Starlink Internet (1 Viewer)

I'm getting Starlink installed RIGHT NOW. I'm super excited to have high speed internet at the cabin, FINALLY.

Speed tests for my current crap-ass internet shows 15.1 Mbps download, and 1.2 Mbps upload!
And yeah, I've been paying $100/month for that. lol.

I can't wait to get that dish working. Woo Hoo!!!
How long did you have to wait from the time you ordered it until it arrived?

How long did you have to wait from the time you ordered it until it arrived?
Not sure, I'm not in the ordering department :)
But it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 months, I think.
The bummer was that it arrived after the first snow (mid November), and so we had to wait until now for the weather to clear, enough to get someone to climb a 30-foot ladder to install it. So we have had it sitting here (paying for the service) since November!!

I went to put the deposit down on the equipment and it says it wouldn't be available in my area until 2023 or later.

Not sure, I'm not in the ordering department :)
But it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 months, I think.
The bummer was that it arrived after the first snow (mid November), and so we had to wait until now for the weather to clear, enough to get someone to climb a 30-foot ladder to install it. So we have had it sitting here (paying for the service) since November!!
Remote cabin humblebrag. :sneaky: ;)

It's a one percent of the one percent problem. If you need high speed internet in the middle of nowhere (or your yacht, or wherever), that's an extreme first world problem. You opted to be in a remote location. Internet isn't a right, it's a luxury.

Oh, boo-hoo, I can't update my Facebook out at my cabin in the hills. I can't keep up with my online gaming while I'm away from home. I can't stream the video I want at my forest enclave.

It's full fledged litter. Starlink makes up half the functioning satellites in orbit, and what they have up now is only 10% of their desired constellation. It is already impacting the ability for me and my colleagues to do our work.

(reference: https://earthsky.org/space/who-owns-satellites-company-country/ )
(reference for a broad overview of the issue: https://www.livescience.com/how-many-satellites-orbit-earth )

JWST had to delay their launch to avoid a Starlink satellite. There will be an orbital collision caused by this (and/or one of the other flotilla of satellites that are being hefted in to space) that will make the debris problem even worse than the few anti-satellite tests have already. A friend of mine (who is studying this issue) fears there will be a loss-of-life incident caused by orbital debris in the next decade. The uncontrolled rate at which objects are being launched into space is unprecedented and appears to not be slowing anytime soon.

(A scientific reference with numbers and discussion that this could be considered an environmental issue: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-022-01655-6 )

Finally, the P.R. stunt Elon pulled shipping Starlink stations to Ukraine was cute. Those people are trapped in a war zone. Basic commodities are likely difficult to come by. I'm honestly not certain of the state of the power grid there, but if that has been impacted, simply keeping a phone that could be connected to a WiFi station that's powered by Starlink might be a problem that's low on the list of priorities of a Ukraine citizen at this point in their lives.

[I have very strong feelings about this, and in the interest of not getting increasingly irate about this issue, this will be my one and only post in this thread. I would say "convince me otherwise", but the evidence is building that this is generally a bad idea and if that evidence happens to change, I'll come across that on my own while keeping tabs on this when it happens.]

It's a one percent of the one percent problem. If you need high speed internet in the middle of nowhere (or your yacht, or wherever), that's an extreme first world problem. You opted to be in a remote location. Internet isn't a right, it's a luxury.

Oh, boo-hoo, I can't update my Facebook out at my cabin in the hills. I can't keep up with my online gaming while I'm away from home. I can't stream the video I want at my forest enclave.

Wow! Seriously?
If you have a problem with Elon or Starlink or whatever, fine. But attack the company offering the thing you despise, not the consumer. WT-actual-F, dude?

Last edited:
<ordering starlink for my yacht>

1652329019014.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom