Suggestions for Canadian buyer (1 Viewer)

Time for new wife.

On the contrary, she has been INCREDIBLY lenient, and has indulged me for a long while. I don't blame her at all. I am surprised I was able to get as far as I have. I'll save up some dough and resume building an RHC cash set I started.

The best thing is, transparency. She knows about all my chips even though she maybe dislikes them. She also can see the value they have and hold. She just has seen enough of them come into our home for no justifiable reason.

Meh. Lots of lovely easy-going gals want to get married.
Not to a fool like me they won't! I'm lucky to have found my queen!

But grail sets....
You lost me...

I don't understand what "Grail" set is. I'm not a Grail set type of chipper. I've never thrown that term around even once...

But I can understand some of us are.

On the contrary, she has been INCREDIBLY lenient, and has indulged me for a long while. I don't blame her at all. I am surprised I was able to get as far as I have. I'll save up some dough and resume building an RHC cash set I started.

The best thing is, transparency. She knows about all my chips even though she maybe dislikes them. She also can see the value they have and hold. She just has seen enough of them come into our home for no justifiable reason.
Pretty sure my woman is judging me for being on here. Please teach me your ways

The main thing is to illustrate to your partner/spouse how happy the chips make you feel. Nothing else to it.

I just kind of failed at staying within a budget of some sort. Too much sporadic spending and not enough selling. Not selling because I'm not able to enjoy using. This is all to blame on COVID.

Not going to blame a pandemic for my chipping woes, but it ain't helping my cause.

The main thing is to illustrate to your partner/spouse how happy the chips make you feel. Nothing else to it.
In addition to Jeevansluck’s suggestion, let her know that you are making new friends, learning new skills, expanding your social network, or whatever other lies you can come up with!

I just married a poker player who appreciates nice chips and trusts my purchasing decisions..... even when they exceeded 50,000 chips....

One thing you can’t complain about is the lack of chippers in the lower mainland.

we have @allforcharity who’s willing to meet and teach even complete strangers about chips on his days off.

One of the best table makers in the world in @T_Chan

@Gear labels for the custom guys

@Jeevansluck who’s just an all around champ and great guy

and others like @LotsOfChips and @RoyalBluff snd many others around who are more than willing to share sample sets and their extensive knowledge. And I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch!

and you’ve got myself, a relatively new chipper that’s always down for a game and will be offering up my house to host the Whister Winter of Whales 2021 meetup. ;)

...and you’ve got myself, a relatively new chipper that’s always down for a game and will be offering up my house to host the Whister Winter of Whales 2021 meetup. ;)
That's freaking awesome! I've been thinking about how to set up a Lower Mainland Meet-up for a while now. Tony hosted a small one a while back, before I joined the forum. With so many chippers, and so many incredible sets in the region, I think it would be pretty easy to round up enough local chippers for a meet-up. Keep me on the invite list!

Edit - at last count there were about 35 members in the region, plus a bunch more just across the border (assuming that it will be open by next winter)

Last edited:
That's freaking awesome! I've been thinking about how to set up a Lower Mainland Meet-up for a while now. Tony hosted a small one a while back, before I joined the forum. With so many chippers, and so many incredible sets in the region, I think it would be pretty easy to round up enough local chippers for a meet-up. Keep me on the invite list!

Edit - at last count there were about 35 members in the region, plus a bunch more just across the border (assuming that it will be open by next winter)

I'd be targeting something like this time next year. I followed @bivey and his amazing Uncorked meetup, so I'd like to do something similar north of the 49th.

I shouldn't derail this thread though, but when I have more details I'll reach out to you guys.

Hello there
I have a little over 2000 Crazy Horse Chips and 1000 Scroll Ceramics. I really like the ceramic chips they have a nice feel to them, they are slightly loose in regular trays and possible 21 chips will fit otherwise they are all perfectly conforming and stack nicely. If buying from strait poker supplies this is probably their best poker chip.....runner up for a cheap set are their Prestiege Plastic chips....for a cheap set those chips are really nice and I have also purchased a 650(750) chip set that will travel with me to work up north.

As for the crazy horse chips.......I really like them BUT!
It is a little late to get the whole set. The 25c, 50c,$10 and 5k,10k chips are not available in the quality form. Only the 50c and 10k chips are avail....Issue their are quality issues with the 50c chips such that they are not the same size and are slightly larger than the regular denoms....they do however feel slightly heavier and actually nicer (i'd prefer the whole set to be of this material) The chips are uniform but just slightly thicker than the others denoms, this same issue goes for the $50, 5000 and 10000 chips. A problem I had, there are multiple runs of these chips and the batches are slightly different colours.....originally I got 10,000 chips that were identical to the $1000 chips except for the sticker....the dealer replaced them for the proper orange ones that are nice. The 5000 chips I got are washed out in colour and much less pink than the standard 5000 chip advertised or what was received in my sampler set. The chips come covered in Chinese magic dust that will only come off with handling. Overall they are decent chips but I'd want to buy them in person to ensure you got a uniform set, otherwise be prepared to have to do some trouble shooting.

Hands down $ for $ i'd recommend the scroll ceramics over the crazy horse chips at present.

Overall I have had good experiences dealing with straitpokersupplies, I bought my first set of Nexgen Luckybee's from Charlie back when he was running his shop out of his parents garage. They are a good Canadian source for cards and supplies etc.

I had an awesome Paulson Pharaoh set over 2500+ chips that I sold to a fellow who flew up for I think Georgia, hope he's enjoying them they were the best. Given that I have handled the best, other chips just aren't up to the same caliber. So I am in the process of ordering my own custom set.
I am working with Classicpokerchips dot com to make up some fun chips. If you want fancy custom clay chips this is the place to order them, be prepared the price is over $2/chip Canadian with the exchange etc.... I am looking forward to actual nice chips again in these "Sloth Club Chips". You can get wild with edgespot colours that raises the price a lot. But is you keep your design within the first 2 tiers for edgespot design you can get a set of 1000 chips for about $24-2500CAN though if you want multiple colours or fancy designs the price per chip climbs of course.

Go for a less expensive set to start if you don't have anything yet. See what works for you in your games and then come up with an ideal breakdown and then work on an idea and design then pay and wait, its going to be 6-8months before i get to see these lovely chips once I get those funds send off.

Attachments

• advice taken.png
    advice taken.png
    534.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 1final.png
    1final.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 5final.png
    5final.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 25bigfinal.png
    25bigfinal.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100final.png
    100final.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 58

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom