Storing Chips in a Home Garage (1 Viewer)

JRald07

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Question - should I be concerned about storing ceramics in a garage long-term? I assume storing any other type of chips is a huge no-no due to fluctuations of temperatures in a home garage that may cause chips to warp. I plan on storing my ceramics in either a Nanuk case or a Versa Deluxe case in my garage since I am running out room due to my new out-of-control addiction lol.

Thank you in advance for your time!

I don't know if the winter would hurt them, but I would be afraid in the summer with the sun beating down on the garage and the heat causing bleeding.

I wouldn't do it. If you want them out of sight can you put them in the back of a closet or something?

Don't the Peli-type cases cost so much exactly to protect against extreme temperatures?

I wouldn't do it. If you want them out of sight can you put them in the back of a closet or something?
Yeah, this was my last resort though. I may just have to put them in a closet and not take the risk.

Don’t do it, only bad things can happen.

BB60B267-9EA1-4561-B56D-17EA7B204865.gif

Don't the Peli-type cases cost so much exactly to protect against extreme temperatures?
I looked up the military specifications/certifications to my nanuk cases and no mention of temperatures really. Bummer

Nanuk claims its cases to be proof from -29C to 60C (-20 to 140F)
The German-Chinese brand I have (B&W) claims -30C to 80C.
Always assuming there's something sensitive inside, like cameras or computers.

@tabletalker7 I didn't know ceramics hated heat particularly.
If you 're going to be equally anxious and protective, my vote goes to clay all the way (off-topic).

Update: Pelican, probably being the most serious of the three, claims: "up to 131º Fahrenheit for 48 hours and as low as -4 º Fahrenheit for 16 hours"
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/about...le/pelican-cases-meet-natoeuropean-standards/
Yeah, I was thinking more long term than that. Idea was to grab the case and load it into my car for when I travel with my chips.

I'm just going to play it safe and store it somewhere else. I have my clays in birdcages for display purposes... Never leaves home.

Thanks guys! I'm glad I asked before learning the hard way.

Update: Pelican, probably being the most serious of the three, claims: "up to 131º Fahrenheit for 48 hours and as low as -4 º Fahrenheit for 16 hours"
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/about...le/pelican-cases-meet-natoeuropean-standards/
All that means is that the contents will be able to withstand those temperatures for up to 48 hours. I would think he would want to store them for more than 2 days.
Plastics don’t like extreme hot or cold. I’d switch places, sleep in the garage and put chips in my bed before I’d put them out there. :LOL: :laugh:

Heat from garage (or autmobile) storage will not adversely affect ceramic chip material -- you need really high temps to alter the base material, something along the lines of 250-300 degrees F or higher. This is one of the reasons that blank ceramics are great for use as spacers when flattening clay chips.

However, the color dyes used for printing ceramic chips will not withstand those temperatures, which is why using printed ceramic chips is NOT advised for use as spacers when flattening clay chips.

Sustained high temperatures (roughly 150 F or higher) can cause fading of ink/dye images on ceramic chips, and theoretically cause dyes to transfer from one chip to another.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom