Suckout in the Southwest Interest Thread - January 15-17, 2016 (Merged)

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
[Moderator Message] Merged content starts on post #23

Was just talking to Payback about potentially hosting a meetup next summer down here in the heart of Texas. Supposedly Texas Ben from CT is also interested in hosting something in Texas, but I'm not sure who he is or if he's only on CT. I get to spend a nine month all expenses paid vacation in the desert in the near future, but I'd be looking to host in the July-August time frame.

I live 30 minutes from downtown Austin and 40 minutes from the Austin airport. My new apartment can handle three tables, with a fourth on the patio (misters + AC unit should do the trick).

I play with a couple different groups down here. For a Saturday tournament, I can easily get 2 full tables of locals. For cash games throughout the weekend, I can get at least 1 table.

I would propose one fixed limit table, one carnival games table, and one NLHE-only table.

Yes, it's hot as balls in Texas. Thankfully you'll be spending the hot Texas days inside my apartment. If AC is really an issue (which it's not) we can get a portable AC unit for the weekend to put on the other end of the poker tables. If you're that concerned about the 47 minutes you'll spend outside during your tenure in Texas, well, all I can say is I spend more than that time outside in longsleeves, pants, and boots every day, so I don't really feel your pain. =)

Remember, this is your ticket to play with the Windy City set! =) With nine months of tax-free income in my future, I'd definitely top the set off to 1200 1s and 600 5s. I might even get around to creating the Windy City tourney set. Current chip break downs are 600 .25s, 600 1s, 500 5s, 160 20s, 100 25s, and 100 100s.

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
Always up for a trip to Austin, assuming I'm in Texas next summer. It's only about a 3 hr drive.

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Brett!! Long time man... I thought I was gonna see you at Jeff's...

That sounds like a great idea... Pending enough recovery time if Jeff decides to host WCB7, I'dl be definitely in...

Paulo-

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hey Brett!! Long time man... I thought I was gonna see you at Jeff's...

That sounds like a great idea... Pending enough recovery time if Jeff decides to host WCB7, I'dl be definitely in...

Paulo-

Yeah, I burned all my time off to play in Vegas last month, so I didn't have much to use. Payback made it seem like WCB7 wasn't going to be until 2017, but I could be mistaken. If it does happen next year, then a Texas-based PCF meetup would likely be a fall-timeline.

DrStrange

Full House
Reaction score
Depending which way you are measuring the distance - that sounds like Round Rock or Kyle/Buda. The trip to Kyle/Buda is close enough for lunch to me, but I'm betting on Round Rock and solid three hour round trip drive. Still plenty close. Sounds like fun.

DrStrange

PS Poker outside in Texas July/August heat borders on crazy talk unless I am camping with the Boy Scouts. Daytime temps 97 - 104 but could be worse. Will not fall below 90 till ten o'clock. Some years have mosquitos. This might warrant some rethinking.

Last edited:

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
Depending which way you are measuring the distance - that sounds like Round Rock or Kyle/Buda. The trip to Kyle/Buda is close enough for lunch to me, but I'm betting on Round Rock and solid three hour round trip drive. Still plenty close. Sounds like fun.

DrStrange

Yes, Georgetown.

Payback

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I burned all my time off to play in Vegas last month, so I didn't have much to use. Payback made it seem like WCB7 wasn't going to be until 2017, but I could be mistaken. If it does happen next year, then a Texas-based PCF meetup would likely be a fall-timeline.

Generally @Jeff is on an every other year schedule with WCB, but I know several of us would love to see it as an every year event. Maybe if we beg enough. Please?

Either way, you know if I can make it I'll be there, but I know next summer is filling up fast for me with a trip already planned to the Adirondacks. We also have a vegas trip planned and my wife traveling to Disney so I'm running out of time...

Ben

Full House
Reaction score
Likely in, depending on timing with kids' school (earlier is better - they start early Aug. around here...) TONS of family to hang out with/stay with in the general area (although I think the closest with space to stay is Oak Hill - can I make that drive in an hour these days or is the traffic insane???)

Texas Ben is a close friend of TenPercenter so DFW area and yes, CT only obv.

Jeff

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried to keep to third weekend in July to set a "normal" time for WCB. For me, it's better because of personal commitments and weather. If I remember correctly, last year there was another event close to the normal WCB date, so I didn't do it as opposed to changing the date meaningfully. July in Chicago is usually perfect. It was gorgeous this year and we got to go in and out the basement door and hang on the deck. May is college and high school stuff, June can have some cool and rainy weather in Chicago and early August can be MFing hot.

I think a Texas meetup should be scheduled when it is reasonable outside.

There have been at least two Texas meetups and that could be reconstituted if Texas Ben and or Briech wanted to do so.

Jeff

bergs

Full House
Reaction score
March is Bounty Battle, July is Windy City Showdown, and November is Derby City Showdown. What about January, maybe early so we can combine a football game somewhere? What's January like in Austin?

DrStrange

Full House
Reaction score
January in Austin is unpredictable. Could be a week of freezing weather with ice, could be shorts & sleeves weather or anything in between. Most likely? 42 degree nights, 63 degree days, windy (no cards outside), likely dry and plenty of cedar for people who are allergic. Early spring and mid-fall are the most dependable times. But so long as you stick inside, it doesn't matter.

Been around here a long time -=- DrStrange

k9dr

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
March is Bounty Battle, July is Windy City Showdown, and November is Derby City Showdown. What about January, maybe early so we can combine a football game somewhere? What's January like in Austin?

I tried to do a meet up in Florida in January - great time to be here. Most people who couldn't make it said it was too soon after the holidays and they were out of cash.

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
July in Chicago is usually perfect. It was gorgeous this year and we got to go in and out the basement door and hang on the deck. May is the MTTD, June can have some cool and rainy weather in Chicago and early August can be MFing hot.
Jeff

Jeff, fixed your post... ;)

Chicken Rob

Full House
Reaction score
I tried to do a meet up in Florida in January - great time to be here. Most people who couldn't make it said it was too soon after the holidays and they were out of cash.

I'm hoping to start wintering in FL. May not be able to do it this year (though I got clearence from work), but 2016/17 for sure. I'd love it if there were a feb meetup at your place k9, and then home for march for the BBotB. :)

David O

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so where is this at now? is this going to happen? I am from San Antonio and would love to attend. I could help as well! If there is still some interest in a Texas Meet up I am definitely in!

David O

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
The thread bump just put this on my radar. Zombies (x2) are in - pending dates, and a reasonable tournament.

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Jeff IS hosting the WCB this upcoming year (in July if I'm not mistaken), so I'd vote against hosting a meetup in the same month as another meetup. That leaves August? Or maybe Fall, when it's not so hot?

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I believe Jeff IS hosting the WCB this upcoming year (in July if I'm not mistaken), so I'd vote against hosting a meetup in the same month as another meetup. That leaves August? Or maybe Fall, when it's not so hot?

Whenever. Later gives me more time to boost the time off bank, but I'm just a single (pair of) voice(s) in the crowd.

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
tl;dr, this event will be confirmed/cancelled no later than December 1st. I have feelers out to both of my poker groups in the area and I want a solid number of locals confirmed for all three days (Saturday especially) before getting commitments from out of towners.

I will be doing my best to get a sexy commemorative chip pumped out on time, along with 600 more $1s as an add-on by the event's start. David said the turn-around on the A-mold is currently 8 weeks and I'll have to put the order in ASAP.

Probable kegs: Austin Amber Ale, 312 (if I can get one), 512 Porter

Dealer's choice games: HORSE, NLHE, PLO, PLO8 (5 card Omaha can be called for any of the Omaha games), Badugi, NL 2-7 single draw, Limit 2-7 TD, Badacey, Badeucy, Razzdugi... pretty much anything other that SOHE. =)

Friday 15 Jan - 7pm start, 3 tables
Main Windy City table: .25/.50, 2/4 dealer's choice ($60 cap on NL/PL)
2nd table: .25/.50 $60 max NLHE
3rd table: .25/.50 $60 max PLO/PLO8
  • Breich
  • catalyzeme
  • David O
  • DrStrange
  • Payback (50/50)
  • Ben

Saturday 16 Jan - 12pm start, 3-4 tables, $100 freezeout + $20 bounty
Catered food TBD
Main Windy City table: 4/8 full kill w/overs HOE limit mix
2nd table: .50/1 $100 max (rebuy to big stack) NLHE only
3rd table: .50/1 $100 max PLO/PLO8/PL Big-O/PL Big-O Hi-Lo
4th table: weather dependent (semi-enclosed patio)
  • Breich
  • catalyzeme
  • atomiktoaster
  • David O
  • DrStrange
  • Payback (50/50)
  • Ben

Sunday 17 Jan - 2pm start
Main Windy City table: .50/1 uncapped NLHE only
2nd table: 4/8 full kill w/overs HOE limit mix
3rd table: .50/1 $100 max PLO/PLO8/PL Big-O/PL Big-O Hi-Lo (I'll uncap it if all players are comfortable killing their bankrolls).
  • Breich
  • catalyzeme (?)
  • David O (?)
  • DrStrange (?)
  • Payback (50/50)

Last edited:

ChaosRock

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to make it Brett but it will be hard making it to a meet-up between the holidays and the "Suicide Queen Melee" in Feb... I'd definitely be in otherwise...

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
I would love to make it Brett but it will be hard making it to a meet-up between the holidays and the "Suicide Queen Melee" in Feb... I'd definitely be in otherwise...

I'm expecting the same for most others, but we'll see what availability is like. If not then I may try for the summer or sometime late 2017 (will be abroad for a bit).

atomiktoaster

Full House
Reaction score
I'd be up for the Saturday tournament at least. Dunno if my gambol budget supports a full weekend.

catalyzeme

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I'm for sure in. Buyins will probably affect how much time I spend overall and I do work til 7 Thursday and Friday, but I'm in!

David O

Straight Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can be there. Have many, many hotel points and gambol budget is in the black! Let's do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breich

Two Pair
Reaction score
Stakes for cash games will be the following unless an entire table agrees to higher:

NL/PL .50/1 ($100 max, rebuys to big stack available)
Limit 3/6 (overs available)

Top Bottom