Starting New Home Game - Cards Question (1 Viewer)

Wolf_of_4th_Street

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all - Trying to get a new home game off the ground. What brands of cards are readily available that people recommend and how many decks do I need?

Thanks in advance!

How many players do you typically have and how often do you plan on hosting?

I would count on most good quality plastic cards to show wear after between 5 to 10 sessions of play. You're going to need a new set up every month or so if you have a weekly game or more, but YMMV depending on what cards you buy.

The best cards out there are Dal Negro, Cartamundi (Belgium stock only), desjgn, and Fournier.

All except for desjgn are pretty hard to find, but are out there. Let me know if you're interested in those and I can point you in the right direction. Out of what's available readily in the USA though, it starts and ends with @desjgn for me.

Desjgn are my favorites. Copag and Kem are also readily available with a wide range of back designs but they aren't great in my opinion. Stick with 100% plastic cards.

I disagree that cards need to be replaced as often as stated above, I've been going on the same setup of Desjgn for over a year with no marked cards or signs of wear. Cheaper decks definitely don't last though. I went through 2 setups of a group buy card, aristo clubs, in 5-6 months. YMMV. If people are peeking cards with a card capper on top you'll get marked cards quickly.

Desjgn are my favorites. Copag and Kem are also readily available with a wide range of back designs but they aren't great in my opinion. Stick with 100% plastic cards.

I disagree that cards need to be replaced as often as stated above, I've been going on the same setup of Desjgn for over a year with no marked cards or signs of wear. Cheaper decks definitely don't last though. I went through 2 setups of a group buy card, aristo clubs, in 5-6 months. YMMV. If people are peeking cards with a card capper on top you'll get marked cards quickly.
YMMV for sure on durability, but I was speaking more towards the ink on the faces fading rather than the shape and condition of the cards themselves. Desjgn cards are especially durable in maintaining their shape.

If little is paid mind to minor fading and pips can still be read across the table, a good set up can last a couple of years before becoming "gummy" feeling. Of course, a set up used weekly versus monthly or bimonthly is going to fade and become gummy much faster than cards used less often. I've felt new desjgn and gummy desjgns and the difference is noticeable to the point I can discern between the two and can correctly identify the gummy setup versus the new set up with my eyes closed.

I get 25-35 games per deck of Cartimundis.

Acetate plastic cards (ie modiano platinum) are much better than regular plastic (ie copac). We can’t get thru half the night with regular plastic. IMO modiano platinums are the best, but they are hard to find now. I don’t know if they will ever start producing them again.

I find copag was most successful in “shuffling”, my friends are quite bad at shuffling but these were the easiest for them.

Faded spade was the easiest to slide across and deal but they’re a little more coarse/slippery making them a little more difficult to deal for most

If shuffling/dealing is not an issue, I recommend Faded Spade. They are visually more appealing imo and easier to see on the board

Lol whatever happened to some good old fashioned Bee's?? Always liked the look of those and thought they could last awhile.

Hi all - Trying to get a new home game off the ground. What brands of cards are readily available that people recommend and how many decks do I need?

Thanks in advance!
per table you will need 2 decks for a player dealt game (two different color decks). I recommend plastic cards either Copag, Kem or Modiano are the most common available though there are other brands. Two decks should last you between 1-6 games on average depending on use and your players tendency to curl them. If using Bee/Bicycle cards then I recommend up to 6 decks per game as they can be ruined by players bending the paper.

I never understood why Modiano Platinum was discontinued. You know the scoop?
Do we know that they’re discontinued?
I’ve been under the impression that it might just be a temporary, supply chain sort of thing.

I have lots of extra decks. I'll shoot you a pm and send you some different brands to try out.

Kem, Fournier, DalNegro, Modiano Platinum.....
And Trefl (good and made in Poland)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom