Spongebob Chips - First Drafts (1 Viewer)

TheLemursReturn

3 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
The latest:

spongebob-i2.png

None of these are even remotely final. This is just me fooling around to see what works and what flops.

I'm not a great designer. My plan here is to just take my sweet old time, learn the design tools, and iterate a crapton.

Would love to hear what you like and what you hate. I can handle criticism. If you need to eviscerate me with words, go for it.

spongebob-1.png
spongebob-2.png
spongebob-3.png
spongebob-i1.png

The center one has some themes stolen from the Mario set, of course.

Last edited:
I like how 'flat' the third one is

I like how 'flat' the third one is

You know... I spent so much time trying to get "dimension" into the first few passes. And eventually, I had the same thought.... that flat might have something going for it.

I'm also planning some other chips that might work better flat. Will keep the idea in mind.

Just added a 4th option. I don't love the darker yellow color, so I tried to reduce it here.

spongebob-i1.png

I like #2 myself. Will follow a theme if you expand with the other characters. Also a spot to put the denom is a bit easier with #2

Physically yes, but from a money stand point how can anyone be on the highest denomination other than the keeper of the Krabby Patty secret formuler?
Mmm the only other person I could think of is Squilliam Fancyson.... he would look good on a a high denom plaque...

This is my latest and probably my favorite so far.

spongebob-i2.png

But now here's a real question/discussion point.... how do I do the denom? I tried a couple things (above his face, below, both, in the edge spots) and they all clashed real hard.

Honestly, I'm tempted to skip the denoms since I'm sure it will be tough for all my chips like this. And none of my groups have ever had any trouble with our current non-denominated chips. Not even the senior citizens...

Very interested in thoughts.

This is my latest and probably my favorite so far.

View attachment 1005284

But now here's a real question/discussion point.... how do I do the denom? I tried a couple things (above his face, below, both, in the edge spots) and they all clashed real hard.

Honestly, I'm tempted to skip the denoms since I'm sure it will be tough for all my chips like this. And none of my groups have ever had any trouble with our current non-denominated chips. Not even the senior citizens...

Very interested in thoughts.

I've never been a fan of the show. I think this adds context to:
I think the art is great, but the image you previously posted is significantly more iconic and recognizable. (more on this later)
1665672072830.png
the large holes on the side will make for great edge marks! which I think is intentional but wanted to point out

I think you should first flush out a base chip color for each denom, and have an idea on bank / chip count. Things change over time but it really helps from cornering you into a chip you don't feel fits the line up.

What size game and type of game do you intend to primary run? .25/.5 NLH?

Because the base is yellow, it would make a great $5 or $20 in a cash game or a 1k / 5k in a tourney (I am quite bias for a Cali line up, also I very much dislike a red chip)

I would strongly urge you to denom your chip, that said I have some more ideals.
1) you can denom on the side of the chip (ceramics)

You can see my non denom in my sig, but my Icarus set, I skipped the denom on the $5 and it works out.

You should create 85 - 95 % of the chips with the first image with the signature look of spongebob, and 15-5% with the second / fav image.

I think the art is great, but the image you previously posted is significantly more iconic and recognizable.
This is incredible feedback. Those are the exact descriptors I've been aiming for, so I think I'll revert to the original/basic face.

I liked the new one because it kinda looks like a nervous/bluffing face. But "recognizable" is more important.

I think you should first flush out a base chip color for each denom, and have an idea on bank / chip count. Things change over time but it really helps from cornering you into a chip you don't feel fits the line up.

What size game and type of game do you intend to primary run? .25/.5 NLH?

Because the base is yellow, it would make a great $5 or $20 in a cash game or a 1k / 5k in a tourney (I am quite bias for a Cali line up, also I very much dislike a red chip)
I should have clarified that I already have the denoms worked out. This will be a fairly basic tourney setup with green/black/pink/yellow/orange for 25/100/500/1000/5000. The challenge is trying to fit the numbers into the graphics.

1) you can denom on the side of the chip (ceramics)
Extremely good idea here. Keep the main graphics clean and still have the numbers available. THANK YOU!

You should create 85 - 95 % of the chips with the first image with the signature look of spongebob, and 15-5% with the second / fav image.
Are you suggesting multiple variations in play at the same time? As long as they're all clearly yellow and clearly Spongebob, I absolutely love this idea too.

You've already made my set 1000x better in a matter of minutes.

Are you suggesting multiple variations in play at the same time? As long as they're all clearly yellow and clearly Spongebob, I absolutely love this idea too.
Yes!

The challenge is trying to fit the numbers into the graphics.
I would think for Pink you might do the Crab, and one example might be a small 'Crab Cake' with the Denom set over it, and again, you can put them on the EDGE of the ceramic chip as well, the side

Don't discount a plaque for a 25k, more room for art ;)

I've actually been planning a different character/icon for each color. I've been making individual threads for each chip as I experiment, but I think I finally have the main 5 chips ready enough to start a thread for the full set. I'll do that now and see you over there shortly. I really, really, really appreciate your thoughts so far.

Different design front and back. No denom on one side and bikini bottom theme with denom on the other!
Plankton .25c
SB $1
Pink 5 or red 5 Patrick or mr crabs
Just throwing out suggestions
Shit you still have squidward sandy
Gonna need a 5c or $500 to get them all.

Different design front and back. No denom on one side and bikini bottom theme with denom on the other!
Plankton .25c
SB $1
Pink 5 or red 5 Patrick or mr crabs
Just throwing out suggestions
Shit you still have squidward sandy
Gonna need a 5c or $500 to get them all.
Wow... different but consistent art on the backside with room for denom. Genius. This may be the way to go with my current build.

And I can plan to reuse the Spongebob design to build out a strictly-Spongebob set one day too.

Love your ideas. Plankton might have to be 5c. I need nickels with my poor-man stakes.

You could always do a rebuy chip using doodlebob…the episode where he makes endless copies of himself :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

926ADCD3-DFCD-4E7E-BC4A-CEBB9DF9B245.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom