Splat Chips - beginning of concept design (1 Viewer)

Pinesol13

Flush
Reaction score
This idea popped into my head today. With all the Cards Mold group buys going on, I've been reading through a lot of ceramic chip threads. A lot of very wise people on here have expressed that ceramic chips should take full advantage of being able to customize the entire face, and that they should not try to replicate clay chips with edge spots.

I haven't figured out how to do the edges of the chips perfectly, but I'm working on it. This is a quick concept I threw together.

Thoughts? Super Ugly, or Super Cool?

splat-3.png

Very interesting idea! Don't make the denom too small. What would you do with the rolling edge?

I'm trying to make the "splats" roll over the edge and match up with the other side. I know that in this mockup it wouldn't exactly work, but it's just a first draft.

And for the denom, I'm trying to find a font that works better with the theme, that one is just a placeholder

I really like the art, perfect for a ceramic. I wonder if it would look better with a logo of sorts...maybe a stylized word "Splat" then the denomination?
For the edges, what about just continuing the art around? You would incur a cost for aligned edges, but it may be worth it!
splat chip.jpg

I really like the art, perfect for a ceramic. I wonder if it would look better with a logo of sorts...maybe a stylized word "Splat" then the denomination?
For the edges, what about just continuing the art around? You would incur a cost for aligned edges, but it may be worth it!
View attachment 635898

YES! That's exactly what I was thinking of!

I'm still an amateur with Illustrator, been trying to figure out how to do that!

I just did the mockup in Photoshop. Im not sure the requirements for artwork and rolling edges. It's likely a separate piece of art, that you'll need to set up EXACTLY so that it hits the right spots as it goes around the edge. Maybe reach out to your ceramic vendor for help. If youre thinking @BR Pro Poker , they're very helpful.

I normally don't like it when ceramics are designed to imitate clay chips but this is really cool... looks like the edgespots exploded.

I normally don't like it when ceramics are designed to imitate clay chips but this is really cool... looks like the edgespots exploded.

Exactly. I have several custom ceramics on the way, and they all have traditional edgespots (which I like).

But I do agree with the idea that the fully custom capability of ceramics should be fully utilized. This is kinda a combination of both.

I’m into it! Especially with the aligned edges. Following to see more creative work on this idea.

This idea popped into my head today. With all the Cards Mold group buys going on, I've been reading through a lot of ceramic chip threads. A lot of very wise people on here have expressed that ceramic chips should take full advantage of being able to customize the entire face, and that they should not try to replicate clay chips with edge spots.

I haven't figured out how to do the edges of the chips perfectly, but I'm working on it. This is a quick concept I threw together.

View attachment 635891
Really interested to see what a set looks like

Just another person jumping in to say I love the idea! So unique!!

People often don’t really take advantage of the full possibilities of ceramics, but this looks like a great chance to do so. Fantastic!

View attachment 635891
nice contemporary chip !

Not for me, but I do like the new idea. Very original! Will look cool

Very cool. With all the action on the face of the chip, I’d consider a larger denom in a different, solid font. It might help brains and eyes focus more quickly on the vital information. Eventually, it will be second nature, but it might help new players more quickly acclimate, leading to a better time.

It looks very 80's to me. I don't love it personally, but I love the outside the box thinking.
Anyone else remember that Gotcha! "splat blaster" craze in the 80s? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I remember running around in my backyard for hours firing paintballs at friends (accurate to up to 2 feet I think LOL). There was a movie to go along with it too.

1613482144976.png

All that aside, I actually think it makes for a really cool looking chip. It may get a tad busy across the set but intrigued by that first mock. Just make sure there is enough base color per chip to keep the chips distinguishable in a pot. :tup:

I think it’s a fun, unique design. Looking forward to seeing more of the idea come together.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom