Status of TapaTalk (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the 25 as well and prefer TT, mainly because I use it for whiteblaze and a couple others as well and it's very easy to go back and forth between multiple forums.

Am I the only one who thinks it's hysterical you have a clown on a police bike background and a subcategory for "Guns".....!!!????? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::LOL: :laugh::D

oh and I don't Tapatalk, so carry on...... :coffee:

I totally missed that! :LOL: :laugh:.

@nitzilla and @Tommy So now I guess I have to explain the picture. That is my alter ego. I have been a Shrine Clown for about 16 years and I am currently the Secretary/Treasurer of the Texas Shrine Clown Association. That picture was taken by the head honcho of the San Antonio Police Department Motorcycle Unit before the Fiesta Flambeau Parade this past April. Every year for many years I would mess with his guys and this year was his retirement year so he asked if I would take a picture of me sitting on his bike. So yes I am a Clown and one of my other hobbies is reloading and GUNS!!!

I've never tried to use the mobile site. I'll give it a go... If I can remember my password [emoji14]

TapaTalk now deleted. It was just collecting dust anyways - I prefer to use Chrome for all devices. It keeps all my important bookmarks in 1 place.
upload_2015-10-24_14-18-42.png

Overall the feedback has been positive. I'm glad to see the members who use TapaTalk the most giving the 'Responsive' theme a try.
And (y) :thumbsup:(y) :thumbsup: to those who have already ditched it.

I understand that the TapaTalk UI is more streamlined and was essential to have installed when forum software was not so mobile friendly. Times are changing though. TT realizes this but instead of being innovative and offer us new features/services for the new subscription fee, they decided to removed many of the options/features we already had instead. Then they set the options how they want them (beneficial to them of course) and then tell us we need to pay to get them back. :rolleyes:

Please keep in mind that TT already makes money from the ads that show on your phone when you browse the site using their app. Sure we get a small % of it but it amounts to nothing more than a few bucks a month. Even if the site made $20, $40 or whatever from it per month, I still would canned it in a heartbeat because I am more concern about member privacy, and the integrity of the site.

I could go on and on about the inter workings of TapaTalk and how shady they are. I've had many discussions with other site owners and software developers who have checked every line of code in their software. It's just crazy.

So I think this road map to it being removed should give everyone enough time to familiarize themselves with our mobile theme.
  • Currently we are using a rolled back version of TT. This is because the latest version has raised many more site security and member privacy concerns.
  • We'll stay using the current version until one of the following happens first.
  • ONE - The current version stops working with future updates to the current series forum software.
  • TWO - When the forum software 2.x series is released. (probably next year)
I was able to get a sneak peak at v2.x. There is much improvement across the board including the mobile 'Responsive' theme.

Thanks for making this upcoming transition a bit easier. (y) :thumbsup:

I haven't used tapatalk to view the forums in quite some time. Safari on my iphone and ipad work great.

Likewise, all their 'updates' seemed to be less and less useful, always seemed to me to be a bizarre way to run a software company. I eventually stopped using it for the 2/3 forums I use and just use safari. Very happy with PCF on safari.

Likewise, all their 'updates' seemed to be less and less useful, always seemed to me to be a bizarre way to run a software company. I eventually stopped using it for the 2/3 forums I use and just use safari. Very happy with PCF on safari.

PCF on safari is great IMO. Very easy to use.

I used tapatalk but have been using safari since it seems pcf isn't working on TT any longer. It's no big deal IMO, just changing routine a bit. The site works perfectly on safari.

Edit: only thing I really liked about TT is push notifications but still not that big of deal

:confused: Why I no have "add to home screen" in Chrome???

iOS 8.4.1

Probably done differently on Apple device. Do you have the 3 little dots? I don't have an iphone/ipad so I can't see how its done.

I used tapatalk but have been using safari since it seems pcf isn't working on TT any longer. It's no big deal IMO, just changing routine a bit. The site works perfectly on safari.

Edit: only thing I really liked about TT is push notifications but still not that big of deal

Unfortunately TT is still working here. :x v2 of the forum software will open the door for a secure dedicated app add-on with push notifications. When it's available, I have no problem putting out the $$$ for it. I will probably still use the browser though. :)

:confused: Why I no have "add to home screen" in Chrome???

iOS 8.4.1

Down the bottom click on the square with the arrow pointing up. Should be able to bookmark and send to home page there

Since this thread was created I've only used the mobile forum maybe a couple times after I created a desktop icon for as you had suggested. I'm probably one of the daily 25 users. TT is my go to app for forums on mobile. Not because of a preference for TT, but just more familiarity with it, and as was said earlier, it's easier to go back and forth between other forums. Plus it's easier for fat fingers. I'll probably still use it until you drop support for it unless I need to search for a particular thread or other specific reasons.

The mobile site is not bad at all and I think that if I used it daily I'd probably develop a preference for it, if only due to getting used to it. I'll make a point to use it once in a while and maybe I'll learn to like it better.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the mobile site... Much prefer reading post on TT.

I've had both on my phone for a while now, and tapatalk tends to win. Push notifications are a few seconds quicker to check, but the big difference is that I can read the first part of a post straight from the list of threads without having to actually open it. No offense to posters here, but in a lot of cases that's enough info for me to know if I'm actually interested to read the whole thing.

Agree with the latest few posters - I'm still using TapaTalk and hope to continue to do so for as long as possible. The mobile site is an acceptable alternative, but I definitely prefer the TT interface.

Well around the time of my last post itt, I deleted PCF from my tapatalk feed and have been using the mobile site exclusively. Both have their advantages but I no longer seem to receive notifications correctly. I reset preferences and reauthenticated the email and checked my Gmail spam folder where pm notifications are going but not any other.

FYI

If you upload images using tapatalk, be sure that you are uploading them to PCF and not using tapatalk image hosting. I never had tapatalk image hosting enabled so you may not have any options for that. As a said before, tapatalk took most of our options and setting away recently. They did say that the options that were off, remained off when they took them away. I take that with a grain of salt. I don't trust them at all. But for us (site owners) to access them again, we have to pay. No plans to do that. Nothing to do with money. It's about having control of your own site and not being held hostage by a 3rd party app company.

Tapatalk image hosting was just one of the ways for them to make it difficult for site owners to stop using them later by fearing the loss of content. Luckily we are not in that boat.

To check if your image is hosted on PCF, right click the image and open in a new tab. If the URL starts with http://www.pokerchipforum.com/ then its good. Far as I know, no prior images uploaded using tapatalk is hosted by them. We host them on PCF.

There is a native mobile app in development. I will gladly purchase it if and when it comes to market. I can only continue to suggest using the mobile version of the site on your phone's web browser. :cool:

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Right now TT is working fine for me. I always thought you have paid for to get the recent limitations away...

So it looks like TapaTalk is now making users use their image hosting by default via the app on your devices.

App user is default to Tapatalk hosted environment but can always choose to post as forum attachment.

Sneaky! Please make sure to change that to post as a forum attachment in your TapaTalk setting. Avoid using tapatalk image hosting.

I can guarantee your images will never be lost when they are upload and hosted here.

Last edited:
So it looks like TapaTalk is now making users use their image hosting by default via the app on your devices.

Sneaky! Please make sure to change that to post as a forum attachment in your TapaTalk setting. Avoid using tapatalk image hosting.

I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the image size below 2000 kb, generally, since my phone images start at about 4 mb. Any way the resizing can be done server-side?

I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the image size below 2000 kb, generally, since my phone images start at about 4 mb. Any way the resizing can be done server-side?

Server-side file size (KB) re-sizing is not supported. However, uploaded files are first re-sized based on the maximum dimensions. If the re-sized image is below the maximum file size (KB) limit, then it will be allowed.

I have my phone set to take pics at 2048x1152 (16:9) which is normally just around 1mb. I just switch it to 3264x1836 (16:9) and 3264x2448 (4:3) and took a few photos. None were over 2mb. 1.7MB was the biggest. Most of my images are for posting online so the minimum 2048x1152 setting works for me. XF 2.x may be able to optimize/compress attached images on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom