Super Bowl result & thinking out loud (1 Viewer)

SixSpeedFury

Full House
Reaction score
Pete Carroll's decision to fubar the Seahawks chances of a repeat had me thinking: as the top player that's put on the spot in a critical play, can't you override the coaches decision if you know that it's the wrong call and it'll cost you the game? I'm not sure what the penalties might be for that, but I'll take them knowing that I won us the championship! On the flip side, overriding a coaches gameplay might cost you the game as well, so it's a catch-22. Sound off, sports fans!

the stats are the stats, it looks horrible after the fact.

I saw on ESPN this morning there were 109 pass attempts inside the 1 yard line this year. and this is the first interception from those plays

Marshawn Lynch only had 5 carries inside the 1 this year and only 1 time he scored.

So glad to shut the vocal minority up with Seattle Fans, if you're a Seattle Fan and have been for more than a few years, good for you. But if you just started becoming one of the "12" within the last few great years, your tears taste so so so good.

CUE THE DUCKBOATS, PATRIOTS FANS!

It's easy to second-guess after it happens... if they had run the ball and it were fumbled, it would be a different story. But a fumble isn't that much less likely that an interception on a pass like the one we saw last night- Wilson would not have thrown the ball unless it looked really certain to connect.

The slam-in interception we saw was a rare convergence of angles and positions to allow for an open receiver while someone drives in from behind with better leverage to knock them out of the way while intercepting the ball. On the replays, you should notice that the receiver was running upright, while the interceptor was driving in from a crouch - as if to tackle the receiver. If he had been a fraction of a second later, it would have just been a tackle. If he had been a fraction of a second earlier, it would have been pass interference. (It would not be an interception - if the receiver wasn't there, the ball wouldn't have been thrown!) As it was, he was in the perfect moment to knock aside the receiver as he intercepted the ball.

And if Wilson had not found an open receiver, he might yet have run the ball. Wilson could very easily run for a yard when the field opens up.

And they'd still have multiple down to try to run it in.

This was not a "horrible decision" by Carroll - but it went against him, and the Monday-morning quarterbacks are legion, and loud.

Reactions: BNM
There's an argument to be made that passing on 2nd down is the right play because with 1 timeout left it gives you 3 plays to get instead of 2 plays if you run the ball on 2nd down. That said, you want to score - you need to score - and Lynch was almost unstoppable that game. If I'm a Seahawks fan I'm perfectly find handing it off twice there and losing - Lynch is my best player, and if you get stopped, your best got stopped, whaddyagonnado? Once you decide to throw, you're putting yourself open to being judged based on the result because you're taking a chance trying to cap the season off with something less than the best player on your team.

I was initially in the "fire the coach, fire the O coordinator" camp - I'm not any more after seeing some of the logic behind the playcall, but Pete Carroll still lost that game for them.

So glad to shut the vocal minority up with Seattle Fans, if you're a Seattle Fan and have been for more than a few years, good for you. But if you just started becoming one of the "12" within the last few great years, your tears taste so so so good.

CUE THE DUCKBOATS, PATRIOTS FANS!

That's pretty funny coming from a city that's still whining about trading Babe Ruth in 1919. Is Boston going to have a centennial year of mourning in 2019?

That's pretty funny coming from a city that's still whining about trading Babe Ruth in 1919. Is Boston going to have a centennial year of mourning in 2019?

9 Championships in 15 years, "they hate us cause they aint us"

Pete Carroll's decision to fubar the Seahawks chances of a repeat had me thinking: as the top player that's put on the spot in a critical play, can't you override the coaches decision if you know that it's the wrong call and it'll cost you the game?

To answer your question, veteran QB's are allowed to make adjustments based on last second reads but that is different than just "making a different play for the sake of disliking the play call". They setup the throw because the Pats line was prepared for the rush. The interception was a miracle play by an undrafted rookie. It was our Tyree play if you will.

You must have not visited in the city lately. Red Sox have won the World Series once.. I mean twice.. .I mean 3 times since any talk of the curse. I don't think you can diss Red Sox fans. They're just a tad more passionate than your average team.

10443990_10153099901406908_2586922660473135200_n.jpg

10959736_10152746026099790_8587609888554879670_n.jpg

$100 100-Block that pays the score (and it's reverse) at the end of every quarter, $1000 to each at the end of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd and $2000 to each for the final score. Of three squares purchased two of mine were 8-1 and 1-8. Fuckers cost me 4 grand.

To answer your question, veteran QB's are allowed to make adjustments based on last second reads but that is different than just "making a different play for the sake of disliking the play call". They setup the throw because the Pats line was prepared for the rush. The interception was a miracle play by an undrafted rookie. It was our Tyree play if you will.

I think the miracle play was a fair answer to the miracle catch that came right before it.

On the subject of the play call, I read an interesting stat. Don't know how bad a play call it was.

194 pass attempts from the 1 in the NFL this year. 0 interceptions.
Marshawn Lynch - 1 for 5 from the 1 yard line this year.

I think the miracle play was a fair answer to the miracle catch that came right before it.

On the subject of the play call, I read an interesting stat. Don't know how bad a play call it was.

read post 2 :)

Wow. Nice reporting. beat me to the punch by a long shot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom