Suicide Queen Melee' IV - Winter is Coming - February 20-24, 2019

MatB

Full House
Reaction score
You’re welcome. Was delicious. But I do think the pie @inca911 made wins by a nose !

SeekTheGrail

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I had a great time at SQM IV 2019! Thanks so much to @k9dr and Cindy for hosting the Canadian crew this year!

Trip highlights
  • many a great new local beer thanks to @Schmendr1ck and @CraigT78
  • interesting west and east hockey discussions with @Jonesey07 and @k9dr
  • winning a lot of the post sqm not playing for money games like 3 handed 9-5-2 and 4 handed Screw your neighbor (warning do not google search instead try the politically correct American spelling Jabberwocky) but not A-hole as 27 cards in your hand is a tad hard to handle!
  • photos with @Anthony Martino and all the support for Canada from the converts!
And congrats to @Leonard for taking down SQM IV! Well played!

As always big thanks to the Canadian contingent @moose @JacNoK and Mmoose for a great trip! Next year Canada will return to the top!

Lastly here is a cool shot of me holding back one of the sharks I encountered at SQM! Cheers and hope to see you next year....Steve

acepilot388

High Hand
Reaction score
It's been a crazy week back to work, finally getting around to writing this.

Thank you so much @k9dr for opening up your home to all of us. I had an amazing time and looking forward to next year if you'll have me back!

@inca911 thank you for dealing at my table Wednesday night and for setting up the micro stakes table on Thursday. It was a great learning experience. I'll probably try to do that at my home games because I need a lot more practice with all of these circus games!

@CraigT78 and @Anthony Martino if there were any two people I hung around the most at this event it was you two. Breakfast one day, dinner one night, and I don't know how many times I was sitting next to Craig at the table. It was great getting to know you guys and looking forward to meeting again!

@Redbelly I enjoyed our conversation about flying on Saturday at dinner. You have me rethinking my whole career and now I might possibly live up to my username. I'm going to be exploring my current options with flying in the military before going civilian. $80K for civilian flight lessons vs. free with the military, big difference!

Sorry I can't name off everyone, but it was a wonderful group of people. Tough poker games, but extremely enjoyable. Hope to see everyone again at future meet ups!

-DJ

ni9n3r

Pair
Reaction score
SQM gets better and better each year. I have to begin by thanking @k9dr for yet again providing such an incredible experience. I really appreciate all of the work you put into the preparation, lasagna, BBQ, and various other hosting duties - I think I'd come for the food alone! I want to see that Piss'd N Broke trophy on the wall next year though!

Next, I need to congratulate @Leonard on his big win - I'm glad my stack could help you take it down! Also, big thanks for the pizza on Friday and the drone demonstration - I may have to get one now :D

As always, thanks to @inca911 for always having the answers and being so helpful no matter what the task. I don't think I've ever been to a meetup where you weren't there, and I'm not so sure I'd want to.

The highlight of the trip for me was definitely seeing the most amazing one outer I may ever see from the unstoppable @CraigT78 vs the always-entertaining @MatB - that 3 on the turn still blows my mind. What may have been even more impressive was witnessing @MatB brush it off and rebuy like it was no thing. Unreal.

It was great to meet and play with a bunch of new faces: @Jonesey07 (thanks for dealing), @acepilot388 (congrats on the Circus Tourny cash) @Mr Tree (see you in April) @Copper44 (thanks for lunch!) @trivialpiper @bentax1978

It was also nice to play with all the familiar faces: @moose @SeekTheGrail @JacNoK & Fran @flipupchipup @Anthony Martino (USA! USA!) @pltrgyst (more short deck next time) @BGinGA (thanks for all the rulings!) @fish72s (hope to see you again soon!) @ChaosRock @Parrothedd - apologies if I missed anyone.

And last but not least, thanks to @Schmendr1ck for providing great company and conversation throughout the entire trip. I look forward to this trip each year and appreciate having a good friend to share it with.

I had a really great time and feel privileged to be able to play with you all each year.

-Jake

Last edited:

Leonard

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Next, I need to congratulate @Leonard on his big win - I'm glad my stack could help you take it down! Also, big thanks for the pizza on Friday and the drone demonstration - I may have to get one now :D
For anybody who is interested, my drone is produced by DJI, the premier consumer drone company at present. I'm certainly no expert, but these drones are a lot of fun and are capable of taking great photos and videos in the right hands (not mine so much).

Mine is a DJI Mavic Pro, which is no longer produced. For a similar, but slightly smaller, drone with an even better camera, I would recommend the DJI Mavic Air with the "fly more" combo which includes extra batteries and supplies. This currently runs about $900-1000.

A smaller, and cheaper option is Mavic Spark, which is about $500 for the combo package.

Both are available, sometimes at a discount, from Amazon and other retailers.

For the full meal deal, there are two versions of the Mavic Pro 2 that are $1500-2000. You would have to do your own research for those.

Look at the fun you could have for just the cost of a few racks of Paulsons...

L

PS Thanks again to @k9dr, @inca911, and the crew. I look forward to playing with you all in the future.

Redbelly

Straight
Reaction score
@Redbelly I enjoyed our conversation about flying on Saturday at dinner. You have me rethinking my whole career and now I might possibly live up to my username. I'm going to be exploring my current options with flying in the military before going civilian. $80K for civilian flight lessons vs. free with the military, big difference!
Your welcome to PM me anytime and I’ll try to answer any questions. Difference with Military vs Civilian is you are unable to enter the Civilian world (seniority and pay) until you have completed your military commitment... for a pilot in the military I think that’s close to 10 years. Not saying it’s wrong, just something to think about. You hit a major within 8-10 years of beginning flying and 80-100k will look like a good investment! Making it to a Major is not a guarantee but it’s much better odds than it use to be. Best of luck!

Top Bottom