Sunfly vs ABC chips (1 Viewer)

jbomb1018

Two Pair
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a custom set of chips from either sunfly(polyino) or ABC. Was wondering what other PCF members prefer and if there is a price guide for sunfly?

I personally prefer Sun-fly 43mm polyinnos to ABC plain ceramics, but if ABC offered polyinnos I would be all over that.

Polyinno (hybrids with labels) and Polyclay (with mold markings) chips are not offered by ABC/BRPro.

Both companies produce 39mm and 43mm ceramics, along with larger sizes, hexagons, plaques, and dealer buttons.

Product quality and workmanship of both is excellent.

Does anyone know the pricing for Sunfly or who to contact? I have a sample set from ABC of the Valentino high roller chips and like them, but don't have a sample set from Sunfly. Is there a way to acquire a sample set of Sunfly chips?

In my opinion the only edge sunfly has is the polyinno chips have labels which improves the feel for me. ABC edges out on cost and shipping time and I would give them an edge in customer service as well (not that sunfly is bad by any means).

With ABC, are all their chips textured on the faces or is that something that needs to be asked for?

Like others have said, just depends on what you want.

It's been noted that ABC does not make hybrid (polyinno) chips, so if you are trying to just straight compare 39mm ceramics I'd personally go with ABC just based on my experience working with Gene and the quality of his product.

Not to say Sunfly is bad either though, I love their polyinno chips. If it's a hybrid vs standard ceramic question, I'm going with 43mm hybrids all day long, but that's just my personal preference.

With ABC, are all their chips textured on the faces or is that something that needs to be asked for?

Textured needs to be requested. We have the following blanks available:

-39mm smooth (which is the default that we use for custom orders)
-39mm textured
-43mm smooth
-47mm smooth
-49mm smooth dealer buttons (twice as thick as standard chips)
-60mm smooth dealer buttons (twice as thick as standard chips)

If you have not seen our chips before, I would recommend getting samples. All of the Nevada Jacks sets are done on the textured blanks (Skulls, Saloon Series & Desert Sands) and all other sets are on our smooth blanks, so you can always get one NJ sample set + one of our other sample sets to get a feel for both. In my opinion, the smooth chips are superior, and there is no cost difference between the two...but that's just my two cents! ;)

-Kristil

Like others have said, just depends on what you want.

It's been noted that ABC does not make hybrid (polyinno) chips, so if you are trying to just straight compare 39mm ceramics I'd personally go with ABC just based on my experience working with Gene and the quality of his product.

Not to say Sunfly is bad either though, I love their polyinno chips. If it's a hybrid vs standard ceramic question, I'm going with 43mm hybrids all day long, but that's just my personal preference.
Its just to see what others prefer and why

Textured needs to be requested. We have the following blanks available:

-39mm smooth (which is the default that we use for custom orders)
-39mm textured
-43mm smooth
-47mm smooth
-49mm smooth dealer buttons (twice as thick as standard chips)
-60mm smooth dealer buttons (twice as thick as standard chips)

If you have not seen our chips before, I would recommend getting samples. All of the Nevada Jacks sets are done on the textured blanks (Skulls, Saloon Series & Desert Sands) and all other sets are on our smooth blanks, so you can always get one NJ sample set + one of our other sample sets to get a feel for both. In my opinion, the smooth chips are superior, and there is no cost difference between the two...but that's just my two cents! ;)

-Kristil
I have a Valentino high roller sample set, the faces feel textured, are they not suppose to be?

Does anyone know the pricing for Sunfly or who to contact? I have a sample set from ABC of the Valentino high roller chips and like them, but don't have a sample set from Sunfly. Is there a way to acquire a sample set of Sunfly chips?
I have an excess of sunfly 25s i could send you a shuffle stack to compare to abc if still haven’t found any.

I’m not sure where they fall in terms of the variations being discussed but they are these and I’m a fan:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...n-aruba-sunfly-ceramic-poker-chip-sets.30500/

I have a Valentino high roller sample set, the faces feel textured, are they not suppose to be?

Those are done on the smooth blanks...however they have a matte surface (not glossy) so that may be the feel you are describing. The textured blanks have a more textured look and feel (it's usually referred to as a "fine linen" texture but I'm not sure how much that helps to describe it LOL). To me, the textured chips are a little more slippery in a stack (doesn't sound like it makes sense because you would think textured = less slippery) but it's because there is less surface area touching between chips since there's a very slightly 'bumpy' surface. Since the smooth chips don't have that textured/bumpy surface, they stack better in my opinion. It really is preference though, I've had plenty of people ask for textured chips and they prefer them over our smooth blanks. But the majority of custom semi-custom chips we do are smooth.

Those are done on the smooth blanks...however they have a matte surface (not glossy) so that may be the feel you are describing. The textured blanks have a more textured look and feel (it's usually referred to as a "fine linen" texture but I'm not sure how much that helps to describe it LOL). To me, the textured chips are a little more slippery in a stack (doesn't sound like it makes sense because you would think textured = less slippery) but it's because there is less surface area touching between chips since there's a very slightly 'bumpy' surface. Since the smooth chips don't have that textured/bumpy surface, they stack better in my opinion. It really is preference though, I've had plenty of people ask for textured chips and they prefer them over our smooth blanks. But the majority of custom semi-custom chips we do are smooth.
That is good to know! Thank you! I may have to look at getting a NJ sample set just so I can compare the two textures.

I don't have samples of ABC 43mm, but as for the 39mm, both are excellent and high quality in my mind.

For me, they are so close that I would say it would depend on what I'm printing. For some designs, if you could incorporate the label for PolyInno 39mm, it could be very premium, but for other designs where you don't want to "limit" yourself to separate label and ceramic sections, the ABC would work in your favor. The separation between label and ceramic should be something you can take advantage of in your design. If you can't do that, don't try too hard with that "obstacle" and go with ABC.

But I do want to note that 43mm can be a different history. I think there's a significant difference between PolyInno 39mm and 43mm both in feel and sound, so if you're unsure and are ordering samples, be sure to try them all and don't assume the other size will be the same but larger/smaller.

So without the matte finish, would you say the smooth and the smooth with matte finish are comparable as to being able to stack them or would the matte be able to be stacked better due to the little bit of texture on them?

So without the matte finish, would you say the smooth and the smooth with matte finish are comparable as to being able to stack them or would the matte be able to be stacked better due to the little bit of texture on them?

All the smooth chips have the matte surface. There are only 2 options for 39mm - smooth or textured. There is no smooth without the matte finish (basically no one wants a glossy chip otherwise they'd slide all over the place). :)

You can't go wrong with either.

The question will be whether you want hybrids, do you need in-house design, how long can you wait, etc. Budget-wise I would say they are similar after shipping costs included.
With the labels in the hybrids, has there been any trouble with those coming out do you know?

I've myself :
- Nevada Jacks Skulls
- SunFly PolyClay (both Diamonds and Cards Mold)
- SunFly PolyInno 43mm / 25mm labels

All stack like bricks.

I like all these a lot and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Let me know the type of chip you decide to use and I'll update your design to fit it.

Do ceramics these days still have color transfer like Chipco did back in the day? I'm thinking about a tournament set and while I love my CPC cash chips, they are so damn expensive. Sorry for the slight threadjack, but the question seems relevant while talking about preferences.

Do ceramics these days still have color transfer like Chipco did back in the day? I'm thinking about a tournament set and while I love my CPC cash chips, they are so damn expensive. Sorry for the slight threadjack, but the question seems relevant while talking about preferences.

I haven't noticed any in mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom