Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (1 Viewer)

Havn't seen this one yet but apart from Rouge One, i liked that one quite a lot, there hasn't been a good star wars move since 1983 or whenever return of the jedi came out. I find the new ones okay at best and down right horrible at worst.

That said, i think the Mandalorian is pretty entertaining as a show.

The previous movies have been dumpster fires, I expect this one will be the same.
On behalf of Star Wars fans everywhere... please stay home!

If you're looking for an Academy Award winning Best Picture, you'll be disappointed. If you want a sci-fi movie about laser swords, good guys vs bad guys, and a great balance of action and tying up a 9 movie arc, you'll be thoroughly satisfied.

I’d love to see how all of the naysayers would have written the movie(s). Everyone’s a critic, but when push comes to shove, could anyone actually do a better job. Not one article says how it could have; should’ve been better... just that they were disappointed.

No spoilers yet, so, don’t answer the question yet. (I was generally directing this to the “professionals”)

I’d love to see how all of the naysayers would have written the movie(s). Everyone’s a critic, but when push comes to shove, could anyone actually do a better job. Not one article says how it could have; should’ve been better... just that they were disappointed.

No spoilers yet, so, don’t answer the question yet. (I was generally directing this to the “professionals”)

I honestly liked the set up of VII, where I wasn't bummed about Rey being somewhat of a Mary Sue, but was liking the character of Fin, where it teased him that he might eventually become a Jedi. Which I really liked! Would be a great redemption story.

Even though I wasn't a fan of TLJ, I actually like the idea *SPOILERS* of Rey joining with Kylo towards the end. Would reflect Anakin's journey. Being the gifted Jedi but falling for the other side. Though Kylo was having his doubts of the new Empire and start his own group away from both sides.

That way it would still set up Fin then working more towards being a Jedi, seeking Luke for training if he was still around, then have a climatic showdown between Rey, the gifted Jedi who lost her way, against Fin, the lower pawn Trooper who went to the good side, and worked his way up to becoming a skilled Jedi and save his friend.

Would do some mirroring I guess of the original trilogy, but still have some twists to feel pretty fresh, coherent and consistent in the overall trilogy plot.

You can definitely see they didn't actually create a coherent trilogy, with each director doing there thing. Or really Rian Johnson doing his thing and not following what JJ laid out in the beginning of crafting this world. They really should have gotten people involved to created an overall arching story in the trilogy and stick with it.

I'll keep it relatively short since one thing I hate is loving a movie I just saw and then have people poo-poo it a lot;

RotJ punted on creativity, IMO. And tried for easy laughs... It was the beginning of the end, IMO.

Completely agree (with a caveat or two). The redeeming part of that film was the resolution in the throne room. Almost everything about that was great. Acting, music, cinematography, effects, and most importantly of all story. It tied everything together and made it make sense. I think from a story stand point it was perfect.

I recommend you find an interview by Irvin Kershner who directed 'Empire'. He makes some really interesting comments about Lucas and the franchise and where it was all headed. Very interesting stuff for SW fans. If I find time I'll try to dig it up...

It wasn’t that bad. But in today’s age, nothing can make everyone happy. Some people are just born sour. Dude probably only loves those movies that nobody else likes anyway

So as promised - without getting too negative - I actually think that you can make very good arguments for why TFA and TLJ both were objectively bad films, in contrast with for example the first two, and even the third actually. So, yeah, some people are just born sour, but just because they are it doesn't mean that some other people that aren't born that way don't have the same criticisms or that the criticisms are wrong.

In my view TFA was terrible in a surprising way, and TLJ the same multiplied by 100. TLJ effectively killed the franchise for me, and I was with it from the very beginning - a fan for like 35-40 years.

PS: I haven't seen this one and I doubt I'll ever see it in the theater. This will be a first for me for a SW movie. Unless someone spoils the movie and tells me Rey and Kylo get together and become a couple not knowing they are siblings, and their parents are Luke and Leia, I think I'll pass...

Here was my review for The Force Awakens:

Giving this a solid C, fuck you JJ Abrams! I didn't like what he did with the Star Trek films either.

PROS

Visually spectacular
Plenty of paying homage to the originals moments
Most of the primary actors were believable
Some very funny moments
BB8 was a welcome addition to the franchise

CONS

1. Too Much Paying Homage To The Originals

This film relied way too much on looking back at, or outright recreating, moments from the original films in an effort to appeal to those of us who are huge fans of the franchise, and perhaps because it worked then so they figure it must still work. The problem with this is it keeps the film from having its own amazing stand-out moments, from having its own personality and from allowing the "new class" to stand out since there is too much of the old cast taking up time on the screen.

We get another super weapon that has a weakness that must be exploited against insurmountable odds

A poor mans version of the Cantina

Another villain being pulled between darkness and light

Another force-wielding villain at odds with the military leadership who act all snarky with him

Another fish-faced Admiral Ackbar look-a-like had to be thrown in, but they don't even have him say "it's a trap!"

etc.

2. Kylo Ren

Talk about a seriously underwhelming villain. He looks nothing like the child of Han and Leia, and certainly doesn't inspire fear with his voice or appearance once the mask comes off. He reminds me too much of Hayden Christensen who I couldn't stand.

I mean, are we supposed to believe that this temper-tantrum throwing man-child has been given a position of authority in The New Order when even the slightest thing not going his way sends him into a fury where he smashes starship or spacestation controls with his lightsaber???

I mean, the dude stops a blaster bolt in midair AND holds it there AND takes a crossbow blaster shot to the side abdomen area but struggles fighting a former sanitation stormtrooper and then a girl who just became aware she has force powers?

3. Major Plot Points Sped Up Too Quickly

Finn quickly decides he wants to escape the New Order with little backstory to connect us with his character. He goes from being a sanitation worker to a guy who can fight with lightsabers and take down experienced tie fighter pilots when he's in the gunner seat

Rey, an abandoned girl who's been a scavenger all her life suddenly is an expert shot with blasters, can fight an experienced Sith in a lightsaber duel and win, can fix and fly spaceships AND develops her force powers in like three seconds and starts using them like they're second nature.

The Resistance learns of the super weapons location and weakness in half a second and mounts an attack just in the nick of time, stopping the firing of it with just a few seconds to spare, yeeee-haaawww!

4. Han's Death So Predictable

So painfully obvious this was going to happen once he confronted his son. And then wtf with the switch to Leia where she suddenly looks all sad and forlorn, how the fuck does she magically know Han just got run through?

5. The New Order, The Resistance, The Republic

The whole mixture here is a jumbled mess. Does (or did, I guess) The Republic pretty much run things? How did the New Order fit into the running of the galaxy? Why was there a Resistance if the Republic was running things?

6. Lame General of The New Order

Another fails-to-inspire fear or confidence character for The New Order, the general that was constantly squabbling with Kylo Ren left much to be desired and also came across as a temper-tantrum throwing man-child.

7. The Score

There was at least one throwback to music from the originals, but there wasn't really anything that stood out to me in the score that was memorable like the originals.

Overall I was left thoroughly underwhelmed and JJ Abrams continues to sink lower in my opinion. I'm just glad I didn't stand in line for hours and only spent 6 bucks on a matinee viewing of this.

and another response I made when people were talking about the next installment:

It tries so hard to pay homage to the originals that it lacks any standout moments of its own. It has a copycat Cantina location that's less interesting, a copycat super weapon that looks badass but is still a copycat and a copycat sith lord and apprentice that are positively watered down from the originals. Kylo comes across as a whiney man-child as does the General in his fleet, not really inspiring any confidence in the leadership of the First Order.

Rey somehow learns she has force powers in half a seconds time and takes less than a quarter of that time to become proficient enough in their use to fight a seasoned and trained veteran of the force.

Po is horrible, his acting is atrocious and he's just not a likeable character you can care about.

And then there's the music. Pull up a score from the originals and it will instantly conjure images of specific characters or scenes from the trilogy, it's fucking magical. But the new films completely lack that.

I think BB8 was really the only thing I enjoyed.

cliffs: There's no fucking magic with these new entries into the Star Wars universe. Visually stunning but lacking great characters, musical scores or a personality of their own.

I'm a huge fan but I stayed on IV, V and VI ... the rest I never hooked :tdown:

You can definitely see they didn't actually create a coherent trilogy, with each director doing there thing. Or really Rian Johnson doing his thing and not following what JJ laid out in the beginning of crafting this world. They really should have gotten people involved to created an overall arching story in the trilogy and stick with it.
Oh, I beg to differ. I thought they played off of each other incredibly well, especially after watching all three movies yesterday. They really flowed well overall, particularly when it comes to character arcs...

Oh, I beg to differ. I thought they played off of each other incredibly well, especially after watching all three movies yesterday. They really flowed well overall, particularly when it comes to character arcs...

I... just can't... resist...

Character arcs. Yeah, it's a thing in (some) Star Wars movies and any good movie.

Luke: Young. Naive. Over confident. Impatient. Not in the moment. Whines about working at the farm instead of hanging with his friends. Whines about not going to the academy next year. Gets beat up by a sand-person saved by Ben. Too late to save his foster parents. Gets almost beat up by a disfigured person in the Cantina and saved by Ben. Initially not that great with a light saber. But he learns quickly how to use the turret in the Falcon, and eventually trusts the force and as a good pilot (established earlier) blows up the death star. So, very flawed with room to grow.

In Empire he gets beat up by a snow creature and saved by Han. Fails initial test with Yoda. Fails two more tests (X-wing & cave) during training. Doesn't obey and leaves before training is done. But at least he is training and trying. Unfortunately gets his hand chopped off in the process of getting his ass 100% kicked by Vader. Failed to save any of his friends. Things are looking grim. Our hero has tremendous obstacles to overcome.

ROTJ finally sees him come into his own, grow up, and become a Jedi. But again he almost fails at the very end and only makes the correct decision after having defeated Vader. The lessons learned from his journey and that of his father is the core of the entire saga.

Rey? Perfect in TFA. Great heart. Does good. Never really fails. If she gets into a tricky spot she saves herself. TLJ? More of the same. She's perfect. There's absolutely zero development and zero stakes for her in those two movies. None. What's my incentive for watching the third film? A retcon where they flash-back or spell out in exposition how she got her powers? She's the daughter of Luke or something? There just is no character arc there.

You can't have two thirds of a trilogy be essentially empty of an arc with a perfect character and then ret-con that in the last film.

Another brief example... fuck it, let's make it two:

Snoke: Apart from being Emperor 2.0 he looked great. Andy Serkis is one of the best contemporary voice-actors around. He's just fantastic. But Snoke got neutered by Rian. So much for him being a badass. And that left Rey without any foe at all to fight. She was already greater than Kylo and Snoke was now dead. Story-telling 101 teaches us that you NEVER make the hero stronger than the villain, and you NEVER make the villain more interesting and complex than the hero. Fail on both counts.

General Hux: Generic quasi-Nazi commander 2.0. A bit cartoonish in TFA, but whatever. TLJ however made him into a total cartoon figure. "Your mama called" jokes? Really? Getting thrown around by a Jedi in utter humiliation? Yet another villain made insignificant.

So, character arcs? Sorry, haven't seen any yet, just terrible writing.

Character arcs, maybe, but I didn't feel or believe it from watching VII & VIII. Fin was completely underutilized in VIII when he had a pretty prominent role in VII and what was built up around in, and then was completely sidelined in VIII. I did like Kylo and Ren's interaction in VIII and thought was one of the best material in VIII, and could lead into something better in IX, but I'm in no hurry to see IX.

Plus I keep hearing IX tried to rights the wrongs of XIII when they *SPOILERS* made Rey's background essentially nothing, having nothing parents leave her, where here she's actually the granddaughter of the Emperor. That and other parts felt like t was trying hard to tell fans to forget the past and this is how it is now. Or trying to subvert expectations to stuff that's not meaningless: Snoke, Rey's parents, Luke, Han, etc, like it was trying to bait and switch just to do it.

And also how IX tries to put in A LOT to compensate anything that Rian didn't want to cover in VIII that JJ originally planned but was scrapped away, and JJ then trying to write a script wrapped in duct tape.

Character arcs. Yeah, it's a thing in (some) Star Wars movies and any good movie.

Luke: Young. Naive. Over confident. Impatient. Not in the moment. Whines about working at the farm instead of hanging with his friends. Whines about not going to the academy next year. Gets beat up by a sand-person saved by Ben. Too late to save his foster parents. Gets almost beat up by a disfigured person in the Cantina and saved by Ben. Initially not that great with a light saber. But he learns quickly how to use the turret in the Falcon, and eventually trusts the force and as a good pilot (established earlier) blows up the death star. So, very flawed with room to grow.

In Empire he gets beat up by a snow creature and saved by Han. Fails initial test with Yoda. Fails two more tests (X-wing & cave) during training. Doesn't obey and leaves before training is done. But at least he is training and trying. Unfortunately gets his hand chopped off in the process of getting his ass 100% kicked by Vader. Failed to save any of his friends. Things are looking grim. Our hero has tremendous obstacles to overcome.

ROTJ finally sees him come into his own, grow up, and become a Jedi. But again he almost fails at the very end and only makes the correct decision after having defeated Vader. The lessons learned from his journey and that of his father is the core of the entire saga.

Rey? Perfect in TFA. Great heart. Does good. Never really fails. If she gets into a tricky spot she saves herself. TLJ? More of the same. She's perfect. There's absolutely zero development and zero stakes for her in those two movies. None. What's my incentive for watching the third film? A retcon where they flash-back or spell out in exposition how she got her powers? She's the daughter of Luke or something? There just is no character arc there.

You can't have two thirds of a trilogy be essentially empty of an arc with a perfect character and then ret-con that in the last film.

Snoke: Apart from being Emperor 2.0 he looked great. Andy Serkis is one of the best contemporary voice-actors around. He's just fantastic. But Snoke got neutered by Rian. So much for him being a badass. And that left Rey without any foe at all to fight. She was already greater than Kylo and Snoke was now dead. Story-telling 101 teaches us that you NEVER make the hero stronger than the villain, and you NEVER make the villain more interesting and complex than the hero. Fail on both counts.

General Hux: Generic quasi-Nazi commander 2.0. A bit cartoonish in TFA, but whatever. TLJ however made him into a total cartoon figure. "Your mama called" jokes? Really? Getting thrown around by a Jedi in utter humiliation? Yet another villain made insignificant.

This is why I wished they made Rey go to the dark side, since she was so perfect. When she can do anything, and essentially do no wrong, she would actually go with Kylo through their interactions, would be an interesting character development (and reflect Anakin's, but that would go and reflect more of the prequel trilogy instead of doing their own thing, but I believe would work for character development), and give Fin more of that teased role of him potentially being a future Jedi, train to hone skills, actually give him development and something to do after VII, and face off to save Rey corrupted by the dark side: Corrupted Jedi natural genius VS hard-working Jedi newbie. Would be a very interesting contrast between the two (yet again would contrast Luke vs Vader, but still thinks would work in the this new trilogy story).

On behalf of Star Wars fans everywhere... please stay home!

If you're looking for an Academy Award winning Best Picture, you'll be disappointed. If you want a sci-fi movie about laser swords, good guys vs bad guys, and a great balance of action and tying up a 9 movie arc, you'll be thoroughly satisfied.

I WILL stay home. Eventually someone will have a dvd of it or be able to stream it; I’ll see it then without paying a pile of cash to sit in a crowded theater.

The original 3 movies set the bar that all the others would be judged by. None have really approached them. Episode 8 was very close though imho.

What? Wookies can change gender (and become force-sensitive) in a stressed environment? And Han knocked Chewie up after he broke up with Leia? So Rey and Kylo are half-siblings? This makes TOTAL SENSE now.

Has George Lucas filed a lawsuit yet?
No it was Binks who did the deed. He’d had ten pints and thought Chewie was Natalie Portman.

That’s her mum.

tumblr_mha5snb7nC1ra2m2bo7_250.gifv

This reviewer sums up my disenchantment with the Star Wars franchise under Disney.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off-topic, but here's an excerpt of the interview I was talking about, and it was with Gary Kurtz the producer, not Kershner the director (of "Empire"):

IGNFF: Well what were the original outlines for the prequels? Since they can be compared and contrasted now that the first one's out there, and the second one's soon to be out there. Were there major differences from what you saw, from the original outlines of prequel ideas?

KURTZ: Well a lot of the prequel ideas were very, very vague. It's really difficult to say. I can't remember much about that at all, except dealing with the Clone Wars and the formation of the Jedi Knights in the first place – that was supposed to be one of the keys of Episode I, was going to be how the Jedi Knights came to be. But all of those notes were abandoned completely. One of the reasons Jedi came out the way it did was because the story outline of how Jedi was going to be seemed to get tossed out, and one of the reasons I was really unhappy was the fact that all of the carefully constructed story structure of characters and things that we did in Empire was going to carry over into Jedi. The resolution of that film was going to be quite bittersweet, with Han Solo being killed, and the princess having to take over as queen of what remained of her people, leaving everybody else. In effect, Luke was left on his own. None of that happened, of course.

IGNFF: So it would have been less of a fairy-tale ending?

KURTZ: Much, much less. It would have been quite sad, and poignant and upbeat at the same time, because they would have won a battle. But the idea of another attack on another Death Star wasn't there at all ... it was a rehash of Star Wars, with better visual effects. And there were no Ewoks ... it was just entirely different. It was much more adult and straightforward, the story. This idea that the roller-coaster ride was all the audience was interested in, and the story doesn't have to be very adult or interesting, seemed to come up because of what happened with Raiders of the Lost Ark and the Indiana Jones films – and the fact that that seemed to make a lot of money and it didn't matter whether there was a really good story or not – that wasn't what this kind of film was about. We had serious differences about a lot of that.

Is that this saga wasn't about Skywalker's at all - from beginning to end apparently this whole series was about Palpatine.

In addition the story elements raced by so quickly there was no time to build any drama, any remorse or anticipation.

C3PO - let's erase his brain because someone was capable of teaching him how to translate Sith but not allowing him to voice the translation without erasing his brain - how does that make any sense? Why give him the ability in the first place? Not one single other person/protocol droid has the ability? Ok let's do it, since we have no choice. Oh wait 20 min later R2D2 has a backup.

Leia dies sending one final message to Kylo to save Rey, which distracts him long enough to stab him but then we see her heal Ren, clumsily set up because she healed a giant snake earlier. But seemingly no ill effects from saving them. So you can heal people no prob but sending a message kills you umm ok.

But hey bringing people back from the dead, wasn't that a major plot point in turning Anakin to the dark side, but hey Kylo can do that too but THAT kills you too.

Chewie throws a fit when he learns Leia is dead but his remorse doesn't seem to match anyone else's reaction so it was just awkward and what about when Han died anyway?

Lightsabers - Luke tosses his lightsaber away when Rey returns it but stops Rey from throwing it into the fire saying it has to be treated with respect. He gives her Leia's lightsaber which she wanted to pass down but Rey buries both at the end. For some reason now she has a yellow lightsaber that we don't know where the fuck it came from but we never learn what Luke did with his green saber.[\end spoiler]

Is that this saga wasn't about Skywalker's at all - from beginning to end apparently this whole series was about Palpatine.

The way I see it all problems were seeds planted in TFA. JJ produces superficial fluff for the masses and it lacks substance almost always. If we consider for a second the Skywalkers still alive in TFA Leia was promoted to a general but JJ did nothing with that. Nothing. She could have been awesome as a commander while being a Jedi. Luke was the object of a McGuffin and didn't do anything so he was ultimately inconsequential. I think because the fans were ok with that shallowness Rian chose and was allowed to continue with them being fairly hollow. Luke wasn't what Luke really was in the original saga and Leia was still fairly meaningless as a character. Now, both of them could have either given the Skywalkers something valuable to do, or just kill them both off in one big battle for example. Imagine the impact if they were a power-duo that were properly used and built up in the first two movies, and then fighting a big battle and at the end of TLJ where they both die, leaving us with the next generation to fight for the good guys.... - OR they could actually have not used the Skywalkers at all.

I think making it about Palpatine was super-clunky. The original was really about Vader, but Luke was the 'vehicle' for propelling it all. But Luke works and Rey doesn't, so Palpatine coming back just reeks of desperation...

So I was more upset about Palpatine returning than the films not being about the Skywalkers. I would have been fine with zero Skywalkers in the new trilogy to be honest.

In addition the story elements raced by so quickly there was no time to build any drama, any remorse or anticipation.

Well, it was shit story telling. The whole thing really felt like everyone involved read the criticism and understood something had to be done, but rather than think about it and create a great movie they just decided to tie up every loose end they found people complaining about. Like, why the hell were the Knights Of Ren even in that movie? Completely meaningless - except for the fact that people were asking questions about who they were and what their role was, so to put them in was to maybe please the fans that were wondering.

And that's how I felt about a very large amount of what's in this movie; it was a bunch of stuff shoved into the movie to just try to address all the questions and loose ends.

Going into TFA I had low expectations because JJ was directing and I know what he's about. He's about "mystery boxes" and he uses them to keep the audience wondering what's next. I don't think that's good story telling though. I watched Lost for a season and a half and realized that it would just keep on going with no guarantee of a satisfying resolution, and that's what I think JJ does: He throws stuff into a story because it sounds or looks good, and then he either answers questions with more questions or doesn't answer at all.

Take all the Palpatine stuff for example - doesn't it just beg a million questions? I think it would have made more sense to just throw out most of the 'questions' in these three films and focus on far fewer things. The Palpatine story could have been its own trilogy really. The dark Sith world could have been thoroughly explored instead of just becoming just another cool visual. The Knights of Ren could also have had their own story developed, or they wouldn't have to be mentioned at all. I just get the feeling JJ thought "The mighty Knights of Ren" sounded cool so he shoved that in there, with no further thought about it, or so it seems.

It's all superficial fluff...

C3PO - let's erase his brain because someone was capable of teaching him how to translate Sith but not allowing him to voice the translation without erasing his brain - how does that make any sense? Why give him the ability in the first place? Not one single other person/protocol droid has the ability? Ok let's do it, since we have no choice. Oh wait 20 min later R2D2 has a backup.

Leia dies sending one final message to Kylo to save Rey, which distracts him long enough to stab him but then we see her heal Ren, clumsily set up because she healed a giant snake earlier. But seemingly no ill effects from saving them. So you can heal people no prob but sending a message kills you umm ok.

Just like the other two sequels it comes off as we're seeing the writers behind the scenes rather than watch a story evolve logically and naturally. In TLJ why have space ships only be able to match speeds? The ships are really made so they run the same speed? Since when is that a thing? And if it is, why not have the bad guys light-speed jump-ahead and wait? Why in TFA did Kylo take Poe up to a ship after learning that he knew what happened to the map and then force-probe his mind on the ship only to have to go down to the planet again? And why do the same to Rey later? It's because the writers needed that to happen so other things could happen, that's why.

But hey bringing people back from the dead, wasn't that a major plot point in turning Anakin to the dark side, but hey Kylo can do that too but THAT kills you too.

This was a major thing for me. I feel they bent or expanded the rules of the force so much that now anything goes. Any future problem can be solved by just throwing in a new force power that was never well set up before. Sure, Anakin was told the dark side of the force could save people from dying, but I always took that as Palpatine fucking with him to get him to cross over, I never thought of that as being true. I mean, now that it is true, and now that they can apparently cross distances and grab physical objects, anything seems to go.

Chewie throws a fit when he learns Leia is dead but his remorse doesn't seem to match anyone else's reaction so it was just awkward and what about when Han died anyway?

JJ is a master of shallow emotions.

The only surprise to me with this trilogy is that each film felt like it exposed different problems to different degrees. TFA was a major soft-remake, lacked originality and was shallow / TLJ was just poorly written throughout and screwed with the mythology of the universe / TRoS was just a mess throughout all the aforementioned reasons....

/rant

Rey had been the love child of Darth Vader and palpatines daughter. I mean wouldn't it have been fairly likely that if Palpatine had a daughter that they would have tried to create a super offspring by combining Skywalker and Palpatine genetics? There has been so much cloning and resurrection they could have even used Vader's DNA to artificially inseminate palpatines daughter. I mean they gave no back story of who the father was anyways. Then the origin of Rey would have made more sense. Palpatines daughter trying to hide Rey from the grasp of two evil men. Then at the conclusion when they ghost luke and Leia, Rey would have been the half sister and her burying the lightsabers and visiting Tatooine would have meant a little more. As it was, wtf did Leia have to do with Tatooine so why bury her lightsaber there?

For some reason now she has a yellow lightsaber that we don't know where the fuck it came from but we never learn what Luke did with his green saber.
I am no scholar when it comes to Star Wars, but isn't theblast step to becoming a Jedi building your own light saber? Wasn't this a subtle way of telling us that Ray completed her training and the Jedis survive?

I enjoyed the film overall, but there were some major plot holes. *Spoilers*

When did Leia become a Jedi? Did I miss all of her training? If she was a Jedi, why did she never fight or even carry the light saber in all 9 movies, the weapon of the Jedi? And why did R2 have to send that urgent message to Ben Kenobi, 'our only hope,' back in IV? She was a fucking Jedi! Has any other living Jedi still involved with the Rebellion (so I'm excluding Luke) ever given up her lightsaber?! I get that she became a Commander/General/whatever, but why give your lightsaber to your brother, to hide under a rock?

Luke is the badass of the universe through IV, V and VI and then we find out he hid on a desolate planet because he was scared? Waitwut? It would have been better to say that he was afraid if himself and giving in to temptation, but Abrams neuters Luke by saying he was scared and just leaving it at that.

And we have this tower that controls an entire fleet. But the Rebels figure it out and plan to destroy it. So the the First Order switches to the command ship for control (uh, what? Doesn't that command ship need the tower for orientation?!), the Rebels just abandon destroying the tower when all it would've taken was one blaster?! Not to worry, though, because when the Rebels switch the attack to the command ship, no one in the First Order thinks to switch control back to the undestroyed tower... And why the fuck wasn't that tower better protected? And better hidden? And why weren't there multiple towers? No one ever heard of redundancy, especially when dealing with such a large fleet?

Then at the conclusion when they ghost luke and Leia, Rey would have been the half sister and her burying the lightsabers and visiting Tatooine would have meant a little more. As it was, wtf did Leia have to do with Tatooine so why bury her lightsaber there?

Why did Rey have to bury Luke's lightsaber there? It was just a convenient reason to get her to Tatooine so she could declare herself a Skywalker and renounce her Palpatine bloodline, even the the whole movie was about not being afraid of who you are (and the whole point of all nine movies was overcoming who you are). So rather than redeeming the Palpatine surname, she switches to Skywalker. Why, so the movie title makes sense?

For that matter, Rise of Palpatine would have been a better title (except that Palpatine was dead), leading the viewer to wonder if the First/Final Order was finally gonna win. Maybe that would have been better if we didn't know this was the last movie. And it would've spoiled the reveal that Rey was a Palpatine, except that you knew that as soon as she shot lightning out of her hands in the first what, half hour?

Most importantly, who would fuck Palpatine?!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom