Stardust Single Chip Limit Set (1 Viewer)

bentax1978

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Looking to solicit some opinions on my plans to relabel a large quantity of Stardust Mansion T100 chips into a single chip limit set. I really really like the chips themselves (colors and simple 314 spots), and the fact that they're like-new makes it even nicer. I'm not typically a fan of house molds, especially for a relabel project, but overall I actually do like this particular mold.

I had three thoughts on directions to take this project. One thought was to do nothing and leave them as-is. The upside is that it would cost nothing, take no time, and the inlays themselves aren't offensive (and actually attractive IMO). The downside is that they're T100 tournament chips and for this application I'd prefer something without a denomination (and the without the word "tournament". I'll call this option 0.

So the two relabel options I had in mind were to either (1) keep the Stardust Mansion theme and use a modified cash chip inlay design, without a denomination, or (2) do a Stardust-Vegas tribute chips and play off the house mold even if it's not really the Vegas Stardust.

Option 1 has the advantage of being able to also use the chips with a Stardust Mansion cash set. For example, the $1 SDM chips could be used as antes when using the non-denomination relabeled chips as $3 chips. I could also use the relabeled chips as $5 chips (along with the $1 chips) for a 1/2 game with a ton of $5 chips.

Option 2 would be the total redesign. No real practical advantages here in terms of coordination with the SDM chips, although I would have no issue also relabeling the SDM $1 chips too as additional non-denomination chips to go with the limit set. I'm considering this option because if I'm going to go through the time and expense of relabeling thousands of chips, I wanted to consider other options as well and not just restrict myself to the existing design.

Edit: There's also another design I was working on, but had sort of put it aside as I didn't know how viable it would be printed on a label. It's basically just an image of the STARDUST sign at night, tweaked a little bit. I think it makes a cool image, but not 100% sure how it would look on the chip.

So below are a few ideas that I, along with some very helpful assistance from @p5woody, put together.

Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

s-l1600.jpg

option 1b.jpg option 1a.jpg option 2a.jpg option 2b.jpgoption 3a.jpgoption 3b.jpg

Option 6 comparison, with and without "Las Vegas"
compare-6-and-6d-jpg.28187

option-6-tan-jpg.28218

latest mockups
imgp8663-jpg.28429

Last edited:
#1, and #5 but with the font from #3&4. Difficult to choose between those two.

#5 all the way!

Number 5 with font from 3 & 4, then see what color the words should be.

I was having trouble finding a picture of the sign with the old style text that would work. However, I did find this sweet animated gif and used one of the frame and merged it into number 5.

Is this pretty much what you guys meant?

giphy.gif

162358178.OMjF3Yex.option3b.jpg

I was having trouble finding a picture of the sign with the old style text that would work. However, I did find this sweet animated gif and used one of the frame and merged it into number 5.

I like that one, but you can probably drop the "NV" for a cleaner look.

Nice one but i love the option 0 chip !!!

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up option 0 :)

I really do like that inlay as-is and think it looks great with the chip. The fact that I don't need a label to differentiate denominations, nor to unify different chips into a set, makes doing nothing at all at least a potential option.

I say 3 or 4 because I like the actual chip design

I do as well.

I do have slight concerns that going with a non black background as it could be potentially problematic with these chips in terms of a relabel. The original inlay covers nearly 100% of the chip recess. So unless the label is exactly the same size as the recess, there is the potential for black to show through as slivers on the edge of the label. That's why I posted option 4 as well, as one "solution" would be to add an intentional black ring around the label to mitigate the above described issue.

edit: here's a link to some similar tributes that I came across on CT when looking for ideas for this set.

p2310.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea. If you have 2 racks of $25s to go with, I'd make a non denom chip that matched them but it really doesn't matter, all the ideas are good.

I like the idea. If you have 2 racks of $25s to go with, I'd make a non denom chip that matched them but it really doesn't matter, all the ideas are good.

That's what I was originally thinking, but from what I understand, getting a couple racks of $25 chips would be nearly impossible and/or very expensive. I have almost 4 racks of $1 chips, which is one of the main reason I was considering doing a non-denomination version of the SDM inlay. But at the same time, if I wanted a second color chip for this set (for antes or high value chips), I could still relabel those $1 chips to match whatever I end up doing for the bulk of the set.

Also had a thought that if I went with any of the Vegas options, I could add a few "vintage" commemorative chips into the mix. Not a ton, maybe just enough that they'd come one per barrel.

Maybe something along these lines?

SD vintage chip 2.jpg SD vintage chip 1.jpg SD vintage chip 5.jpg SD vintage chip 4.jpg

For a more vintage feel, 5 is the clear winner. I never saw that particular sign live, so I personally prefer #4.

And I prefer any of the mocks in the OP vs. the ones in post 16.

And I prefer any of the mocks in the OP vs. the ones in post 16.

The mockups in post 16 weren't meant to replace the ones in the OP. Just thought about potentially making a dozen or so of each and putting them into the 1500 chip set so that every once in a while one would pop up when playing.

I'm obviously in the minority, but I really like this one over anything else submitted so far:

I don't think you're in the minority. I'm fairly sure that's the one most people picked when they said "#5 with the font from #3/#4". At the time I hadn't posted the chip above (which I suppose is now #6).

I very much like that one too. I'm going to get some samples printed up from @Gear to see how they translate to a printed label. My (and his) concern is only whether or not enough detail will be present so that the design still has the same impact. I'm also planning on getting a few of the other labels printed up as well to see how they look in person. Sometimes it's hard to really decide based on virtual mock-ups alone.

For the other "Limited Edition" labels... I would try a black/white or greyscale instead of color... just to see how they look.

I think you know where I stand :) love them all in one way or another. Have 6 different inlays(labels)

I think you know where I stand :) love them all in one way or another. Have 6 different inlays(labels)

I suppose since all the chips are going to be the same value, and the inlays are there just to be decorative, I could do that ;)

But I think the plan right now is to have samples printed of #3 and #6 to compare and see how they look in person, applied to the chips. I am leaning towards #6, which also seems to be the most popular of the choices. This was my original thought for the project when I started, I just wasn't sure how it would translate to a label. I still like the idea of #3 as well, so I at least want to see what looks like printed out.

Any other suggestions on tweaks to either #3 or #6 before I have samples printed out? I think the suggestion to remove "NV" was a good one (thanks @inca911) as it does look cleaner and better balanced. Any suggestions for possible tweaks/improvements to #3?

option-2a-jpg.28102

option-3b-jpg.28129

I like number 6 easily. How about just losing the Las Vegas completely? It is a different font then Stardust and tilts me a bit. No location and that label is the tits.

I like all the ideas here. I would favor a more simplistic design. These look great when blown up on my monitor. However, I think a lot of that detail will muddy the overall image in pots and in stacks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom