Suggestions for budget conscious HSI micro cash set (1 Viewer)

Jake14mw

Flush
Reaction score
Quick background. I have old Nexgen slugged chips that me and my group have been happily playing tournaments with for years. I love a bargain, so I got in on the cards mold ceramic group buy at 30 cents per chip. That’s the chip price point I’m comfortable with. Then came the Horseshoe Southern Indiana sale. 50 cents a chip for Paulsons! I tried to resist. Ordered some samples. I then told the wife and kids they would be a good Christmas gift, even though I have the cards mold chips already coming (eventually). Regardless of their head shaking, I think they are getting them for me.

Sorry for the too long background, here is my question – The plan is have enough HSIs for a small 8 person max micro cash game. I am thinking .10/.20 where most people buy in for $20. We play $20 tournaments almost exclusively right now. I know the HSI fracs are hard to acquire, and they are certainly out of my budget. So, my initial plan is to use $5 chip as 5 cents, the $25 chip as 25 cents, and the $1 for $1.

Again, chip budget is the main concern here. Even though it’s micro stakes, I’m thinking it will still need a small amount of $5 chips and or a few $20 chips for rebuys. I could use $5 and $20 chips from my other sets. It would be preferable to acquire other Paulsons, but I don’t think you can get them for under $1, especially ones that are not white, red or green? The other option of course is to use the HSI $5 as $5, and use some other chips for 5c. I don’t want to use the other existing chips I have for 5c because they will be used a lot, and I don’t want the Paulson/non-Paulson mix to be common. I was thinking of self labeling some china clays maybe, but it won’t wind up saving much money. Any suggestions?

I know this sounds very silly to most of you. For most of you buying Paulsons for under $1 or even $2 doesn’t require a thought, buy whatever you need. For me, paying $1 per poker chip that I might use a few times per year is a lot. It’s also my nature to over analyze things. Thanks for any advice/suggestions anyone has.

How many rebuys do you normally get? If you're only going in for $20, you don't really need that many $5s and could probably use them as 5c. But if you do get a bunch of rebuys, you're going to want $5s in quantity.

Last edited:
its tough i have been trying to get some of the paulsn sherton blues to relabel as .25 and have only got 60 of the 100 i need.

it could be easier for you becuase you won;t need full racks. i would think 40 for yoour $5 and 20 for your $20 would be enough.

you an get solid black cinci horshoe wsop from the chip exchange, use those for yourn $20 then you just need to wait until you find someone on ere selling a couple of barrels you an afford for your $5

Again, chip budget is the main concern here. Even though it’s micro stakes, I’m thinking it will still need a small amount of $5 chips and or a few $20 chips for rebuys. I could use $5 and $20 chips from my other sets. It would be preferable to acquire other Paulsons, but I don’t think you can get them for under $1, especially ones that are not white, red or green? The other option of course is to use the HSI $5 as $5, and use some other chips for 5c. I don’t want to use the other existing chips I have for 5c because they will be used a lot, and I don’t want the Paulson/non-Paulson mix to be common. I was thinking of self labeling some china clays maybe, but it won’t wind up saving much money. Any suggestions?

I know this sounds very silly to most of you. For most of you buying Paulsons for under $1 or even $2 doesn’t require a thought, buy whatever you need. For me, paying $1 per poker chip that I might use a few times per year is a lot. It’s also my nature to over analyze things. Thanks for any advice/suggestions anyone has.

I've got a possible dual-use solution that may work for a microstakes and T5 base tournament, if you're willing to consider Bud Jones and do a bit of semi-customization. Feel free to PM me for details.

How many rebuys do you normally get? If you're only going in for $20, you don't really need that many $5s and could probably use them as 5c. But if you do get a bunch of rebuys, you're going to want $5s in quantity.
We play tournaments almost exclusively. We have only played cash games a few times after some folks have busted out of our bigger tournaments, and I didn't play with them, so I don't know how it would really go.

We play tournaments almost exclusively. We have only played cash games a few times after some folks have busted out of our bigger tournaments, and I didn't play with them, so I don't know how it would really go.
Ah, but you're looking for a cash set now that you won't be using in a tournament, right? That's why I was wondering how many re-buys you anticipate in your micro cash game. It could help figure out the total bank and get you the right chips.

At that price, I mean, only some of the chips can be mint though; are you OK mixing new and used paulsons?

Ah, but you're looking for a cash set now that you won't be using in a tournament, right? That's why I was wondering how many re-buys you anticipate in your micro cash game. It could help figure out the total bank and get you the right chips.

At that price, I mean, only some of the chips can be mint though; are you OK mixing new and used paulsons?
Correct, these will not be used for tournaments, only cash games. As to your second question, I am looking for only used. That's mainly a budget issue, but also even though I LOVE the look of a minty barrel, I actually like the feel of slightly used chips better.

Correct, these will not be used for tournaments, only cash games. As to your second question, I am looking for only used. That's mainly a budget issue, but also even though I LOVE the look of a minty barrel, I actually like the feel of slightly used chips better.
You had mentioned the HSI sale (which was like 60c / chip for mint), so I had thought you picked up a bunch of those. You're right that fracs are outside of your budget; any frac really ... not just the HSIs.

To stick to your budget, I definitely think that re-using denoms is the way to go. Not even relabel since that's basically the entire budget right there. But if you do that, you can't re-use actual $5s and $20s to mean face value. Well, maybe the $20 since you're not using that as a lower denomination, but definitely can't re-use another type of $5 if you already have one as 5c.

$1 for $1 makes total sense
$5 for 5c makes sense... but then you really can't use another $5 IMO
$20 doesn't make much sense at these stakes, especially without a $5; even for re-buys, people aren't going to want to move 3/4 of their stack over to make change.

What if you removed the labels and make them non-denom?

I would think you could get away with 2 barrels of a chip for $5. I don't think you need a $20 chip at those stakes. The next cheapest color of chip you're not already using will likely be black or blue and will require some customization. 2 barrels of chips shouldn't break the bank even if they are twice as much as other chips in your set.

I would think you could get away with 2 barrels of a chip for $5. I don't think you need a $20 chip at those stakes. The next cheapest color of chip you're not already using will likely be black or blue and will require some customization. 2 barrels of chips shouldn't break the bank even if they are twice as much as other chips in your set.
Yeah, see, if @Jake14mw doesn't mind a black $5, he could relabel only a barrel or so of those. The cost wouldn't be too much since it's only 20 to 40 chips max. Green $25s are even cheaper!

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($100 relabel)
$25 ($25)

or

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($25 relabel)

Never apologize for this. There is a wide range of budgets and how big or small their home game plays. PCF can be a great place, but it can also be dangerous getting caught up in the excitement and love for great chips around here. Knowing your budget and sticking to it is really important.

No matter what your situation is, there are good people to give good advice to help you find a set that works for you. And what works for you and your game and budget is what matters.

Good luck on building your set!

Yeah, see, if @Jake14mw doesn't mind a black $5, he could relabel only a barrel or so of those. The cost wouldn't be too much since it's only 20 to 40 chips max. Green $25s are even cheaper!

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($100 relabel)
$25 ($25)

or

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($25 relabel)
Green chips are definitely cheaper, but I think he is using them as quarters. I did this with 2k tournament sets for a bit, chips were pennies instead of dollars and it worked well, but it's out of his budget range. The HSI chips are fabulous price wise.

Quick background. I have old Nexgen slugged chips that me and my group have been happily playing tournaments with for years. I love a bargain, so I got in on the cards mold ceramic group buy at 30 cents per chip. That’s the chip price point I’m comfortable with. Then came the Horseshoe Southern Indiana sale. 50 cents a chip for Paulsons! I tried to resist. Ordered some samples. I then told the wife and kids they would be a good Christmas gift, even though I have the cards mold chips already coming (eventually). Regardless of their head shaking, I think they are getting them for me.

Sorry for the too long background, here is my question – The plan is have enough HSIs for a small 8 person max micro cash game. I am thinking .10/.20 where most people buy in for $20. We play $20 tournaments almost exclusively right now. I know the HSI fracs are hard to acquire, and they are certainly out of my budget. So, my initial plan is to use $5 chip as 5 cents, the $25 chip as 25 cents, and the $1 for $1.

You could use Copa 5s as your 5¢. There are plenty of them out there. I once had 12 racks.

1607628389618.png

My suggestion:
5c (used hsi $5) x 100
25c (used hsi $25) x 200 (workhorse chip)
$1 (used hsi $1) x100

Total bank $155

Cost from the chiproom $246

If you think the bank isn't big enough just get another rack of 1s. Maybe another rack of 5s instead if you think there will be a lot of bets under 25c

its tough i have been trying to get some of the paulsn sherton blues to relabel as .25 and have only got 60 of the 100 i need.

it could be easier for you becuase you won;t need full racks. i would think 40 for yoour $5 and 20 for your $20 would be enough.

you an get solid black cinci horshoe wsop from the chip exchange, use those for yourn $20 then you just need to wait until you find someone on ere selling a couple of barrels you an afford for your $5
I think the used Sheratons are a great option...blue, yellow green & rose all work for fracs imho
Love these Sheraton chips...fully leaded and great colors.

You missed Ethans auction ?
I have the 40/45 blue chips you need (and some other spare colors).
Shoot me a pm if you are interested

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($100 relabel)
$25 ($25)

or

5c ($5)
$1 ($1)
$5 ($25 relabel)
Yeah, I was thinking this may be a route I could take, relabeling the black HSI $100. The CR room price for these was $.99, so I would think I could do that since I would not need many.

Never apologize for this. There is a wide range of budgets and how big or small their home game plays. PCF can be a great place, but it can also be dangerous getting caught up in the excitement and love for great chips around here. Knowing your budget and sticking to it is really important.

No matter what your situation is, there are good people to give good advice to help you find a set that works for you. And what works for you and your game and budget is what matters.

Good luck on building your set!
You know, this is sooo true. This forum is full of amazing people! I have had a ton of help from people here in many ways. I have gotten to the point where I am no longer surprised how helpful people are here. It's one of the reasons I spend a lot of time here even though I'm not a true chipper :cool

My suggestion:
5c (used hsi $5) x 100
25c (used hsi $25) x 200 (workhorse chip)
$1 (used hsi $1) x100

Total bank $155

Cost from the chiproom $246

If you think the bank isn't big enough just get another rack of 1s. Maybe another rack of 5s instead if you think there will be a lot of bets under 25c

I like this option the best. Because you don’t need to relabel, all you are doing is explaining to the players that the dollar signs are cent signs.

And once everybody leaves, you still have a nice regular set. You can probably scoop up more used HSI as time goes by and build out the set bigger later. I would just grab another rack if 1s to go with that.

Bonus! You would be covered for .25/.50 stakes by returning the 5s to their rightful position and still using the greens as quarters.

Versatile little set there man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom