South Shore Country Club - CPC HHR Cash Set (1 Viewer)

DuffCal

3 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
So I have started down the road for my second CPC set to go with my Irish Guys Poker Club CPC set I got about two years ago. I have just finalized the artwork and the chip design now waiting for CPC to run their HHR mold. I was told it might not run for eight months... so that is a bit of a bummer. I am sure I won't stare at the chip design over the next eight months or ask @BearMetal if I should change anything. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to @BearMetal for all the help and guidance with this project. I couldn't have this project without ya! :tup:

presentation 2.png

What is South Shore Country Club, and why?
South Shore Country Club was a high-end private club founded in 1905 in Chicago on Lake Michigan. It had stables, a nine-hole golf course, tennis courts, and a private beach. Both of my grandfathers were members, and my parents also grew up there, so it is a very special place for my family and me. It is also no longer a private club and is now owned by the City of Chicago and called the South Shore Cultural Center. So I thought making a CPC set would be a cool way to keep the history of SSCC alive and I love the logo.

Design Inspiration
Since the club was founded such a long time ago I thought to be cool for a retro/underground CPC design. I used the original logo for South Shore Country Club from an old matchbook as the inspiration for the design of the front inlay. The back inlay has the denomination in a TRK-style font that @BearMetal was kind enough to allow me to use and slightly tweak to my liking.

match book 1.jpg

Chip Design
Final Design_SSCC.png

Last edited:
The absolute best CPC sets are those that have a really deep meaning to the owner. When you first described your family's connection to the SSCC, I thought it was a fantastic idea for a set!

I had thought that at first, with the theme being an "underground" style, that it would be easier to iterate on the final artwork and design. But it actually was a lot harder! We kept looking at it saying that something is too "perfect" about it and it needs to be... More underground-y!

Also, with every chip having a different, jaunty single edge spot, I think this is going to be a really fun set to play with!

Now it's just the wait for HHR to run...

Nice inlay. The SSCC on the reverse in the black ribbon stands out a bit too much for me. Have you considered the text in black with the outline of the ribbon or maybe adding the Chicago, IL in a ribbon too? May help balance it out a bit.

The inlay is fabulous and the color choices great.
What kills me (but it's not my set) is the assymetry of a single edge spot.
If you made the edge spots two per chip, and hence symmetrical, I 'd be on board. Again, I forgot it's not my set. :)

Nice inlay. The SSCC on the reverse in the black ribbon stands out a bit too much for me. Have you considered the text in black with the outline of the ribbon or maybe adding the Chicago, IL in a ribbon too? May help balance it out a bit.
This goal of the 'ribbon' on the back was inspired by the original main entrance sign (image below). This was a very unique sign to the club and still is above the front entrance to this day but now reads 'South Shore Cultural Center'

Its an interesting idea to use it on the the bottom with 'Chicago, IL' but just not sure how it will look arching upwards but I will explore it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Original Entrance
SSCC_entrance.jpg

entrance.png

Current Entrance
South_Shore_Cultural_Center_Gate.jpg

The inlay is fabulous and the color choices great.
What kills me (but it's not my set) is the assymetry of a single edge spot.
If you made the edge spots two per chip, and hence symmetrical, I 'd be on board. Again, I forgot it's not my set. :)
Thanks!

I have always loved chips that had single edge spots. Ever since I saw the Flamingo $1 chip with the single edge spot I have been hooked. I wanted this set to be unique and I felt that that the single edge spot on the $1, $5, $20 and the $100 accomplished that and also gave it underground feel.

Why not?! :)

I do not have a solid CPC in my other set and have always wanted one so I thought this set would be a good fit for a solid color retro style 25c chip.
While I’m a firm believer of “why not?” I would probably skip the 50¢ also. Kind of a waste of a denom/chip IMO.
I would scrap the 50¢ and make it a 5¢ just to have the option of a super micro stake set

While I’m a firm believer of “why not?” I would probably skip the 50¢ also. Kind of a waste of a denom/chip IMO.
I would scrap the 50¢ and make it a 5¢ just to have the option of a super micro stake set
I would never have a game that would have a need for a 5c chip. My typical game is 1/2 or 2/5 with a rare .50c/1 game. So the .50c chip will not be a waste when we run that game. The .25c is more just for show and will look sharp in my display/storage case. Also I have always wanted a solid color CPC chip and felt this was a good set for it. Who knows maybe someday we will run a .25/.50 cent game but that is unlikely. Just want to be prepared if that's the case. :p

Last edited:
Would you want to use a $1 and $2 chip to play 1/2?
No, don't want a $2 chip for this set right now. If its something I feel that I want to add I can always create a new chip and place an add-on order.

No, don't want a $2 chip for this set right now. If its something I feel that I want to add I can always create a new chip and place an add-on order.
Exactly my point. You would also not want to play a $.25-$.50 game with both either but MOAR chips I guess

Exactly my point. You would also not want to play a $.25-$.50 game with both either but MOAR chips I guess
I will most likely never use the .25c. They will just sit in racks in my display case. I just want to have them, as I said before. I have always wanted a solid color CPC chip in a set, and I wanted to do it with this set. I also want to have both the .25c and the .50 chips because if we play blackjack, I will use the .50c, not the .25. Think of it as the .25c will be in play if I ever play a .25/.50 game, and the .50c chip for when blackjack breaks out.

I had a very similar conversation with people when they found out that I was ordering snappers for my Irish Guys Poker Club CPC set. It rattled people that I would be ordering snappers. Not sure why, but it did. HA-HA!

No one panic! It will be okay! MOAR chip is always good, right?! :p

I will most likely never use the .25c. They will just sit in racks in my display case. I just want to have them, as I said before. I have always wanted a solid color CPC chip in a set, and I wanted to do it with this set. I also want to have both the .25c and the .50 chips because if we play blackjack, I will use the .50c, not the .25. Think of it as the .25c will be in play if I ever play a .25/.50 game, and the .50c chip for when blackjack breaks out.

I had a very similar conversation with people when they found out that I was ordering snappers for my Irish Guys Poker Club CPC set. It rattled people that I would be ordering snappers. Not sure why, but it did. HA-HA!

No one panic! It will be okay! MOAR chip is always good, right?! :p
NO! you will listen to us and do what we say!!!!

Cool. Maybe a splash of color like on the matchbook?
I had thought about this but couldn't figure out where exactly to do it. The clubs colors were green and gold so I toyed with the idea of maybe a green denomination. I am open to suggestions but just not sure where the splash of color would work.

I had thought about this but couldn't figure out where exactly to do it. The clubs colors were green and gold so I toyed with the idea of maybe a green denomination. I am open to suggestions but just not sure where the splash of color would work.
Green tree with gold ground or vice versa would work too

On the other side you can fill in the banner and/or outline it, or even make the SSCC color. Cool thing about green and gold is that you can go subtle

Or you can honor another south side legend, Don “Magic” Juan who drove a green and gold pimpmobile proclaiming, “green for the money and gold for the honey”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom