Stacking Clay Chips in racks? (1 Viewer)

koodah70

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi,
This may have been discussed in a previous thread but I didn't see one:

Clay chips can be deceptively heavy and as we know, pressure over an extended period of time can produce interesting consequence. Does anyone have any concerns with stacking Clay Chips (like Paulsons) in racks that are 3, 4, or 5 high (or more) for long periods of time? Presumably the weight of 100 chips would be spread over the 100 chips below them.

I decided to go with these racks for my ceramics. They can stack like this and they're still protected. I choose to store them vertically, just like they stack on a table.

The pressures under which.compression-molded chips are made are much higher than what you would create in reasonable stacks.

I've stored racks of 100 CPC chips in racks inside bird cages stacked five high for years with no effect.

Going higher would create the greater risk of knocking ovet the stack of racks.

Going on 15 years with my custom ASMs (CPC) stacked 5 high. Have not had one damaged chip.

I've seen pictures of WSOP chips stored in racks 10-13 racks high. I think it is safe to assume that since these chips are only used for 3 months and then stored for 9 months, that no ill effect would come from tall stacks in a temperature controlled environment. Eventually, any "slop" in the racks is going to be a greater concern at height, as well as the structure the chips are sitting on (the PSI is very great because there is very little rack to surface contact).

I would think that if you imagine stacking single chips 3, 4, or 5 high, you wouldn't consider it an issue. In a very real sense, that's all you're talking about. In racks, it's just doing this 100 at a time.

5 high you say? Ppfftt. :D

View attachment 253453
first 30 seconds after seeing this pic:

My first thought was "WOW".
My second thought was "I want that too"
My third thought was "This guy must have lots of money!"
My fourth thought was "He's got a serious 'Moar Chips!' problem (I mean more serious than mine and most of ours)"
My fifth thought was "This is clearly a vendor's warehouse or something"
My sixth thought was "I'm an idiot, i thought this was in @72o 's basement or something? yes, i'm an idiot"

Keep 'em tight and cool, and you'll have no issues stacking up to at least 20 high.

A combonation of heat and loose fit will almost certainly cause serious problems, even with just two stacked racks. Softened material under pressure with room to deform will do so.

I like the matsui racks as they have little dimples on bottom that lock into next rack, great for storing!! And no pressure on bottom rack as the actual racks take the weight not the clay

If using the 'standard' racks that stack on the barrels below, the weight is being distributed over 100 chips (assuming of course all are equal diameter). So when stacking full racks, each chip below is bearing the chip above + 1/100 the mass of the rack. That pic from @72o shows 13 high. The bottom chip of your vertical barrels at the table are at risk!

Need to amend my previous statement: surface area of a 39mm chip is ~1194mm^2. The area of chip contact in a rack is <214mm^2, roughly 5.5 times less than the face. Ergo, my barrel theorem is erroneous.

But I do encourage all to stack ‘em high!

Need to amend my previous statement: surface area of a 39mm chip is ~1194mm^2. The area of chip contact in a rack is <214mm^2, roughly 5.5 times less than the face. Ergo, my barrel theorem is erroneous.

But I do encourage all to stack ‘em high!
I was going to point out your error, but thought you might have just been trolling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom