Sun-fly sample chips for Ravenor Classic (1 Viewer)

tyrion1705

Pair
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can order sample chips from Sun-fly or any other place? I'd like to get samples of the Ravenor Classic and Lucky Dragon chips. If any one has some they'd like to sell or loan to me, I would like to do that too. I am interested in the 25, 100, 500, 1000, and 5000 denominations.

http://www.apollonchips.com/chipseries/the-ravenor-classic.html

http://www.apollonchips.com/chipseries/lucky-dragon.html

Not sure if you can get samples direct from Sun-Fly. I did pick up a barrel of Tommy’s Sun-Fly 39 mm Polyinno samples he listed above....they’d give you a good idea of feel and quality. A definite thumbs up on both fronts for me. As you can see, these have the larger inlay....really nice chips and 20 of them stack and shuffle well.
0D006A14-0B78-493F-A586-B68B063C6ED8.jpeg

The Ravenor and Lucky Dragon chips are not hybrids, though. I believe they are full ceramic.

The Lucky Dragon's are definitely full ceramic. Interesting on the Ravenor though...….looks like a sticker inlay to me with an actual impression on the mold. I wonder if any PCFer's have this type of Sun-Fly chip. Not a fan of the mold impression itself but they might have a nice feel to them.

nteresting on the Ravenor though...….looks like a sticker inlay to me with an actual impression on the mold. I wonder if any PCFer's have this type of Sun-Fly chip. Not a fan of the mold impression itself but they might have a nice feel to them.

Its a full ceramic chip. I had some of these before. The inner circle is just part of the mold. Makes a nice "inlay" effect.

Last edited:
@Pete thanks for that thread, I will see what I can do there. I'd still like these chips as I see people post all the time, get samples to make sure colors look correct.

The Lucky Dragon's are definitely full ceramic. Interesting on the Ravenor though...….looks like a sticker inlay to me with an actual impression on the mold. I wonder if any PCFer's have this type of Sun-Fly chip. Not a fan of the mold impression itself but they might have a nice feel to them.
I ran a group buy for Lucid Diamond samples a few years back -- Sun-Fly had a minimum order size of 200 chips total (we bought about 50 sample sets).

The Polyclay line of chips have full-face printing on a ceramic blank that contains mold markings (either cards, diamonds, or a custom mold for $4k) along with a molded center ring depression (which can enhance the appearance that it's not a full printing).

The chips feel, sound, and handle better than stock ceramic chips (I have a review posted around here somewhere), although the newer 43mm hybrid chips are even better (the 39mm hybrids are about a wash, since they weigh less).

I think that the diamond mold markings are nicely done, although I personally feel that the card mold looks a little cheesy. If getting customs (vs one of Sun-Fly's stock offerings), you can use the diamond mold with any artwork, or even have them make a custom mold with unique mold markings per your specification.

CLIFFS: Better than stock ceramics, not as nice as hybrids, and custom molds are available. And like most Sun-Fly products, a group buy purchase is where the real benefits kick in -- discounted quantity pricing and spreading the significant overseas air shipping cost across many chips can drive the final costs way down compared to an individual order.

I ran a group buy for Lucid Diamond samples a few years back -- Sun-Fly had a minimum order size of 200 chips total (we bought about 50 sample sets).

The Polyclay line of chips have full-face printing on a ceramic blank that contains mold markings (either cards, diamonds, or a custom mold for $4k) along with a molded center ring depression (which can enhance the appearance that it's not a full printing).

The chips feel, sound, and handle better than stock ceramic chips (I have a review posted around here somewhere), although the newer 43mm hybrid chips are even better (the 39mm hybrids are about a wash, since they weigh less).

I think that the diamond mold markings are nicely done, although I personally feel that the card mold looks a little cheesy. If getting customs (vs one of Sun-Fly's stock offerings), you can use the diamond mold with any artwork, or even have them make a custom mold with unique mold markings per your specification.

CLIFFS: Better than stock ceramics, not as nice as hybrids, and custom molds are available. And like most Sun-Fly products, a group buy purchase is where the real benefits kick in -- discounted quantity pricing and spreading the significant overseas air shipping cost across many chips can drive the final costs way down compared to an individual order.
So, for the price, which one is better, 39mm PolyClay or 43mm PolyInno? And what is the inner ring diameter of the mold, is it 1 inch?

For the price, nothing in the entire chip market can touch the 43mm hybrids with 25mm recess, imo.
quicksilver-75 and timinater both have the 43mm hybrids with super grand decal (1.25 inch) for their respective Silver Club Tournament and CDI High Denom Add-On. So, what's the difference of the 43mm with the AC Oversize/1 Inch and Super Grand/1.25 Inch decals in term of slipperiness?

what's the difference of the 43mm with the AC Oversize/1 Inch and Super Grand/1.25 Inch decals in term of slipperiness?
The larger recess and larger label means less surface contact area and less weight, contributing to less friction and a more slippery chip compared to the heavier version with smaller recess/label.

The larger recess and larger label means less surface contact area and less weight, contributing to less friction and a more slippery chip compared to the heavier version with smaller recess/label.
Have you tried the inclined board experiment, to see at which angle it slides down?

Not on the hybrids. The differences are very noticeable.

If anyone cares, I emailed someone at Sun fly, and they are telling me up to 150 chips is $48 for shipping which seems extreme. I suggested they look into a cheaper option for a sample pack, as customers in the untied states would want a way to handle some of the chips.

Their hands are tied -- they are somewhat required to ship by air freight courier, since it's illegal to possess poker equipment (but not to make it, go figure). Mailing through the local postal service (at cheaper rates) is not a legal option.

The only other shipping option is by sea freight, which a) takes forever, literally months, b) requires an insane amount of paperwork and related logistics to set up and manage at both ends, and c) makes absolutely no sense for small quantities of items.

High prices for air shipments from that region are part of doing business with companies that have relatively low labor costs to partially make up for it. And it's why group buys for large quantities can help reduce per unit costs by spreading shipping costs over more chips/racks/whatever along with getting volume discounts.

Thanks for the background information, but it would be great if some American seller like apache carried them. Oh well. I'll keep my eyes open for a group buy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom