Suggestions for how to learn PLO for NLHE players? (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

Our home game group has been playing NLHE for years, mostly tournaments. I'm trying to introduce the idea of trying Pot Limit Omaha. I just started trying to google and look it up on youtube this past weekend. The only thing I knew about it prior was that there pot limit betting and you got 4 cards instead of 2. In looking at youtube, I found plenty of videos just discussing the rules, and plenty of other videos that were more advanced. Can someone point me to articles or videos that best discuss how the basic play/strategy is different for lower level players? Thanks!

As long as you know the basic rules, best way is to just start playing... researching strategy can come later.

It’s like a new board game... spend half an hour browsing the rule book which can feel overwhelming but two minutes in to the game you have the “oh, I get it” moment.

The PCF home game tournaments (PLO and PLHE/PLO) on pokerstars are good ways to become familiar with the game mechanics without taking a financial bath.

Daniel’s vid on PLO is a good overview of the rules and general strategy for someone who is new to the game.

Daniel’s vid on PLO is a good overview of the rules and general strategy for someone who is new to the game.
Thanks very much. I did watch that one. It was a good level for me. Looking for any others that are similar but may go into a little more general strategy items without getting to deep.

As long as you know the basic rules, best way is to just start playing... researching strategy can come later.

It’s like a new board game... spend half an hour browsing the rule book which can feel overwhelming but two minutes in to the game you have the “oh, I get it” moment.
This is really it.
I guess different people learn differently, so maybe books and or videos are better for some people than experience? But I know for me (and I suspect for most actual card players) that experience is so much better than anything else. Bools and videos can help the beginner with “things to look out for” but until you actually experience it and watch it unfolding, time after time, it just doesn’t mean as much.
So, what to do? Free games online are great for learning the basics and the mechanics of a game. You kinda need to get burned with two pair or three pair a number of times, before you realize that it isn’t shit and that boat isn’t coming.
The other thing you can do is start your home game a half hour or an hour early, for people who want to show up early and try playing PLO, maybe for lower stakes. Not everybody will want to. But some will. And hopefully it becomes contagious.

This is really it.
I guess different people learn differently, so maybe books and or videos are better for some people than experience? But I know for me (and I suspect for most actual card players) that experience is so much better than anything else. Bools and videos can help the beginner with “things to look out for” but until you actually experience it and watch it unfolding, time after time, it just doesn’t mean as much.
So, what to do? Free games online are great for learning the basics and the mechanics of a game. You kinda need to get burned with two pair or three pair a number of times, before you realize that it isn’t shit and that boat isn’t coming.
The other thing you can do is start your home game a half hour or an hour early, for people who want to show up early and try playing PLO, maybe for lower stakes. Not everybody will want to. But some will. And hopefully it becomes contagious.
I agree that will definitely help, but I am still looking for something more to look at or watch for when I can't be in a game. Thanks to anyone with something good to recommend. Everybody is different for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom