Starting My First Customs... (1 Viewer)

Ronoh

Full House
Reaction score
...and looking for input. I am planning on using this thread for all ideas, thoughts, mock ups, etc throughout the process and I am not in any rush... it could end up being a year or more before I order.

Of note, they will be done by CPC on the FDL mold and J5 is going to be handling the inlay design.

Of further note, it will be a cash set in Cali colors using denoms .25 OR .50, $1, $5, $20, $100. I may wait on the hundos for a future add-on because I will have no use for them what-so-ever. It is 100 minimum per chip ordered right?

I have not even begun to seriously break down colors/spots, right now I am just looking for a name so J5 can start whenever he finds some time and it is on this front that I am looking for input.

When I first contacted J5 I mentioned I was toying with a mountain theme and playing around with the names Summit or Switchback because I love hiking and would rather be standing on top of a mountain than anywhere else at any given time but now am considering personalizing them a bit more (to be clear he has not yet started working on my project). I have one of those last names that, as a guy, just "becomes" your only name. My entire life 90% of people I know never use my first name and I guarantee half the people I knew in my seven years in Vegas couldn't tell you my first name if they had a gun to their head... I've always just been Fink and it's occurred to me this could look good on a poker chip. Fink's Poker Room? Fink's Cardroom? Rat Fink something-or-other (not a big rat fink fan but who knows).

Logically it seems my best option may be to use the name and still keep the mountains theme but I've been driving myself nutty the last few days over this and figured I would ask for a clear perspective. Thoughts?

CPC min is 300 for 3 different chips. Meaning you could have a 150/100/50 breakdown. Don't need to have a 100 of each.

Each extra chip requires an extra 100 chips to the total order. If you need help to break the next 100 consider sample sets. I could only get my bounty chips made because of the amount of sample sets ordered.

Also aren't the Finks a bikie gang? I prefer your other suggestions.

Summit Card Room has a nice ring to it.

CPC min is 300 for 3 different chips. Meaning you could have a 150/100/50 breakdown. Don't need to have a 100 of each.
Good info, thanks. I knew the minimums (300 for 3, 400 for 4, 500 for 5, etc) but thought it had to be a minimum of 100 per chip as well. Great to know I don't need to order of a full rack for a chip I'll probably never even get one of in to play :)

Samples will of course be offered to those that want them. Throughout the process anyone who offers up an idea/change that makes the final cut will get a sample set on me.

Summit Card Room has a nice ring to it.
Was my first choice before deciding to at least play with the idea of Finks making the inlay but if Finks gets nixed I am now leaning a bit more towards Switchback. May need to see both before deciding a favorite.

Switchback has some good "word art" potential. Put "Switch" and "back" in the shape of a switchback, if that makes sense.

Switchback Finks Card room? The Summit Finks card room? might be workable...

on another note, I've just about got all the stock samples I could want so anytime anyone starts another custom set I hope I get in and grab a set... time to start at least thinking about customs for myself too.

Was my first choice before deciding to at least play with the idea of Finks making the inlay but if Finks gets nixed I am now leaning a bit more towards Switchback. May need to see both before deciding a favorite.

Really, really looking forward to seeing the genesis of your custom set man!

I think both paths would be great... You already have a more elaborate concept in mind and are working with the 'myth' J5, so I'd try to develop that to the max...

Have fun brother!!

Last edited:
Just playing around with the Chip Factory... first attempt with zero idea what I'm after aside from the base colors

SB.png

That rainbow chip is FABulous!!!

All kidding aside, I like the colors. The spots on the $5 and $20 look kind of similar, but I'm making my rookie set too, so what the eff do I know :)

Last edited:
Whatever you do, get your hands on a set of CPC color sample chips before you make your final color decisions. Use the tool to work out your basic ideas/direction, sure, but let the actual sample chips be what makes your final decisions.

Buy a set for $40+, or rent a set from someone for the cost of shipping. However you do it...just do it. I can't do justice in describing how valuable those color samples were in the overall process!

Whatever you do, get your hands on a set of CPC color sample chips before you make your final color decisions. Use the tool to work out your basic ideas/direction, sure, but let the actual sample chips be what makes your final decisions.

Buy a set for $40+, or rent a set from someone for the cost of shipping. However you do it...just do it. I can't do justice in describing how valuable those color samples were in the overall process!

If you are seriously considering a set I have samples you can borrow. Just pay for shipping and be sure that I get them back.

If you are seriously considering a set I have samples you can borrow. Just pay for shipping and be sure that I get them back.
Thanks, I'll take you up on that a bit further in to the process :)

I built a set of solids 6 or 7 years ago. I thought I had the colors I wanted until I ordered a sample set of them. Changed everything for me once I actually had them in hand

I'm surprised you don't have a custom set already. My input would be to do a 0.25 chip rather than a 0.50 chip, just more flexible.

Since you enjoy hiking, mountains, etc. why not something like Rivers Ridge or Summit Ridge (poker lodge?)

What do you think the rainbow chips will cost? Around $3-4 each?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom