Strategy Games Elective Offering (1 Viewer)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Today I start another school year in Saudi. They asked me to make a new elective offering for grade 6 kids. I entitled it, "Strategy Games."

The first 3 weeks of class will be OFCP. So I'm paid to play with kids every day for 1 hour. Any card game that does not include betting rounds might just make the rotation.

After OFCP, we go with 500, Uchre, Spades...:)

Will give updates and hope I can beat these kids since Forrest crushes me every time.

Hearts is another good one. I'd love to be a fly in the corner for this. I would have been ecstatic to take a class like this. Short suiting, finesses, signaling, etc!

Today I start another school year in Saudi. They asked me to make a new elective offering for grade 6 kids. I entitled it, "Strategy Games."

The first 3 weeks of class will be OFCP. So I'm paid to play with kids every day for 1 hour. Any card game that does not include betting rounds might just make the rotation.

After OFCP, we go with 500, Uchre, Spades...:)

Will give updates and hope I can beat these kids since Forrest crushes me every time.

Euchre is a great choice because the cards are so restricted, and with the exception of the four buried cards (one of which may be known), all the cards are in play.

Takes attention and strategy to play the right cards at the right time.

I would have loved to have a whole period of playing cards in 6th grade. Would have kept my interest a whole lot better than a lot of my classes.

Don't forget a great strategy game, Cribbage.

Are board games options too? So many war game options (Risk, Axis & Allies, Diplomacy), but for 6th graders, even strategy games like Clue would be great.

My favorite when I was a kid:

StopThief.jpg

Strategy game and chess are pretty synonymous. And if my kid took an elective called strategy games that didn't include exposure to non card games like chess, I'd be questioning the degeneracy (and validity) of the instructor. Lol

But for cards, I like Euchre. I like ofcp but wouldn't put that in a school rotation. Kinda too involved and degenerate for a 6th grader imho.

I agree with Trihonda above... gotta at least expose them to chess. Regarding card games, I've been playing a gin rummy app on my phone recently. Fair amount of strategy there.

Are board games options too? So many war game options (Risk, Axis & Allies, Diplomacy), but for 6th graders, even strategy games like Clue would be great.

My favorite when I was a kid:

StopThief.jpg

The boys want to play Axis & Allies so I'm bringing a game back fro AZ next week. I get some more time home until Labor Day. No chess as there is a lunch and after school club.

OFCP wasn't a hit right away. I'm going to tweak the rules to simplify and roll out again after the weekend.

I would have loved to have a whole period of playing cards in 6th grade. Would have kept my interest a whole lot better than a lot of my classes.

Don't forget a great strategy game, Cribbage.

That's about when my poker career started. I thought that was why we did extra chores for an allowance, so my brothers could take my money at poker

I thought that was a Bob Ross Chia pet.

Your class is young, with short attention spans and the class is likely an hour or so. While there is a huge palate of games to pick from, not so many of them are simple enough and quick enough to fit your constraints.

You didn't mention your instructional objectives. Let me offer a few suggestions - expose the class to the concepts of game theory; learn about the importance of position; learn to think strategically both within the game and over a sequence of games.

Most of the "good" strategy games are too long / too complex for your purposes. Not that the class isn't having fun playing, but they aren't often learning much in the way of specific objectives.

There is a lot to be learned just watching the price is right or replicating some of their games. Lots of those games are filled with opportunities for the contestant to improve their chances. The small prize bidding rounds are basic situations where position matters a lot. The biggest attraction to me is the games are simple, quick and lend themselves to easy analytics.

Rock / paper / scissors is another good option. It seems like pure luck, yet skilled players will do better than the rest of the class. Figuring out why that could be true and how to be that type of player will prove enlightening.

Keep it simple -=- DrStrange

I have a bunch of standards in the cupboard here, but want to expand. A few of the students are content to play the same old mindless classics but we have a few that want to learn cards and war games. I have a set up so that a couple of games can sit out over a few nights without being disturbed.

They like to play against the teacher in most things. All you need to do is sweeten the pot if they beat you and getting some buy in is not an issue. They will do just about anything to get a free cheese bread (local snack sold during recess).

Your class is young, with short attention spans and the class is likely an hour or so. While there is a huge palate of games to pick from, not so many of them are simple enough and quick enough to fit your constraints.

You didn't mention your instructional objectives. Let me offer a few suggestions - expose the class to the concepts of game theory; learn about the importance of position; learn to think strategically both within the game and over a sequence of games.

Most of the "good" strategy games are too long / too complex for your purposes. Not that the class isn't having fun playing, but they aren't often learning much in the way of specific objectives.

There is a lot to be learned just watching the price is right or replicating some of their games. Lots of those games are filled with opportunities for the contestant to improve their chances. The small prize bidding rounds are basic situations where position matters a lot. The biggest attraction to me is the games are simple, quick and lend themselves to easy analytics.

Rock / paper / scissors is another good option. It seems like pure luck, yet skilled players will do better than the rest of the class. Figuring out why that could be true and how to be that type of player will prove enlightening.

Keep it simple -=- DrStrange

There are some simple games, that take much less than an hour and are suitable for short attention spans. I agree with the above, so here are my recs.

• No Thanks! is one
  • A version of Love Letter would be a good fit I think - Batman, or Coup
  • Lost Cities is another.
  • Five Crowns

All these are small games that transport easy......

But for the locale I think the obvious winners are :

• Five Tribes
  • Jaipur
  • Camel Up!

Batman Love Letter is great, but be aware that all the cards with female characters show them with skimpy clothes and huge tits. This really annoys my wife. :LOL: :laugh:

Forbidden Desert is a fun and easy one too that fits the locale.

Sequence is a great strategy game and they have an adult (not that kind ;)) and children versions.

Also Carcasonne is brilliant, everyone can play and doesn't have to be too competitive. Unless you want to be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom