Cash Game Starting Stack for 1/1 and 1/2 NLHE (1 Viewer)

Enigma

High Hand
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have recently begun hosting private games and have had no problem on the tournament side of things (starting stack, blind structure etc)

But I am now looking to branch out into hosting cash games, 1/1 NLHE to start then 1/2 NLHE for higher stakes games

I'm just wondering what starting stacks you guys would recommend for both, what chip denominations to use for rebuys and what the min and max buy-in should be.

I currently have:

• $1 – 250
  • $5 – 500
  • $25 – 150
  • $100 – 75
  • $500 – 25

All responses are highly appreciated.

One barell of 1s and the rest in 5s for the initial buy in.

Rebuys, all 5s until you run out of them.

Min buyin 50bb.
Max 200bb or half of the biggest stack at the table
Thank you Trever appreciate it. ♠️

One barell of 1s and the rest in 5s for the initial buy in.

Rebuys, all 5s until you run out of them.

Min buyin 50bb.
Max 200bb or half of the biggest stack at the table
This is the way. Altho maybe $500 max not $400.

I don't see the point of starting stacks in a cash game. As a host I sit down with all 1s that I feel are needed for one table (in my case 200, but YMML) and the rest in 5s. Players who buy in only get fives which is super easy and fast: one barrel per 100. Once they're seated I give them a stack of 1s for four 5s.

If/when a second table opens up, one player gets 200 in 1s and the others get 5s.

Rebuys/top-ups are in fives until they're out, after that 25s are given out.

My 0.02

I don't see the point of starting stacks in a cash game.

I like having starting stacks. I organize it and structure it pre game. My players hand me a $100 bucks. I hand them 12 x .25, 17 x $1, and $16 x 5. Easy peasy. That sounds easier than making change for everyone as they buy in.

Using the above starting stacks allows me to put all of the fracs and ones on the table that I want. As @trever said. All rebuys are in fives until they are gone.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Do whatever is easiest and more fun for you.

I have a suggested buy in of $125. Tilts some ppl, but the ones who oblige get a barrel each of .25, 1, 5. I am also fine with anything $50-250. We play .5/1

Edit: if we did 1/2 id prob do suggested buy in of $200 and do 20x1, 20 +1 x 5, and 3x 25

I don't see the point of starting stacks in a cash game
I like having starting stacks.
I think you both have a point :)

I don’t really care about getting everybody a matching starting stack per se, but I like doing it as a pre-game ritual. I’m like a kid at christmas everytime it’s time for a game, and I just can’t not get the table ready and the chips out hours before the first player arrives.

Stacks are ready for Friday night!

PXL_20220803_145546088.jpg

Is the game raked? If it is I would suggest doing away with as many small chips as you can.

I always use 1 rack of £1s, 2 racks of £5 and a rack of £25s. £25 are used as drop chips unless any £100s are on the table, in which case they will go down the hole instead. If you are running 1-2 you could probably move down to just 60 £1s on the table, once people start straddling to £5 they are very rarely used anyway.

When players buyin Ill give the first 5 20 £1 chips. After that I just give everyone £5s until the £25s start coming out.

It depends if you want your game to play bigger or not. The more big chips on the table the bigger the game will play. I run a beginer .25/.25 game with a $40-$60 buy in and we start with a stack of quarters and the rest in $1's. The first round of rebuys generally get $1's and then $5's after that. $25's aren't generally in play for that game. I also run a $1/$1 game with $50-$150 buyin. I'll give them 2 barrels of 1's and the rest $5's to start then $5's and $25's for rebuys.

Is the game raked? If it is I would suggest doing away with as many small chips as you can.

I always use 1 rack of £1s, 2 racks of £5 and a rack of £25s. £25 are used as drop chips unless any £100s are on the table, in which case they will go down the hole instead. If you are running 1-2 you could probably move down to just 60 £1s on the table, once people start straddling to £5 they are very rarely used anyway.

When players buyin Ill give the first 5 20 £1 chips. After that I just give everyone £5s until the £25s start coming out.
very helpful, thanks Billy.

I don't see the point of starting stacks in a cash game.
Well everyone has to start with something :p
. As a host I sit down with all 1s that I feel are needed for one table (in my case 200, but YMML) and the rest in 5s
Oh this is what you mean. Yeah this approach makes sense too. :).

@Enigma MOAR FIVES. No such thing as too many fives:).

Seriously, though. You have a pretty good breakdown. Possibly too many singles if players don't need them for rake and tip.

I like having starting stacks. I organize it and structure it pre game. My players hand me a $100 bucks. I hand them 12 x .25, 17 x $1, and $16 x 5. Easy peasy. That sounds easier than making change for everyone as they buy in.

Using the above starting stacks allows me to put all of the fracs and ones on the table that I want. As @trever said. All rebuys are in fives until they are gone.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Do whatever is easiest and more fun for you.
I agree with having stacks all ready to go. For the initial buy-in, do you set it at a fixed #bb or do you use a range? I assume fixed since the stacks are already counted. What’s the most common for home cash games?

I am looking to set up my chips for either a $1/$1 or $1/$2 game. Same fixed/range question for the rebuys.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, Nice chips you have there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom