Speed cloth with elastic on a round table (2 Viewers)

Fleming

Straight
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to use elastic to keep suited speed cloth around the edge of a table?

Some context: I have a round table that's both a dining room table and my poker table. In the past I used Velcro patches on the cloth and under the edge of the table, to secure the cloth.

My table is out being refinished right now, and I thought I might explore some other options that I can try out when it's back in a few weeks.

So I'm thinking some speed cloth, careful measurements, elastic, and some trial and error and it might just work.

Any thoughts?

Speed cloth is typically too thick/inflexible to smoothly conform to curves and edges. A thinner polyester/nylon material might work (or even gaming suede cloth), but not speed cloth.

Wasn't there someone here offering SSC poker hoodies at one stage?

Speed cloth is typically too thick/inflexible to smoothly conform to curves and edges. A thinner polyester/nylon material might work (or even gaming suede cloth), but not speed cloth.

Good point thanks. I'll look into that.

Let me know how you go with the suede,

I am looking to mod my desk at work to look like a poker table(I work in a corporate office, they would totally be ok with it)
But I want it to look good.

Please keep us updated?

Our 10-seat oval table is covered in speedcloth in a "hoodie" style that I made. I would not recommend elastic, because you need to be able to ensure it is flat and tight. Therefore, I created a channel at the edge of the fabric and inserted a drawstring. When we setup the table, PZ goes under it to pull the drawstring tight and connected across the middle.

I use these when I take a table to the cigar shop and they work great:

http://pokerhoody.com/

What size is the table?

+1 to Hot Nuts

I used this as my very first felt for my dining table, and it worked great. My table didn't fit their standard sizes, so I emailed them and they did a custom size for me.

It worked great for my needs at the time, and I still have it!

I'll give pokerhoody a shot. Thanks for the suggestions!

Our 10-seat oval table is covered in speedcloth in a "hoodie" style that I made. I would not recommend elastic, because you need to be able to ensure it is flat and tight. Therefore, I created a channel at the edge of the fabric and inserted a drawstring. When we setup the table, PZ goes under it to pull the drawstring tight and connected across the middle.

Neat idea. I'll see how the the hoody works and maybe give this a shot depending on how it goes.

What size is your table?

I ask because I had a poker hoody:

SM RND DLX - $49.95

Fits 32"- 48" Tables*

and a 48" table, but it just wouldn't quite fit because the table's edge was too thick. I had to get a medium. Won the small one on eBay for $.01 and gave it to a friend.

Thread revival!
Question1: So, with a tightening drawstring rather than elastic, a good (US) quality speed cloth fits properly a dining table? I 've read @upNdown in another thread mention that real speed cloth is much more flexible (like a fabric) than its Chinese immitation.

Question2: The only US vendor accepting international credit/debit cards that I found (AND clearly stating "Manufactured in the US" about the product) is Texas Poker Supply. Missing something?
http://texaspokersupply.com/products/build-a-table/suited-speed-cloth/
i.e. Is the Chanman firm selling spare speed cloths?

Question 3: Searching for a dark color with low contrast. "Pine Green" is low contrast but rather light, "Jackpot" and Mini Jackpot darker but rather high contrast which might be tiresome for the eye. I 've seen at Chanman's a clearly darker Forest Green.
Any experience with those greens?

If in doubt, I 'll have to opt for black - just can't experiment with colors from thousands of miles away.

Shipping : I 've got a friend flying here soon from the US - swift help most appreciated.:)

i.e. Is the Chanman firm selling spare speed cloths?

Question 3: Searching for a dark color with low contrast. "Pine Green" is low contrast but rather light, "Jackpot" and Mini Jackpot darker but rather high contrast which might be tiresome for the eye. I 've seen at Chanman's a clearly darker Forest Green.
Any experience with those greens?

If in doubt, I 'll have to opt for black - just can't experiment with colors from thousands of miles away.

Shipping : I 've got a friend flying here soon from the US - swift help most appreciated.:)

Yes I still have spare speed cloths, however none of them would be big enough to cover an entire table unless it's just a racetrack table with a small center playing surface.

Gaming suede's the best. Those are custom printed though, so they do cost more but they are the nuts. They're printed any color and design and up to 61" wide.

And I ship globally and take any payment from any country.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Many thanks to all of you guys!
I 'll do my homework.
Btw, flying friends are invaluable for Europeans interested in North American goods - many of them (goods) taxed upon import somewhere between hard liquor and heroin :LOL: :laugh:

I just recovered my 10person table with the suited speed cloth in black/grey. When I first unboxed it I was disappointed because it was stiff and nasty! But for $30 I though Lt I’d stretch it and see. I pulled the rail and put it right over top the old felt and pad and it’s awesome!
My dealer and the players I host love it.

I'm looking at trying out this poker table topper solution for my rather large 9' x 4' rectangular dining room table. The topper would only be used a few hours for a game that might occur once every month or two. Was looking at getting 1/4 inch foam and speed cloth. I was thinking elastic as well before coming across this thread. I see a lot of time has passed since this thread started. What has people's experience been with installing a drawstring. Also, does anyone have instructions for how to get that done??

Has anyone ever tried to use elastic to keep suited speed cloth around the edge of a table?

Some context: I have a round table that's both a dining room table and my poker table. In the past I used Velcro patches on the cloth and under the edge of the table, to secure the cloth.

My table is out being refinished right now, and I thought I might explore some other options that I can try out when it's back in a few weeks.

So I'm thinking some speed cloth, careful measurements, elastic, and some trial and error and it might just work.

Any thoughts?

Yes. I supplied suited speed cloth to a buddy several years ago and his significant other sewed in a parachute cord around the perimeter. The cloth was large enough to drape over the edge plus about another inch or so that had the cord installed. You could then pull both ends of the cord tight and tie it off under the table. He also had a 60" round piece of 1/4" Volara foam that he placed on the top of the table before the cloth was installed. The idea was the cloth and foam could be removable so he could use the table for other purposes. This was for a 60" round similar to this one that they sell at Sams.

Worked pretty well.

Yes. I supplied suited speed cloth to a buddy several years ago and his significant other sewed in a parachute cord around the perimeter. The cloth was large enough to drape over the edge plus about another inch or so that had the cord installed. You could then pull both ends of the cord tight and tie it off under the table. He also had a 60" round piece of 1/4" Volara foam that he placed on the top of the table before the cloth was installed. The idea was the cloth and foam could be removable so he could use the table for other purposes. This was for a 60" round similar to this one that they sell at Sams.

Worked pretty well.

If you ever get the chance to snap a picture I'd love to see that, I've thought about doing the same but was always afraid the SSC would be too stiff and would wrinkle at the edges once you pulled the draw string.

Does creating a drawstring require sewing, or could fabric glue do the work needed on the speed cloth?

Personally I would try and find a large foam sheet and glue speedcloth to it to make a topper. No messing with draw strings and can be rolled and shoved in a corner (or under the bed). I have a large 8-seater square dining table that I was going to do this for but I built my poker table and it became redundant.

If you ever get the chance to snap a picture I'd love to see that, I've thought about doing the same but was always afraid the SSC would be too stiff and would wrinkle at the edges once you pulled the draw string.

Too late. I wound up permanently installing it a couple years later as he wasn’t ever using the table for any other purpose other than poker.

SSC not too stiff. Worked very well actually. A few wrinkles around the outside edge but not bad. The Lifetime table edge was about 1 1/2 in deep.

Personally I would try and find a large foam sheet and glue speedcloth to it to make a topper. No messing with draw strings and can be rolled and shoved in a corner (or under the bed). I have a large 8-seater square dining table that I was going to do this for but I built my poker table and it became redundant.
I dont think that would work.

2 different materials being rolled together means that one material (let's say the foam) is rolled outside the speedcloth. Each orbis as you roll it, the foam needs to be rolled faster (greater distance) in order to keep up with the speedcloth. This will result in the the speedcloth bunching up as it is slowed down by the glue to match the foam.

Here's a pic of our speedcloth pulled tight with a drawstring. No wrinkles. We top it with a rail, because rails are good, but this is a pic without the rail.

Any bunching takes place under the table, out of sight, and pulled tight is well above the player's knees/legs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom