Storage options for ~5,000 chips (1 Viewer)

dmoney

Full House
Reaction score
I’ve been looking around and not having a lot of luck and figured this problem has likely already been solved by someone here. I’ve browsed the thread on this topic but hopefully there’s consensus on the best available options.

I want to upgrade from Apache cases to more permanent storage. I’ll keep the cases for travel/transport.

I’d like to use 5 x1,000 chip trays (@Spinettis Gaming appears to be the best place to get these right?) and put them in a rolling cabinet or cart.

Ideal budget: under $150, but might go up to $200 for ideal options. Links to actual products appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Some flavor of tool cabinet would work, but maybe a little more than your budget. I did this one for that price but was hard to find and was on sale at walmart maybe. I forget was a while back.

20200928_204108.jpg

Waiting to see what comes up I need a case for 5600 chips also.... best I have come up with so far that has some mobility is a red toolbox that holds up to 2600 chips..... keeping in mind that every 100 chips is approx 1kg @10g each.

A large tool chest or custom wood chest looks to be the best but more expensive option. However once you fill the container with 5k+ chips it will no longer be very mobile, except on maybe rolling casters. I would like to maintain more mobility over 1 central chest. So, My option can be put stored on a shelf and remains mobile. But, it will require 1 container for every 2600 chips. This tool box was $40 at princess auto in Ontario.

20210114_221842.jpg

Specs say drawer depth on top 3 drawers are 15"

Drawer dimensions: top drawer: 1st 23.75 in. W x 15 in. D x 2.5 in. 2nd to 3rd drawer 23.75 in. W x 15 in. D x 3.3 in. H, 4th drawer: 23.75 in. W x 16 in. D x 7.3 in. H, bottom drawer: 23.75 in. W x 16 in. x 9.7 in. H

Gonna be hard to find a stock cabinet/chest that will fit the 1000 chip ABS trays and stay close to your budget. If you are willing to use regular racks instead it gets easier.

Or go the custom build route and get drawers to fit the ABS trays if you are a DIY'r. Good Luck, I'll be following the thread. :)

I’d estimate about 1 7/8”

Attachments

• 45FBF0D3-BEBB-4E36-AA93-2483DD1220A0.jpeg
    45FBF0D3-BEBB-4E36-AA93-2483DD1220A0.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 439F3C18-0278-4155-9F65-1C2BFD4040DC.jpeg
    439F3C18-0278-4155-9F65-1C2BFD4040DC.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 137
833AD02E-007E-4FEC-93F4-7D4523320A28.png
Over budget, I know. Also can hold more chips than specified, I know. Will you eventually fill it? Ask me how I know? I have two and couldn’t believe I filled the first one up, said I would never fill it up (it’s actually the 52” version). Keep an eye out they have been lower in the past but not sure if they will go lower.

This is my whole setup right now. The bottom draw gives you example of capacity. Sorry messy but have not been playing during Covid.
The bottom 2 draws hold at least 4800 each size wise but not sure if the weight would be too much. Need to be careful to only open 1 draw at a time at those weights. I have 3500 in their right now and seems to be fine. The bottom was more expensive than the top but I really cannot remember how much.

Capture.JPG

Going back to the Husky cart ... the specs below indicate that it is 18.3" deep. Is this an inconsistency or are the top drawers 3 inches shallower than the width of the cart for some reason? @TheBigTater

1611686524039.png

Going back to the Husky cart ... the specs below indicate that it is 18.3" deep. Is this an inconsistency or are the top drawers 3 inches shallower than the width of the cart for some reason? @TheBigTater

View attachment 622615

Don't really know why, just going by the specifications on the links listed in the post.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...Chest-in-Textured-Black-UAT-H-26051/303764045

Midway down the page the drawer dimensions are listed. In fact the top drawer is not a tall and drawer 2 & 3.

ssImage2.jpg

Outer dimensions of the cabinet don't tell you what the inner drawer dimensions are. There is structural space to account for. It may be a typo on the site so don't take my word for it.

Might have some winning options here. Anything wider than 36" would allow for two trays to sit side by side on the same shelf (they also could be stacked).

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...ome-heavy-duty-utility-cart/460UCRT18483.html

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/re...t-with-64-posts-and-casters/460EC2448KTC.html

View attachment 624231

View attachment 624232
For storage these units would work however I have had the larger unit like below at work and its Dangerous!.... you must stack shelves according to weight or it can fall over, I stitched up a coworker nurses arm that got mangled by one of these when she tried to brace it on the way down. I would guess that would have been the taller 60" model.

I'd recommend a lower option with a better center of gravity for shelving. For poker chips that would be used in a game a unit that can be locked may also be preferred.

Last edited:
For your budget (100-150 USD) maybe a simple retrofitted cabinet would be best (look for those with adjustable shelving)? That way you can keep the elements away and still have good storage space for your buck, especially if you are exploring second-hand options!

Any others have this? Looks the same as @SBM1223, and I’m almost positive Chips laying in spinnettis trays would fit in the top 3 drawers. Can anyone who has a 1,000-chip tray confirm with a measurement?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-2...Chest-in-Textured-Black-UAT-H-26051/303764045
View attachment 622129View attachment 622130
This one worked perfect! Love the body of the cart and how it won’t scratch or show finger prints. It’s perfect for 1000–2000 chips. The 2nd-3rd drawers fit the chips/racks perfectly You can order the wood piece for $20 to go on top. Great contrast and easier to work on

This one worked perfect! Love the body of the cart and how it won’t scratch or show finger prints. It’s perfect for 1000–2000 chips. The 2nd-3rd drawers fit the chips/racks perfectly You can order the wood piece for $20 to go on top. Great contrast and easier to work on
Would you mind taking the inside measurements of the drawers? There’s been confusion about the possible differences between the listed exterior LxWxH and the actual space in the drawer.

I’d really appreciate it!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom