Table: Cup holders, or no cup holders? (1 Viewer)

I will agree that a proper shuffle of riffle-riffle-strip-riffle takes around 10 seconds, and that nothing more is needed.

Also agree that using two decks (shuffle behind) is faster, and since the active dealer is controlling the muck that he will need to shuffle afterwards, so no cards are in the way for the dealer of the next hand as he begins dealing. They are all sitting to his right, getting shuffled for the ~next~ deal.

New dealer cuts the already-shuffled deck, and starts dealing. Simple logic says it's faster, no matter how quick one can shuffle.

I theory yes I guess. But it never seems to work that way. People are often not paying attention and don’t start the shuffle when they should. Also, the shuffler may be involved in the pot. At 10 seconds a shuffle if a guy goes into the tank on a hand, grabs a beer, drops a card, texts a friend, etc and all the time saved is lost.

I’ve just never seen it save any real time and it’s mostly awkward, especially in a full table. If I had to do it passing behind would be preferable.

I used to play mostly cash and still do. There negatives far outweigh any perceived positives. My crew hated it.

Ironically one of my old cash crew friends just hosted a full cash game and for some reason introduced two deck. People bitched the whole time and we got rid of the second deck half way through the night.

The only time we used two decks is when a tourney was heads up and we got two people to shuffle and deal to speed up the game. Usually to free that table up for another cash game

Last edited:
...and collect chips if built in.
...and dictate where you can place your drink if built in.
...and make it more difficult to "spread out" when short handed.

Never had a complain
This is the most meaningless defence of... well anything, when trying to decide "which is better". I drive a Mazda 6. I have given many friends a lift. None have ever complained. Does that make it the best automobile on the market?

No complaints is the goal of the mediocre. If you want your game to just "not suck", then you have accomplished that with in racetrack cupholders. That said, I have had no complaints on my table that has coasters. Hell, I've played on a kitchen table and nobody complained (well I might have, but only in my head). By your "no complaints" standard, they are all equal.

They are not.

This forum has many lively debates, as different people prefer different styles for different reasons. But in no case should the peak of mediocrity be the goal of anyone searching for advice for the best option. My opinions differ from many, and some of those people have even played on my tables without complaints - but I would never take that as implicit acceptance that I have changed their opinions as to which is better.

Last edited:
Not to hijack too far from the OP, but for the cupholder-in-rail crowd...

Do you prefer:
- Small / standard (fits most beer bottles)
- Jumbo 4"
- or Dual Radius

I'm planning my first build this summer, and trying to decide cupholder size. I will definitely have them in the rail.

But Is a hotdog a sandwich?

And can we make hotdog holders in the rail?

Pretty sure @Highlander3 has them built into his table.

94C0C44E-F6A8-401E-95D2-40A4E626B865.jpeg

And my spare table has a dealer tray, which could easily double as a hotdog holder.

AF33E369-1024-46A7-9C16-A385C8E07E7A.jpeg

Do you prefer:
- Jumbo 4"
- or Dual Radius

I'm planning my first build this summer, and trying to decide cupholder size. I will definitely have them in the rail.
I have both. Most of the beverages I provide are bottled water, soda cans, and beer bottles/cans. The all fit perfectly in the small/standard. If you want to add highball glasses/mixed drinks, or any glassware.. use the bigger ones. 20oz soda bottles don't fit in the small/standard ones either, but they have caps, and I don't mind them on the floor next to the seat.

Mark

Hotdog sandwich holders in the rail confirmed awesome (nobody complained), and are definitely faster.

Do you prefer:
- Jumbo 4"
- or Dual Radius

If there’s a concern that the jumbo cup holders are too big for a beer bottle, they’re pretty much unfounded. Multiple times, I’ve had a tall beer bottle in a jumbo cup holder, and accidentally whacked it enough to knock it over. It doesn’t fall. I suppose if the bottle was completely full, a bit of beer could splash out of it, but I like to drink, I’m pretty clumsy, and it’s never been a problem.

Hotdog sandwich holders in the rail confirmed awesome (nobody complained), and are definitely faster.
Who owns a hot dog long enough to put it down? Bite, bite, bite, bite, done. Now I’ll check my cards.

Do you prefer:
- Jumbo 4"
- or Dual Radius

I like the jumbo. I've seen tall-necked beer bottles tipped in them but not spill. @Ben has a collection of small and jumbo slide-unders, and I like having the option, but everything fits in the jumbo, where only some drinks fit in the small. Because we run multi-table tournaments you know people will need to move, it made sence to go with one-size fits all.

Do you prefer:
- Jumbo 4"
- or Dual Radius

In The Rail & Dual Radius only for me.
1. People are going to drink in my games - period
2. I do not like to clean up spills.

It is physically impossible to spill a drink with a dual-stage drink holder. I have jumbo holders on my portable table and they are nice but no one likes them as well as the dual-stage ones.

As far as not being able to spread out when it is short handed is just silly to me. I have no problem moving around and having my drink 14" farther to the left if we spread out when we are down to 6 people.

20170624_145502635_iOS.jpg

Who owns a hot dog long enough to put it down? Bite, bite, bite, bite, done. Now I’ll check my cards.

Ben had a hot-dog roller at SSSS (along with choice of dogs - confirmed awesome)
2018-03-29 15.35.35.jpg

It bugged me to no end that people fixed a dog, walked over to the table, sat down, and then ate it there. The obvious answer was to get the frank, eat it walking back to the table, clean hands, then sit down.

Ben had a hot-dog roller at SSSS (along with choice of dogs - confirmed awesome)
View attachment 165083

It bugged me to no end that people fixed a dog, walked over to the table, sat down, and then ate it there. The obvious answer was to get the frank, eat it walking back to the table, clean hands, then sit down.
Meh.. no non-beef franks???

...and collect chips if built in.
...and dictate where you can place your drink if built in.
...and make it more difficult to "spread out" when short handed.

This is the most meaningless defence of... well anything, when trying to decide "which is better". I drive a Mazda 6. I have given many friends a lift. None have ever complained. Does that make it the best automobile on the market?

No complaints is the goal of the mediocre. If you want your game to just "not suck", then you have accomplished that with in racetrack cupholders. That said, I have had no complaints on my table that has coasters. Hell, I've played on a kitchen table and nobody complained (well I might have, but only in my head). By your "no complaints" standard, they are all equal.

They are not.

This forum has many lively debates, as different people prefer different styles for different reasons. But in no case should the peak of mediocrity be the goal of anyone searching for advice for the best option. My opinions differ from many, and some of those people have even played on my tables without complaints - but I would never take that as implicit acceptance that I have changed their opinions as to which is better.[/QUOTE

That’s a pretty extreme interpretation of what I said with a lot of projection there

“No complaints” to me means no one including my self ever was bothered or saw any type of reason to improve or change anything.

We have been wearing shoes with shoe laces for 1000s of years. Velcro may be easier but obviously people have not found the need to change. It simply doesn’t bother anyone. Are shoe laces an excuse for mediocrity?

What one person person finds offensive other doesn’t notice at all

Last edited:
View attachment 165083

Duly noted and added to the "how to tilt a zombie" list. :D

View attachment 165083

Right? That’s how my buddy ended up smearing mustard all over my desjgns a few weeks ago. What the hell? It’s a hot dog! Suck it down like scooby doo!

sorry... no non-all beef hotdogs... ick :) I prefer the old school chicken/pork/beef/roadkill lips and asshole version myself. I'm ok with that

I generally make it a rule not to buy things for games that I won't eat myself if left unconsumed...

Roadkill-ass hotdogs definitely in that category. :sick:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom