speed cloth manufacturer question.. (1 Viewer)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
So the nicer weather means it's time to get the garage ready for another table build. Rather than a felt I am going to try speed cloth. I was sourcing stuff here and there and was about to pull the trigger on a brybelly but noticed in a few places at about half the cost some Trademark products. I did read however that trademark suited speed cloth is garbage.

Does anybody have any experience or advice?

Cheers!

Brybelly/Trademark has a couple different kinds of speed cloth. I've used the red and blue version of the "two-tone" cloth and been very happy. Super water proof, doesn't seem to pill or have fingernail marks. They haven't been used heavily though, so long term wear is uncertain. Here's their listing, it only comes in red, green or blue. https://www.brybelly.com/products.php?categoryId=1122

Here's an amazon.ca listing for the blue: http://www.amazon.ca/Brybelly-secti...F8&qid=1426997611&sr=8-5&keywords=speed+cloth

If I were doing another low end table, I'd go with brybelly for sure. If it was a high end, a custom cloth from tchan would be my move. You have any specific links you're looking at? I'd mail some swatches, but postage to Canada might be too steep to be worth it.

I wouldn't use any other SSC except the SSC from YAT. You get the cheaper chinese stuff and it'll get marks in it. I believe there is a code like scottkeen or something to get 15% off I think?

Recently bought some from Your auto trim for a side table... good stuff. Not sure of the brybelly quality but I have been told to beware of the cheaper ssc since it doesn't last very long and is waterproof for only a couple spills.

I wouldn't use any other SSC except the SSC from YAT. You get the cheaper chinese stuff and it'll get marks in it. I believe there is a code like scottkeen or something to get 15% off I think?

Me either. Last time I ordered, it was about $60 shipped. Just not worth the minimal amount of money I might save to risk getting an inferior product from somebody else.

The scottkeen code still works for 15% off total order.
http://www.yourautotrim.com/capraucl.html

The ONLY other SSC choice I might make would be a custom-dye job by tchan on the white ssc he supplies. His custom gaming suede is top notch stuff, too.

Me either. Last time I ordered, it was about $60 shipped. Just not worth the minimal amount of money I might save to risk getting an inferior product from somebody else.

This is something I'm a bit concerned about. Since I built my last table a few years ago, YAT shipping [to Australia] has more than doubled. I decided to look locally for the foams since they take up a lot of space but even for the vinyl and SSC it's over $120 in shipping. I can probably source something locally for the vinyl but what chance have I got of getting USA-milled SSC?

To make it more annoying the Aussie dollar, at or above parity for a couple of years, took a massive nosedive in 2013 and hasn't recovered, meaning I get hit with a 33% shrimp-on-the-barbie tax. AU$160 to ship two pieces of folded up fabric... it's a deadset rort.

The code worked for me three weeks ago... Thanks!

So... anybody going on vacation or business to Australia, any time soon?
If it gets any more expensive then I may as well come and pick it up. Subsidised holiday.

Update: I emailed YAT and asked if there was a more cost-effective way to ship two pieces of fabric (like, maybe I buy them a seat each on a people smuggling boat?) and they said to tell them exactly what I want and they'll review the shipping.

I have no issue paying a premium for a quality product but on principle I can't bring myself to pay 150% for shipping. US$175 of gear from YAT was going to cost me over AU$600 after shipping and currency conversion.

Yes that shipping seems excessive. Maybe we should see how many felts chan can fit in a medium flat rate box and start an aussie group buy.

I'm actually going to be on holidays in Australia and New Zealand in May...

Be careful, you're going to have a 3rd checked bag full of gaming suede before you know it...
No need for extra bags... he can just wear my cloth as a cape. Free shipping! Haha honestly I wouldn't let my shipping gripes burden someone's international holiday. Enjoy our wonderful hemisphere Chanman!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom