Trade Spicy Mustard! (trade or buy) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
DA72A03C-B7AF-4DA3-A33E-0133B999AEF9.jpeg

GOAL: To assemble two matching racks of any of the following mustard-base chips:

CDI ’98 1000
FLV $1000
— Gardena $10s
— Appleton $1s
CDM 5s

I’m open to trading or buying to get there.

I already have a rack of the CDM5s, and a rack of the Steve Appletons. They are an almost perfect match, but the green spot colors turn out to be slightly different which triggers my chipper OCD. Apparently there is only one rack of the SfSA’s in existence.

Below is a visual of the spots on these four chips. It is hard to know to what extent oiling, wear, and batches account for the spot variations, but it appears that my FLV sample is closer to the Appletons, and the CDI ’98s are more like the CDM 5s:

DC104BBE-81C5-425D-9F3D-B02A24415969.jpeg

L-R: CDI, FLV, SfSA, CDM

So again, whether by trade or purchase, I would like to get to two closely-matching racks.

In addition to the racks mentioned here, I have some other possible trade material.

Last edited:
If you'd sell any of your extras that don't match your project, I'm your huckleberry. Good luck!

I may just have to bite the bullet and live with the spot difference. My regs won’t notice, only I will. But holding out hope.

Additional trade bait includes two racks of Venetian 2s, which were my original plan for this set.

I may just have to bite the bullet and live with the spot difference. My regs won’t notice, only I will. But holding out hope.

Additional trade bait includes two racks of Venetian 2s, which were my original plan for this set.
I've seen an iteration of these chips in the classifieds for sale exactly once since I acquired the 120 for my CDI tournament set over a year ago. They're out there but no one wants to sell...

I also would be open to ideas of other spotted THC chips which I could use in this non-traditional cash color scheme:

AF6D3B1D-AFA4-4B68-8EDC-BA9158BEF425.jpeg
997570B3-7C9A-411B-93AF-587641CF9AA7.png

Def want two racks of... Something. If I could get enough yellow Auroras, those could become the 5s, and the browns could be 20s.

Ah right! I forgot the Gardenas have another mustard match. Those could work, too.
Unless you have Kifer mill them, the shaped inlays may be a problem unless you plan on putting Gear labels with that shape on the chip.

Definitely some milling is going to be involved, some inlay replacement, and maybe some overlabels.

Now you all have got me thinking… I have 300 of the Butterscotches. They are minty, and I have other options for fracs. A solid $5 was not what I’d planned, but I could live with that for a while. Make the brown ASes $20s. Hold off with the yellows until/unless I can get more (pricey). Stick with the rest. At least I could bet going on some of the work.

Yeah. not sure how I would feel about a brown frac and a mustard $5 if you go that route. Any yellow THC for a $5 will be pricey and the mustard chips don't jive well as $20's or $25's if I'm understanding what you're looking to do correctly.

I like the mustards as $25s… It has green undertones, plus the green spots, and I plan to use more green in the label. Going for an overall fall harvest theme.

These would be used in my regular cash game, so players would have plenty of time to get used to the colors. We don’t bring in new players often.

Also the reality is we seldom if ever use fracs. I just had those minty Butterscotches sitting around, and thought they would be a nice addition in case I ever hosted lower stakes, or needed them for some other odd situations. But they are not actually likely to get in play unless I bump up the denom. Maybe it would be more useful as a snapper, but there too we don’t really play games requiring snappers.

I dunno. If I could just get one more matching rack I’d be set.

Possibly. I tried a light cleaning on the CDMs, thinking that was the main cause of the edgespot color problem. Wasn’t too aggressive with the cleaning, but I became quickly convinced they just aren’t the same green spot.

The Appletons seem almost unused, so you’re right, some tarnishing over time might merge the colors to virtually indistinguishable.

Also, once I realized it is the only rack of those, I became less keen to mess with them. Right now no one seems to want to reunite that set (I guess Josh tried) but it seems kind of a shame to kill the possibility. I’d probably overlabel them to preserve the original, but that would add to the subtle mismatch. Ugh.

I recently bought a single Gardena $10 chip, and the green spot looks closer to the Appletons than the others (lighter, more saturated). Might be a fluke.

Anyway, still looking to acquire barrels or racks of any of these. Buy or trade.

Based on my samples, I would say the CDMs and CDI98s are a close match, with a darker forest green spot; while the FLVs, Gardenas and Appletons match up better together, with a slightly brighter, more Kelly greenish tint.

But as before, this might be in part due to wear/grime.

Trying again... If I could get one more rack of any of these variations, I would be able to proceed with my THC custom set. Need a miracle here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom