Suicide Queen Melee' VI - Pandemic Poker - February 17-21, 2021 (6 Viewers)

Ben8257

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like sprinkled Oldbay on there as well Mark!! Doesn't seem like our favorite local spice is very readily available in the south which sucks. If you ever need more just let us know and we would be happy to ship it down and keep you stocked up!!

We always travel with OldBay and hot sauce, we can survive without other things but those are the essentials! May also sound like sacrilege but it is fantastic in beer.

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like sprinkled Oldbay on there as well Mark!! Doesn't seem like our favorite local spice is very readily available in the south which sucks. If you ever need more just let us know and we would be happy to ship it down and keep you stocked up!!

We always travel with OldBay and hot sauce, we can survive without other things but those are the essentials! May also sound like sacrilege but it is fantastic in beer.
Maybe you've had bad luck, but Old Bay is very easy to find in Orlando - any of the major grocery chains carry it.

My wife swears by the stuff for seafood and a few other things, so we always have a can in the cabinet. I haven't tried Old Bay or hot sauce in beer - I might have to wait for the next meetup and try that one with you!

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I didn't expect to attend SQM this year, and I'd already made some plans for this weekend. When I found out that @k9dr was going to do "SQM-lite" this year, I didn't think I could make it. But as this weekend approached, I realized that some little bit of normalcy would be good for me. Like all the rest of us, I've been largely cooped up at home, eating too much and not exercising enough, and it's taken a toll on my emotional state for sure.

So I reached out to Mark, who told me he was capped at one table but had a single open seat, and he would love to have me. He said something like "you're the kind of player we can build a game around," which I thought was a super nice thing to say! Mrs. S gave me the thumbs up (after I explained that it would be <10 people and everyone was getting tested before the event), and Mark offered me a place to sleep Friday night. I made the 2.5 hour drive Friday, intending to play for the day and head back to Orlando early Saturday to get my mountain of weekend work done.

When I arrived Friday about 12:30pm, I was barely out of my car when greeted by @Lil Tuna shouting "GEORGE!" from the balcony. (He knows that's not my real name, but he and a couple others call me that because I've used Costanza as an avatar since the CT days.) I walked in, ready to throw my beer in the fridge, pull out some cash, and join the game - but no game was going yet. What? Where's the degen action? Why doesn't the room reek of booze, old hundred dollar bills, and @MatB's broken digestive system?

Instead we caught up for a bit, played some OFCP for fun (which I crushed in spite of a few questionable sets, never once touching my original rack of NCC dollars), and just did a ton of relaxed socializing. Eventually we got the usual circus game going, starting off with a few dice orbits (each dealer rolled a die to pick a random game for that hand), then later moving to the more standard orbit + 1 dealer's choice. But even then, the game was extremely relaxed. We wrapped up the game about 10pm, and then sat around and talked for another hour or so before calling it a night.

The weekend seemed a little less about the poker itself and more about using poker as an excuse to enjoy each other's company. Now don't get me wrong - a huge part of every meetup is hanging out and catching up with friends that you don't see often, putting new faces to PCF screen names, and just enjoying a weekend of being with a bunch of like minds who are passionate about this hobby. And maybe, apart from the size, this time wasn't any different. I think I probably just noticed it more because it has been so absent from my life for the past few months.

It was fantastic to meet @Ben8257 and @FordPickup92 - you guys are awesome, and your obvious passion for chipping is insane (in a good way)! I hope you become regulars on the meetup circuit, and I look forward to seeing you again soon.
@ekricket and @travelgirl, it's always a great pleasure. I hope to get out to NM this year, and I will definitely bring one of my telescopes if I'm able to come.
@Anthony Martino, just keep being you, buddy.
I wish I'd been able to spend a little more time with @pltrgyst, but food poisoning kept him away on Friday. Luckily we did get to chat for a few minutes and share a whisky as I was on my way out Saturday. Thanks as always for giving me a chance to experience another new bottle.

And finally, thanks as always to @k9dr. Running even a small meetup is work, but you were obviously having fun and a lot more relaxed with a smaller crowd. Thanks also for the personalized mask - as a last-minute addition, I wasn't expecting one so it was a pleasant surprise. It's always great to spend time together, and my single day out there was too short.

I'm already looking forward to SQM VII - A Cure for Greyscale!

Lil Tuna

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made it home safe and sound about 10:30pm last night. First and foremost I want to thank Mark (@k9dr) for hosting such a great event and for all of his wonderful hospitality. I have looked forward to getting back to SQM 21 ever since I left Anna Maria Island in 2020. I can’t thank you enough Mark for making this week so special.

@Ben8257 and @FordPickup92, so glad you guys made it down. It was a blast getting to share felt time with you guys at one of my favorite places to splash pots. You just can’t beat great friends, awesome chips, terrific weather and a beautiful venue to meet and experience it all. Over the last year you guys have become great friends in and out of the world of chipping and it was really awesome getting share the SQM 21 experience with you.

Mr. Larry, (@pltrgyst) it was truly an honor getting to spend a couple days hanging out with you. Lunch together at Rod and Reel pier and then chopping the circus tournament with you afterwards made Thursday just a down right terrific day, one I’ll remember for a long time. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy the banter and little conversations we’ve had in the last couple years, I can honestly say that I learn something new every time we speak.

I’ve got to give a big congratulations to @ekricket and @travelgirl for taking first and second place in the main tournament. Both of you guys played great and Liz made a huge comeback late to secure second place.
Hanging out with Kevin and Liz has seemed to become a regular thing for me this last year, this being our fourth meeting to splash pots together since SQM20. I look forward to many more meet ups and visits with the two of you in the future and I greatly appreciate the new direction of opportunity that you guys opened my mind up to. Can’t wait to see where things go in the coming months.

@Anthony Martino, it was so good to see you again and share some laughs. It’s great to hear that your new direction with poker is going well for you and that it’s given you the opportunity to enjoy life more on your terms. I greatly admire you taking on that challenge and I look forward to hearing about where that journey takes you.
Thanks much for the pizza you bought for the group on Saturday, it was delicious. Getting to sit down and enjoy it while conversing with you and Larry about poker and such made it all that much better.
As Mike Sexton used to always say, “May all of your cards be live and may all of your pots be monsters” going forward Anthony.

Last but definitely not least, Chris(@Schmendr1ck) I was so happy to find out you were going to be the surprise visitor on Friday. Your always going to be a chipper I can look WAY UP TO. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: Being new to OFCP and getting to play some hands with you and Mark was very fun. I always enjoy hearing and seeing another persons strategies on a game I’m beginning to learn and like very much.
So glad you were able to find the time to join us.
Because of your avatar you’ll always be “George” to me. When I first met you last year I couldn’t believe the contrast in your height vs little George from Seinfeld, it makes me laugh every time I think about it.
Thanks for coming down my friend.

So to wrap things up a bit I’d really like to say that I never knew when I started collecting chips where this hobby would lead me to. I started off trying to complete a set of WTHCs and wound up in the company of so many new friends and great people. The chips are great but I’ve realized that most of that is because of many of you all here.
Thanks so much again @k9dr for hosting, I can’t wait to get back next year.
Cheers!
EEDAFA10-30E8-4F06-AD9D-9E0B12B29014.jpeg
AC0AA6F4-6F09-4E3E-A314-D0D8CA204A0C.jpeg
147FFA3F-15D7-4823-946C-6F7D0A29DFE8.jpeg
0F6C99F1-D123-4FBF-8AB6-291EAFFEEC98.jpeg
52685E71-C903-4729-9BF4-A6892003DF9D.jpeg
30D11544-67DF-49C1-A89B-B041AB03C66C.jpeg
84496CE3-5AF1-4BE4-AB13-B465EC63F168.jpeg
E1EB85DB-B1E0-432D-AEB5-2A3DEDAE1734.jpeg

pltrgyst

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Maybe you've had bad luck, but Old Bay is very easy to find in Orlando - any of the major grocery chains carry it.

My wife swears by the stuff for seafood and a few other things, so we always have a can in the cabinet. I haven't tried Old Bay or hot sauce in beer - I might have to wait for the next meetup and try that one with you!
Should be available in any supermarket from MD down to FL

I'm especially fond of the Blackened Old Bay -- it's a nice combination on mild fish.

travelgirl

Pair
Reaction score

Zatarains or Tony Chachere’s all the way!

Jeff

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that the year you won the tourney ?? If so, maybe you and @Jeff are on to something - the +EV of limited vision :unsure:
I had eye holes in the bag so I could see just fine...I had the bag because so many people were reading me like a book, so had to shut off my tells.

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in Jim's thread about driving the Hard Rock Cincy chips home, I commented on how I never miss an opportunity to have Skyline Chili. I grew up on the stuff.

I've known there's a Skyline in Clearwater, but it's pretty far out of the way when driving to SQM. What I didn't realize until now is there's also a Skyline in Lakewood Ranch. LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES OUT OF MY WAY.

1614286396168.png

So, Mark, about that SQM part 2 you were hosting this weekend...? :love:

Jonesey07

Full House
Reaction score
So in Jim's thread about driving the Hard Rock Cincy chips home, I commented on how I never miss an opportunity to have Skyline Chili. I grew up on the stuff.

I've known there's a Skyline in Clearwater, but it's pretty far out of the way when driving to SQM. What I didn't realize until now is there's also a Skyline in Lakewood Ranch. LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES OUT OF MY WAY.

View attachment 643759

In. Pick me up in Sarasota?

k9dr

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 643759

It's within 3 miles of my house near the h in Foxleigh.

Did you know they have Skyline chili in the frozen foods at Publix.
89261FF1-1C93-4FB6-848E-94FAC3C8954C.jpeg

pltrgyst

Royal Flush
Reaction score

Fwiw, there are a whole bunch of Skylines in FL.

Hard Times Cafe, in Alexandria, VA (the DC area) has outstanding Cincy chili. IMO, our Skyline's chili can't compare.

I know a dozen or so folks who have tried this Skyline, and have yet to hear a positive opinion about the food there.

However, if you go to this branch and hate the food, there's a great place right next door named Atria Cafe...

Ronoh

Full House
Reaction score
I had eye holes in the bag so I could see just fine...I had the bag because so many people were reading me like a book, so had to shut off my tells.
You won the tourney but I’m still happy to have been part of what has to be the most epic runout in a meetup earlier in the game :D

Schmendr1ck

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, there are a whole bunch of Skylines in FL.

Hard Times Cafe, in Alexandria, VA (the DC area) has outstanding Cincy chili. IMO, our Skyline's chili can't compare.

I know a dozen or so folks who have tried this Skyline, and have yet to hear a positive opinion about the food there.

However, if you go to this branch and hate the food, there's a great place right next door named Atria Cafe...
I've been to the one in Lauderdale (Sunrise) several times and have always been happy. I haven't been to any of the others.

I will definitely keep Atria Cafe in mind if I don't like the one in Lakeside Ranch.

Top Bottom