Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

Well, since I have no work right now :-(

When did Leia become a Jedi? Did I miss all of her training? If she was a Jedi, why did she never fight or even carry the light saber in all 9 movies, the weapon of the Jedi? And why did R2 have to send that urgent message to Ben Kenobi, 'our only hope,' back in IV? She was a fucking Jedi! Has any other living Jedi still involved with the Rebellion (so I'm excluding Luke) ever given up her lightsaber?! I get that she became a Commander/General/whatever, but why give your lightsaber to your brother, to hide under a rock?

I think the most obvious answer is "Because the screenplay required it". That's the way the sequels often play out. Stuff happens because they need to happen to move the story forward - instead of actions coming out of characters and things developing logically.

Leia being a Jedi specifically though.. I bet you they read reviews and criticisms and decided to 'retcon' the sequels to shut people up. So when people complain that Leia could Mary Poppins her way to the ship in outer space, and also complained that Rey is Mary Sue, they found a solution in making Leia a Jedi retroactively. Like every other 'solution' in this trilogy it creates more problems than it solves, like you pointed out. It's just shitty writing.

Luke is the badass of the universe through IV, V and VI and then we find out he hid on a desolate planet because he was scared? Waitwut? It would have been better to say that he was afraid if himself and giving in to temptation, but Abrams neuters Luke by saying he was scared and just leaving it at that.

I think they could have made it work if Luke was the very last known Jedi and he went into isolation because he didn't want to teach anyone and have them fall to the dark side, and then they learn that someone has "spawned" or they forgot to count someone or whatever. But of course again this 'idea' in the story means that Luke would have turned his back on Snoke and Kylo and others despite being the one who defeated Anakin and the Emperor. Shit writing.

And we have this tower that controls an entire fleet. But the Rebels figure it out and plan to destroy it. So the the First Order switches to the command ship for control (uh, what? Doesn't that command ship need the tower for orientation?!), the Rebels just abandon destroying the tower when all it would've taken was one blaster?! Not to worry, though, because when the Rebels switch the attack to the command ship, no one in the First Order thinks to switch control back to the undestroyed tower... And why the fuck wasn't that tower better protected? And better hidden? And why weren't there multiple towers? No one ever heard of redundancy, especially when dealing with such a large fleet?

"The script required it" for all of the above. So much stupid in that section of the film. Horses on a Star Destroyer? We don't really need to know anything else, do we?

Why did Rey have to bury Luke's lightsaber there? It was just a convenient reason to get her to Tatooine so she could declare herself a Skywalker and renounce her Palpatine bloodline, even the the whole movie was about not being afraid of who you are (and the whole point of all nine movies was overcoming who you are). So rather than redeeming the Palpatine surname, she switches to Skywalker. Why, so the movie title makes sense?

For that matter, Rise of Palpatine would have been a better title (except that Palpatine was dead), leading the viewer to wonder if the First/Final Order was finally gonna win. Maybe that would have been better if we didn't know this was the last movie. And it would've spoiled the reveal that Rey was a Palpatine, except that you knew that as soon as she shot lightning out of her hands in the first what, half hour?

Most importantly, who would fuck Palpatine?!

Shit writing.

For anyone who's bored:

Never bothered going to see it. Force awakens was bad, last jedi was embarrassing so gave up. And this is from someone who was a huge fan.
The first film my dad took me to see was Star Wars when I was 4. Loved it collected all the toys.
Then the prequels happened and they were pretty shite but the sequel trilogy (or at least the two I’ve seen) took it to a new level of shite.
On the plus side Rogue One was pretty good.

Rented this last Friday. Pretty atrocious “phone it in” job from top to bottom. Nothing made sense. Very early on I found myself rooting for that fleet of a billion star destroyers to vaporize the entire universe and end everyone’s pain. Rey’s kiss with the suddenly recovered homicidal, genocidal rage monster was beautiful though. :D

Just rented it yesterday. I would say that Rise of Skywalker was considerably better than the previous 2 episodes... which is setting the bar and expectations really low, but made it much more enjoyable.
The only movie I loved since the original trilogy was Rogue One.

So all I read was "I've been qaurantened for a very long time with nothing to do and also, i might have been a wee bit drunk when I saw it."
I didn’t like the force awakens and the last jedi was dreadful. I was expecting an absolute car crash of a movie and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Still a completely pointless trio of movies though.

I didn’t like the force awakens and the last jedi was dreadful. I was expecting an absolute car crash of a movie and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Still a completely pointless trio of movies though.

Well, apparently Lucasfilms agrees, as they are supposedly going to go full Palpatine on the trilogy.
https://cosmicbook.news/disney-resetting-star-wars-erasing-last-jedi?amp
execute-order-66-5af41e.png

Last edited:
Finally watched this for the first time over this past weekend.

First hour - absolute hot trash.

Second hour - still not good, but more enjoyable. Felt sort of like Return of the Jedi with the huge final battle + the confrontation between Jedi and emperor happening simultaneously.

So, overall, definitely not great, but it hurdled over the ridiculously low bar that The Last Jedi established.

I don't want to get into a long review of what I didn't like, but one of my biggest takeaways was the liberties that they began to take with force powers in the last 2 movies. All of a sudden, we can just revive dead people, get yourself back to your ship after being blown into the vacuum of space, heal wounds by touch, communicate with people from across galaxies (which basically causes death by Force overdose in the case of Luke and Leia), bring down huge ships (Rey) and entire fleets (Palpatine) just by pointing your hands at the sky?

If we really wanted to get frisky, we'd start ranking them from 1-9. Curious if anyone has any of 7/8/9 even in their top half.

Well, with I, II and III, these (VII, VIII and IX) have to rank between 1 and 6, so yeah, some of them have to hit the top half.

I suppose the first mistake I made was saying "half" when we're dealing with an odd number.... :tdown:

More so I guess I meant I'm curious what's the highest that anyone has any of 7/8/9? Maybe someone loved one of them so much that it's their #1 or #2... heaven forbid.

I think #8 is the only one that drops to the bottom of the list with the prequels for me. #1 and #3 might beat it out. I think #2 goes to the bottom of the list for the terrible love scenes, riding stupid CGI animals around in a field, and I hate sand.

I think #8 is the only one that drops to the bottom of the list with the prequels for me. #1 and #3 might beat it out. I think #2 goes to the bottom of the list for the terrible love scenes, riding stupid CGI animals around in a field, and I hate sand.

If anyone's ever seen Moneyball, I like to make this analogy:

"There are the originals, and there are all the others. Then there's 50 feet of crap... and THEN there's Attack of the Clones and The Last Jedi."

Last edited:
I suppose the first mistake I made was saying "half" when we're dealing with an odd number.... :tdown:

More so I guess I meant I'm curious what's the highest that anyone has any of 7/8/9? Maybe someone loved one of them so much that it's their #1 or #2... heaven forbid.

Are we ranking BEST or FAVORITE?! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Definitely not #1 or #2 best, but honestly, I think episode 7 is my second favorite.

I’d say best to worst 5, 4, 6, 7, 9, 3, 8, 1, 2
My favorite to least 6, 7, 9, 5, 4, 8, 3, 1, 2

4, 5, 6, Rogue1... don’t even bother with any of the others (apart from the Darth Maul fight and the end of 1)

You all have been way too verbose.

It's simple, the new trilogy, ESPECIALLY TLJ and Rise, are garbage.

I watched Rise way after the fact, and in really wish I hadn't bothered. But I'm really upset that I actually spent money to see TLJ. I feel I deserve like 10x my money back for that pile.

4, 5, 6, 8, 7, 1, 3, 2, 9

There’s a tier system. Rank em however you want within the tier and you’re not wrong. Go outside the tier and you’re wrong. This is not subjective.

tier 1
4, 5

tier 2
6, 7, 8

tier 3
Prequels

tier 4

There’s a tier system. Rank em however you want within the tier and you’re not wrong. Go outside the tier and you’re wrong. This is not subjective.

tier 1
4, 5

tier 2
6, 7, 8

tier 3
Prequels

tier 4

I like this tier idea, but mine would ultimately look a bit different than yours:

Tier 1
4, 5

Tier 2

Bonus "Star Wars Story" Tier:
Rogue One

Tier 3
1, 2, 3

Tier 4
2nd Bonus "Star Wars Story" Tier:
Solo, 9

Tier 5

I actually liked (7) Force Awakens. It showed promise that quickly dimished with the next 2. (8) Last Jedi & (9) Rise liked not so much but I'd say I liked them better than any of the prequels (1,2,3).

After (8) Last Jedi I have to say that (9) Rise was the first & only Star Wars film I didn't go see in a theater.

I actually liked (7) Force Awakens. It showed promise that quickly dimished with the next 2. (8) Last Jedi & (9) Rise liked not so much but I'd say I liked them better than any of the prequels (1,2,3).

After (8) Last Jedi I have to say that (9) Rise was the first & only Star Wars film I didn't go see in a theater.
Yeah I didn’t go to see it either. Saw the original in 1977 when I was 3 so let’s be honest, my dad wanted to see it. Didn’t see Empire in theatre as by that point we had a VCR and clearly my dad was happy with a crappy pirate copy. Saw all the rest and each one destroyed a little piece of my enthusiasm until TLJ completely wiped it out.

Yeah I didn’t go to see it either. Saw the original in 1977 when I was 3 so let’s be honest, my dad wanted to see it. Didn’t see Empire in theatre as by that point we had a VCR and clearly my dad was happy with a crappy pirate copy. Saw all the rest and each one destroyed a little piece of my enthusiasm until TLJ completely wiped it out.

This. Honestly, to this day, I have no idea what compelled me to actually pay to go and see Episode 9 after the debacles that were Episode 8 and SOLO. Pure and utter Garbage.

tier 1
4, 5

tier 2
6, 7, 8

tier 3
Prequels

tier 4

I also like the tier idea, but mine looks a bit different.

If you read this from top to bottom, it coincides with my ranking from best to worst. But I do agree with the notion that you can bunch multiples into tiers together.

Tier 1
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope

Tier 2
Return of the Jedi
Revenge of the Sith

Tier 3
The Force Awakens
The Phantom Menace
The Rise of Skywalker

Tier 4
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi

For me, Tier 4 is miles and miles (and miles) below anything else.

It's funny, after Episode 7, I was unimpressed, but it wasn't terrible and seemed to at least hint at some interesting storylines to come. Then came Rogue One, which for me was actually one of the better Star Wars movies. After that I was actually pretty stoked for 8.... talk about being set up for disappointment. :banghead:

It's funny, after Episode 7, I was unimpressed, but it wasn't terrible and seemed to at least hint at some interesting storylines to come. Then came Rogue One, which for me was actually one of the better Star Wars movies. After that I was actually pretty stoked for 8.... talk about being set up for disappointment. :banghead:
I mean it’s probably the easiest way to make a good movie. All the history is there and great characters... but no let’s destroy every 40 something’s childhood. Dicks :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom