Table: Cup holders, or no cup holders? (1 Viewer)

liftapint

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Cup holders, or no cup holders? That is the question.

I'm about to order my first Chanman. I can't decide whether to get cup holders or not. i have a few drink carts, and think it might be better to have drinks off the table. Will I regret that choice?

I'm about to order my first Chanman. I can't decide whether to get cup holders or not. i have a few drink carts, and think it might be better to have drinks off the table. Will I regret that choice?

No cup holders.

That way, you’re not married to a particular space at table. 10-handed, fine... 9-handed, noroblem, 8-handed, lotsa room..

If you have cupholders in the rail, it locks you into where your seat is, and truth be told, I hate having my drink there. It’s always in the way...

That way, you’re not married to a particular space at table. 10-handed, fine... 9-handed, noroblem, 8-handed, lotsa room..
I like this. Which is why I used to support slide under cup holders. But I was kidding myself all along - slide under cup holders are just an imperfect solution because they get in the way.
If it was me, I’d build an octagon (because I really don’t like ovals for a variety of reasons) with cup holders built into the rail on the corners, because that’s where I like them.
But if it’s for somebody who really wants an oval, I think drink carts or just fold up tables are the least objectionable solution.

In order, I prefer (1) side table/cart, (2) slide-under, and (3) in rail.

Re an octagon with drink holders at the corners, my elbows and the drinks want to occupy the same space at the same time. :eek:
I’ve seen plenty of people say that. I can only assume they have small octagons or long arms. I just feel awkward with my drink centered in front of me - I prefer it off to the side. Which is another reason I used to argue for the slide unders - it allows for personal preferences.
There’s no right answer to this debate.

ugh i been in the same dilemma what did you decide

Order placed. No cup holders.
Agree with this personally, but I've softened a bit on my no-holders-in-rail position...... so long as the table is also capable of supporting slide-under holders.

Although I despise having my drink directly in front of me (and absolutely refuse to put it there under any circumstances), there's no law that says I can't put it elsewhere just because there's a stupid-hole-directly-in-front-of-me configuration that somebody else might prefer.

Slide-unders give me that additional option, even with preset holes regardless where they are located in realation to my seat.

Cup holders for me. And, going one step further, I like them on the playing surface. I know, I'm the only one who does, in the history of poker! :p

Cup holders for me. And, going one step further, I like them on the playing surface. I know, I'm the only one who does, in the history of poker! :p

My current table has a racetrack with cup holders in the track. I don't mind it -- I think I'd actually like that more than cup holders in the rail. So maybe you aren't as much of an island as you think!

I was going to say that’s not the worst... then Mel posted THIS

My current table has a racetrack with cup holders in the track. I don't mind it -- I think I'd actually like that more than cup holders in the rail. So maybe you aren't as much of an island as you think!

Yup, Mel beat me to it... racetrack AND cup holders (table golf, anyone?)

Ha ha. I love this place

I'm pretty sure I am the only person on this forum that feel this way, but I prefer racetrack with cupholders in it. I've built two tables, one with racetrack and cupholders:

reverse platinum.jpg

and one with cupholders in the rail:

poker table.jpg

Please excuse the sloppy rail upholstering job, that is my Achilles heel. My games are all poverty poker, and most of the guys seem to be more focused on the social aspect. All the cup holders are filled and nobody complains about it. I prefer the racetrack, guys don't always pay attention to what they are doing and it doesn't give me a heart attack if someone puts their drink down on the wood.

Like I said, this cupholder opinion puts me in the extreme minority.

Has anyone ever tried a cup holder rail beneath the main rail. Sort of like how a craps table has it. I haven’t seen one personally, but considering building a table like this.

+4 to the slide-under camp.
  • Lefty and righty sitting next to each other - move the cupholder.
  • Like it in the middle, put it in the middle.
  • Have more space, spread them out.
  • Since they're on the table, they provide a barrier for wayward chips that might wind up between two players, preventing the "Whose chip is this" question.

Do people complain about built in cup holders? No. That however, is irrelevant to which is better. There is no advantage to having them on the rail.

Drink carts are a fine option if you have the space, but since I've broken my back, it is painfully difficult to use them.

Has anyone ever tried a cup holder rail beneath the main rail. Sort of like how a craps table has it. I haven’t seen one personally, but considering building a table like this.

I've seen trays that slid out from under the rail, but they're little better than just being in the rail. A craps table-like self wouldn't work unless everyone stands at your poker table.

There is no advantage to having them on the rail.

That ^ is not totally true. You have more real state on the playing surface for chips and cards if you're using the cups on the rail. Also, the slide ins (at least for me) impair the view of other player's stacks.

Not arguing which is better as we all have our opinions but saying there is no advantage having them on the rail is not accurate IMO. As it is not accurate to say there is no advantage having them as slide-ins. Pros and cons to all the options.

More space avail. on the table if they're in the rail. That said, I infinitely prefer either in-rail or slide-under to drink carts.
I’m always very conscious about setting up my chips in front of me so that everybody can tell at a glance how much I’ve got.
The slide under cup holders always seem to frustrate that.

I've seen trays that slid out from under the rail, but they're little better than just being in the rail. A craps table-like self wouldn't work unless everyone stands at your poker table.
For the shelf...just not enough room?
Maybe a small version that fits whiskey tumblers and cans is feasible with a raised rail?

For the shelf...just not enough room?
Maybe a small version that fits whiskey tumblers and cans is feasible with a raised rail?

I see what you are getting at, and the idea now intrigues me. However, I'm still doubtful that it could be done without some unpleasant concessions. Sitting by myself at my table the gap from my legs to the table is pretty narrow, and you have to account for some room for getting up and sitting down, unless someone is going to push your chair in for you, so I don't think there's much space you can take away from that area.. A raised rail only gives you an inch or two, and that's for a WSOP-depth table. complete with cameras.

poker-table-plans-raised-rail-1.jpg

In the above image you can see how small the unused space is. Less than a man's fist, laying sideways. The next image shows the depth to be about 15-17 chips deep - not enough for any drink.

ap_world_series_of_poker_92443635.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom