SSD Drives for PS5, hold off or buy now? (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Per the title.

I'm looking to buy an SSD drive to expand my PS5 storage. I have an $80 gift card from last Christmas (lol) for Best Buy and figured I'd put it towards one.

I'm looking at getting the WD SN850 linked below, as with reading around at Best Buy, seems to be the most reliable options out there. It's $229.99 right now at Best Buy, whereas everywhere else it's $249.99.

Do I buy now before holiday shopping gets into full swing, or do you think that the price will be slashed a bit further Black Friday weekend and before the end of the year? I appreciate any thoughts either way!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-wd_...0XHvFHnaeaox45cX-f4aArgtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Does the PS5 only take that form factor or can you use a 2.5" SSD ?

Does the PS5 only take that form factor or can you use a 2.5" SSD ?
I'm not sure, but I'd rather stick with something that is known to work for the time being. Sony only updated their software to allow for the supplemental drive just a few weeks ago. I'd also rather buy a model with a heatsink already included, just because I'm not super savvy with building PC's and the like.

Gotcha. I have a few 2.5" SSDs (smaller capacity) just sitting around.

Honestly, what makes this drive worth $230 while the exact same size Crucial P2 costs $84?

Screenshot_20211103-174207.png

I get it, your model has a heat sink, but heat sinks are cheap. I think you may be wasting money here.

Honestly, what makes this drive worth $230 while the exact same size Crucial P2 costs $84?

View attachment 805176
I get it, your model has a heat sink, but heat sinks are cheap. I think you may be wasting money here.

Might be the type of cells used. (SLC, MLC, TLC, and QLC)

Did some quick looking around and they recommend drives that have speeds of 5500 or greater for the PS5. That upper end performance will definitely come with a premium. None of my laptops are that fast so I haven't had to look into it. No idea where the prices of SSD drives are trending, but if you find yourself being short on space, I would just do it for the sake of enjoying the games more without having to manage free space :)

It may be worthwhile to wait and see what black Friday or cyber Monday deals come around

Big difference I see is the speed of max read and write. 7000 vs 2400
Exactly my point. How fast can a PS5 read and write? That speed difference matters if you are running a network server, but this is a video game console. How fast can it read and write?

Did some quick looking around and they recommend drives that have speeds of 5500 or greater for the PS5. That upper end performance will definitely come with a premium. None of my laptops are that fast so I haven't had to look into it. No idea where the prices of SSD drives are trending, but if you find yourself being short on space, I would just do it for the sake of enjoying the games more without having to manage free space :)
Seeing as how a PS5 has a Ryzen processor at 3.5Ghz, it ain't reading or writing at 5500. This just stinks of more "buy my stuff it's better" when a normal human can't tell the difference.

Another thing to consider here. A Google search told me thatthe stock drive is 825gigs. Is 1TB even worth it? Maybe hold out for a 2TB to drop in price.

https://www.psu.com/news/the-worst-specd-nvme-ssd-that-works-on-ps5-is-comparable-to-the-best-one/

differences in read and write speeds are more noticeable when copying games to the SSD. In gameplay, differences are largely unnoticeable.

DYOR. YMMV.
Finally! Someone who gets it!

This is the problem with electronics in general. Everyone tries to hammer home how people need the fasting thing available because of it "theoretical" speeds. In the real world those speeds will never be achieved, but the empty hole in your wallet where money used to be is something tangible.

Finally! Someone who gets it!

This is the problem with electronics in general. Everyone tries to hammer home how people need the fasting thing available because of it "theoretical" speeds. In the real world those speeds will never be achieved, but the empty hole in your wallet where money used to be is something tangible.
Its the always the challenge trying to find the sweet spot with everything in life, like with poker chip collecting!

An interesting article on the topic
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22608153/ps5-ssd-speed-test-storage-expansion-m2-playstation-5

Not sure if a gen4 drive is really needed, but that seems to be what they focused on. Doesn't really say why Sony suggests 5500 or greater speeds but does speculate at some future potential instant game worlds. I'm not sure what that is but I guess they intend for the worlds to load as quickly as possible when you move around so possibly more than you need now to future proof? The last Playstation I got was the PS3 and my days of any serious gaming are pretty far behind me. Even then I was mostly on PC.

I get what you mean though about not always needing to get the most premium components. I remember back when they were using SD cards to store saved game content and anything labeled as "gaming" was 30% more then the non-gaming component even if the specs were inferior lol

$199.99 for a couple more days at Best Buy. I think I'm going to scoop one at that price. I don't see this going any lower.

And yes, I think the premium on this particular drive as has been mentioned is the reading and writing speeds. I'm sure that games would play just fine with a cheaper SSD, but I'm just going by what the manufacturer recommends for now and don't want to get frisky. I'm going to need the extra drive space with Battlefield coming out and still playing Call of Duty once in a while. Those two games are going to probably take up half of the internal SSD at the end of the day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom