Staples and felt (1 Viewer)

StackemHigh

Two Pair
Reaction score
minor question:
First-timer and will be using a Porter Cable US58 air stapler to install felt onto 3/4" plywood.
What's the preferred length of staples to use?
1/4", 3/8", or ?
Was thinking 1/4" would be sufficient and be bit easier to remove in the future. Any reason to use 3/8" or longer?

Preferred? Shorter than thickness of the plywood you are using...

I'd go as long as possible if you gun can handle it. 3/8 should be fine. I'd be weary if 1/4 but truth be told, it'll probably hold.

Maybe I'll just let a real builder answer...

My table stuff is at the shop, but from memory:

It seems like I intially started (way back when) with 1/4" staples (electric stapler), and moved to 3/8" when some builds had issues with insufficient penetration (yeah, I know, that's what she said).

Standard felt and rail vinyl should be no problem with 1/4", but some tricky stuff where the hidden vinyl gets folded over (dealer cut-outs, modular rail pieces, etc.) are hard to get through and adequately into the underlying wood with the shorter staples.

I'd guess with the extra power of an air gun (especially with a 'standard' build), 1/4" would be fine.

1/4" are certainly easier to remove when adjusting for wrinkle removal, or if you later remove them all to replace the felt (I usually don't, preferring to just add the new felt on top of the old one in most cases).

I use a pneumatic upholstery stapler. Either 1/4” or 3/8” would be fine. 1/4” are easier to remove when you need to change the felt. If you are using a mechanical staple gun (I never have) 3/8” might be helpful since the gun won’t drive them in as deep as the pneumatic.

This is what I use.

Last edited:
You guys are great-- thanks for all the helpful info! (y) :thumbsup:

And this pneumatic stapler is almost too fun to use. I better be careful :)

Don't be shy with the staples, especially in the rail. I'll use 500-1000 staples for a rail.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom