take watching my brother with a hotdog loaded with fixings no plate or napkin hovering over the table or my other friend who seems to always bring some kind of grease cover wings or such to the game were everyone getting chips and cards all nasty.

Since the new tables and dedicated dinner breaks I went on a 7 tourney win or chop streak, more time to think about cards instead of going on tilt worry about spills and greasy chips.

I personally dislike food or drinks on the table at all, So I built a table with no cup holders, spent every game with that table asking/telling people to keep the drinks and plates off the damn table. Ended up with side tables for food and cup holders in the rail for drinks. I also try to have a dinner before cards or a dedicated dinner break upstairs away from the tables. I can only take watching my brother with a hotdog loaded with fixings no plate or napkin hovering over the table or my other friend who seems to always bring some kind of grease cover wings or such to the game were everyone getting chips and cards all nasty.

Since the new tables and dedicated dinner breaks I went on a 7 tourney win or chop streak, more time to think about cards instead of going on tilt worry about spills and greasy chips.
I get it, but if I told my guys no drinks near the table, I might have an open revolt on my hands!

I get it, but if I told my guys no drinks near the table, I might have an open revolt on my hands!
I would never suggest no drinks near the tables ( I wouldn't even play if that was the case lol) I used side tables but drinks would end up on the felt or balancing on the rail. Cup holders in the rail is the best option for my group.

I think in general reaching over to drink carts will end up causing more spills overall. I could be wrong but that is just my guess.

Carts can certainly work but they take up a lot of space. IMO a built in cup holder makes the most sense and looks good.

I find it very interesting what bothers some people and what doesn’t.

For me cup holders are a must. I have a race track table with cup holders. Works great. Never had a complaint.

Cup holders aren’t anywhere near as annoying as two decks on the table with people passing a pile of cards while you are trying to deal around them. :mad:

Cup holders aren’t anywhere near as annoying as two decks on the table with people passing a pile of cards while you are trying to deal around them. :mad:

Reason you have less perceived room on the table (seems crowded) might be due to having a racetrack...?

Reason you have less perceived room on the table (seems crowded) might be due to having a racetrack...?

I don’t allow two decks on my table. Two decks on other people’s tables....with and without racetracks drive me insane. If one learns how two shuffle it takes 10-15 seconds....far faster than sloppy shuffling and pushing cards around.

Cup holders can prevent spills.

I don’t allow two decks on my table. Two decks on other people’s tables....with and without racetracks drive me insane. If one learns how two shuffle it takes 10-15 seconds....far faster than sloppy shuffling and pushing cards around.

Cup holders can prevent spills.

There have been many threads on 1 vs 2 decks and I think the overwhelming consensus is that it drastically speeds up the game. As much as 50% more hands was a conservative estimate.

Granted, it takes some training to get your players used to it, but we never have cards in the way. By the time The hand is finished, the next deck is ready to go. We use the dealer shuffling method, so after you deal, you shuffle. The dealer should (has the ability to) control where burn and discarded cards go, so they can better gather cards for shuffling after the hand. It’s not overly complicated.

Edited. I’ve never once seen a self dealt single deck game where shuffling takes 15 seconds. And I play with some experienced dealers. If playing your average self dealt single deck game, it seems to avg 1-2 minutes from the time the hand ends, the time the dealer gathers, shuffles cards and starts to deal. The avg poker hand lasts 2 minutes.

There have been many threads on 1 vs 2 decks and I think the overwhelming consensus is that it drastically speeds up the game. As much as 50% more hands was a conservative estimate.

Granted, it takes some training to get your players used to it, but we never have cards in the way. By the time The hand is finished, the next deck is ready to go. We use the dealer shuffling method, so after you deal, you shuffle. The dealer should (has the ability to) control where burn and discarded cards go, so they can better gather cards for shuffling after the hand. It’s not overly complicated.

No doubt it’s more popular. But I would argue that it is not faster with a proper shuffling technique. I assume that’s with groups where most can’t perform a “riffle, riffle, strip, riffle” shuffle. In every game I’ve played in with a two deck system people take at least 30-45 seconds to perform a mediocre shuffle.

I don’t “wash” the deck as I have tested this in ordered decks and found the “riffle, riffle, strip, riffle” to be more than sufficient. In the linked video go to the 1:55 mark to see the entire shuffle performed. Notice the time. 8 seconds by my count. If you learn this shuffle you will be done in the same time most people can pass the shuffled deck and cut it

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I am the only person on this forum that feel this way, but I prefer racetrack with cupholders in it. I've built two tables, one with racetrack and cupholders:

View attachment 164669

and one with cupholders in the rail:

View attachment 164670

Please excuse the sloppy rail upholstering job, that is my Achilles heel. My games are all poverty poker, and most of the guys seem to be more focused on the social aspect. All the cup holders are filled and nobody complains about it. I prefer the racetrack, guys don't always pay attention to what they are doing and it doesn't give me a heart attack if someone puts their drink down on the wood.

Like I said, this cupholder opinion puts me in the extreme minority.

The only way to fly

I will agree that a proper shuffle of riffle-riffle-strip-riffle takes around 10 seconds, and that nothing more is needed.

Also agree that using two decks (shuffle behind) is faster, and since the active dealer is controlling the muck that he will need to shuffle afterwards, so no cards are in the way for the dealer of the next hand as he begins dealing. They are all sitting to his right, getting shuffled for the ~next~ deal.

New dealer cuts the already-shuffled deck, and starts dealing. Simple logic says it's faster, no matter how quick one can shuffle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom