Starlink Internet (1 Viewer)

MatB

Royal Flush
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
Anyone signed up for or already using the Starlink internet service.

I was tempted but it looks like $599 for equipment then $99/ month. for up to 200mbs dl

Right now my concern is im in a spot with a few trees and would probably have to do a roof mount for the dish.

Anyway... its early days, seeing if any user feedback yet. So far the few online reviews I've seen people are happy.

Anyone signed up for or already using the Starlink internet service.

I was tempted but it looks like $599 for equipment then $99/ month. for up to 200mbs dl

Right now my concern is im in a spot with a few trees and would probably have to do a roof mount for the dish.

Anyway... its early days, seeing if any user feedback yet. So far the few online reviews I've seen people are happy.
Dang, the $599 equipment fee and $99 monthly both seem high. Especially only for 200 megs down. Do they allow you to use your own modem and maybe reduce that equipment fee?

Dang, the $599 equipment fee and $99 monthly both seem high. Especially only for 200 megs down. Do they allow you to use your own modem and maybe reduce that equipment fee?

It comes with a modem. SO id think probably not able to use your own.

I was thinking 200mbs for $99/ month wasn't cheap.

But then im paying $75 (I think) for 100mbs. with Comcast. which seems fast enough.

I read recently some people were getting 300mbs download. With Starlink.

Yeah I think m getting screwed, but don't have another option except Starlink.

But then im paying $75 (I think) for 100mbs. with Comcast. which seems fast enough.

Does Comcast have no competition in your area? No FIOS? Because that seems expensive for 100MB service.

No Fios in my immediate area.

I'm checking my invoice right now.

I'm not sure what the internet portion of my bill is, but I also have Comcast. My bill is 195 a month for their triple play service. We get a total of 3 cable boxes with DVR playback and 220 HD channels, 600mbps blaze internet, and home phone which my parents want to keep as we've had our landline for like 3 decades. I'm guessing the bundle gives me a discount but the internet portion of my bill can't be over $100 bucks.

Yeah I think m getting screwed, but don't have another option except Starlink.
I’m not going to tell you what I’m paying for 15 Mbps on DSL. But it’s generally fast enough and one of my life goals is to never ever give Comcast another dollar.
So I’m also interested in the sattelite internet options.
But my DISH installers had an awful hard time finding a line of site from my property, so I wonder if star link is even possible for me.

I’m not going to tell you what I’m paying for 15 Mbps on DSL. But it’s generally fast enough and one of my life goals is to never ever give Comcast another dollar.
So I’m also interested in the sattelite internet options.
But my DISH installers had an awful hard time finding a line of site from my property, so I wonder if star link is even possible for me.

The line of sight is important. that what has me worried too.

This is my current bill.

And I think I can do away with the broadcast channels now.

Im paying $95 $65 for 100mbs

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 2.41.32 PM.png

so $65 for 100mbs.

Viasat and Hughesnet. both satellite offerings with up to 25mbs. !!

these are my 4 options (currently using Xfinity)

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 3.02.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 3.02.10 PM.png

We've been paying $79.99 for the Gigabyte service for about 2 years now. Looking at the bill, the service should cost $134.99 but there has always been a $45 discount off that price and then another $10 for autopay. We don't have any contract or any other services with Verizon.

that's pretty good. I would definitely not call them to find out if its a mistake.

that's pretty good. I would definitely not call them to find out if its a mistake.

lol... when we signed up for the service, it was advertised at $89.99. There was no mention of any promo or discount. I'm thinking they raised the praise and perhaps we are grandfathered in. :unsure: Comcast is available here too so I suspect the price wars are in our favor.

I pay 75 a month for the comcast gigabyte. Ironically I was paying more but thought I was getting a discount by using my own modem/router. I saw an ad in the mail and called, they sent me their modem/router, free Peacock and that device, and lowered my bill by about $40 per month. Also my wifi is better throughout the house with their modem so Youtube TV works much better.

I'm getting Starlink installed RIGHT NOW. I'm super excited to have high speed internet at the cabin, FINALLY.

Speed tests for my current crap-ass internet shows 15.1 Mbps download, and 1.2 Mbps upload!
And yeah, I've been paying $100/month for that. lol.

I can't wait to get that dish working. Woo Hoo!!!

My colleague at work recently got starlink. He lives in the sticks and he always dropped on Teams calls. Not anymore! Now he can turn in his video. He did say he has to clean up a tree that does block signal at times.

No real experience for me yet (got 1 on deck and 15 more on order), but in theory, it should be way better than any other Sat provider. Both in bandwidth and latency (and mobility now). The business class version will let you ipsec tunnel to extend your private network anywhere. They have so many satellites in orbit that availability is good and predictable. Solid choice it seems where other options suck…until proven otherwise.

Fiber > Cable (Docsis) > 5G/4G FWA > Starlink > DSL

If your only option is some sort of DSL service I would jump on Starlink. It's not cheap but it's perfectly reasonable for 200Mbit/s over satellite.

In the country here too... Have Both hughesnet and ATT cellular unlimited. both around 20m down and 3-5 up. The latency on the hughesnet is unbearable and some devices hate the wait! LOL watching to see if this is better in the latency department!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom