Something Fun When Live Home Games Start Again (1 Viewer)

power13

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
During shelter at home our home game has migrated online. With the the instructions @BearMetal and @LotsOfChips I was able to get a Poker Mavens room up and running, which has been fantastic. We are playing at least once a week and our player pool has at least doubled -- for some reason everyone's social calendar is much more open!

But there's been some unexpected side effects from this: with the influx of new players, we are playing almost exclusively NLH. The Mavens mixed game line-up isn't "spicy" enough for me and the handful of guys who love those games, so even that crew has stuck to NLH. And strangely, I think we've all rediscovered hold 'em -- it really is a great game. I'm sure we'll slide back into pot limit Archie at some point, but I expect when we migrate this new group back to live play we'll be doing hold'em only. I'm actually cool with this, but as the biggest degen in my circle I've been preparing for how to liven things up more in ways we can't do on Mavens, especially when the number of hands per hour is going to plummet with a rotating deal. The weeks of lockdown and my urge to be creative have yielded these new additions to my poker setup. I present to you my creations.

Seven-Deuce Game Button
- this was already a feature of our game in the times when we played hold'em but we had some times when we forgot to explain to a latecomer. Now when this is on the table the 7-2 game is on, no misunderstanding.

IMG_20200518_193817.jpg

Small Blind Bounty Button - will replace the dealer button. The dealer will add a big blind on top of the button on each hand. If the small blind wins the pot, they win the jackpot.

IMG_20200518_193825.jpg

Spicy dice - this is a total original. This is a 1 inch custom die which will be passed counterclockwise after a roll. When the button gets to the player with the die they roll it and that dictates play for that hand.

1: Bomb pot

IMG_20200518_184204.jpg

2: Double board

IMG_20200518_184248.jpg

3: Double bomb pot

IMG_20200518_184219.jpg

4: Crazy pineapple

IMG_20200518_184241.jpg

5: River of blood -
if the river is a red card, there's another street after the river betting round. Rinse and repeat until the river is black.

IMG_20200518_184300.jpg

6: Teddy KGB - "pay dat man heez myoney!" Everyone gives the roller 5 bucks.

IMG_20200518_184312.jpg

I like the idea of the dice roll but I'm not sure about the 5. river of blood. Makes me want to play less suited diamonds and hearts hands since it seems to make it less possible to river a flush. Other numbers are fine but I wouldn't like this one unless there was also a black equivalent.

I like the idea of the dice roll but I'm not sure about the 5. river of blood. Makes me want to play less suited diamonds and hearts hands since it seems to make it less possible to river a flush. Other numbers are fine but I wouldn't like this one unless there was also a black equivalent.
Hmm that's interesting, I think I play more suited red cards since you have a chance to re-draw to your flush if you don't hit on the river. Anyway all these are meant to be fun in small doses. Playing this (or most of the others) every hand would be dumb, but one out of six hands every orbit is probably one time per session for us.

Love the 72 button!!! Also that Small Blind bounty is very cool!

We've also stuck to NLHE, but I think that's because it's what we usually play. Some of our other games like Chicago, baseball, 72, etc can't really be emulated with Poker Mavens.

Hmm that's interesting, I think I play more suited red cards since you have a chance to re-draw to your flush if you don't hit on the river. Anyway all these are meant to be fun in small doses. Playing this (or most of the others) every hand would be dumb, but one out of six hands every orbit is probably one time per session for us.
Maybe I misunderstood the rule. I thought you meant if the river is red then you put down a 6th card (i.e. an ocean). If that's red again, then it's removed and dealt again until it's not red.

Maybe I misunderstood the rule. I thought you meant if the river is red then you put down a 6th card (i.e. an ocean). If that's red again, then it's removed and dealt again until it's not red.
You’re right I have quarantine brain. Better to play suited black than suited red. If the river is red then there is 6th street, if 6th street is red, there is 7th street, etc

SB bounty is a fun one that doesn’t totally change the game but still fun. Always run that one.

Also lol’d at kgb

Is the other side of the 7-2 button just “Dealer”? So it can be used to indicate whether it’s in effect or not like a on/off button.

During shelter at home our home game has migrated online. With the the instructions @BearMetal and @LotsOfChips I was able to get a Poker Mavens room up and running, which has been fantastic. We are playing at least once a week and our player pool has at least doubled -- for some reason everyone's social calendar is much more open!

But there's been some unexpected side effects from this: with the influx of new players, we are playing almost exclusively NLH. The Mavens mixed game line-up isn't "spicy" enough for me and the handful of guys who love those games, so even that crew has stuck to NLH. And strangely, I think we've all rediscovered hold 'em -- it really is a great game. I'm sure we'll slide back into pot limit Archie at some point, but I expect when we migrate this new group back to live play we'll be doing hold'em only. I'm actually cool with this, but as the biggest degen in my circle I've been preparing for how to liven things up more in ways we can't do on Mavens, especially when the number of hands per hour is going to plummet with a rotating deal. The weeks of lockdown and my urge to be creative have yielded these new additions to my poker setup. I present to you my creations.

Seven-Deuce Game Button - this was already a feature of our game in the times when we played hold'em but we had some times when we forgot to explain to a latecomer. Now when this is on the table the 7-2 game is on, no misunderstanding.

View attachment 461486

Small Blind Bounty Button - will replace the dealer button. The dealer will add a big blind on top of the button on each hand. If the small blind wins the pot, they win the jackpot.

View attachment 461494

Spicy dice - this is a total original. This is a 1 inch custom die which will be passed counterclockwise after a roll. When the button gets to the player with the die they roll it and that dictates play for that hand.

1: Bomb pot

View attachment 461501

2: Double board

View attachment 461502

3: Double bomb pot

View attachment 461505

4: Crazy pineapple

View attachment 461507

5: River of blood -
if the river is a red card, there's another street after the river betting round. Rinse and repeat until the river is black.

View attachment 461509

6: Teddy KGB - "pay dat man heez myoney!" Everyone gives the roller 5 bucks.

View attachment 461510
I need these in my life! Where can we get them?

Love the 7-2 button. Group buy?
I actually have a different group buy in the pre-planning stage (which I think you'll think is way cooler), but if someone wants to run one for any of these items I'm happy to provide the artwork.

Is the other side of the 7-2 button just “Dealer”? So it can be used to indicate whether it’s in effect or not like a on/off button.
I kept it simple and made it the same design on both sides. If the game is off I'll just take it off the table. My plan isn't to use it as the actual dealer button just keep it on the table. Would be pretty easy to have a different design on the other side though I imagine...

Sounds like a lot of fun. How often do the alternative buttons get put into play?
So far zero times since I just got them made and our live game isn't reopened yet :)

This. Maybe change the river of blood artwork to a lake or ocean artwork so that both colors are used. Definitely interested in a few!

You’re right I have quarantine brain. Better to play suited black than suited red. If the river is red then there is 6th street, if 6th street is red, there is 7th street, etc
To me, a 6th street means that the original red river card counts, but the 6th street also counts, etc. Is it simply that there is always only ONE river card, but if it is red, it is thrown out until it's black? So, there are still only 5 community cards ever?

To me, a 6th street means that the original red river card counts, but the 6th street also counts, etc. Is it simply that there is always only ONE river card, but if it is red, it is thrown out until it's black? So, there are still only 5 community cards ever?
No if the river is red, then an additional street is dealt with an additional round of betting (sometimes know as an ocean). If that additional street is also red, then there is another street and another round of betting. This cintinues until a black card is eventually dealt, which signals the last round of betting. No cards are removed. This is different than just having 6th Street/ocean since if the river is black then play ends after the river betting round. But it's possible for there to be many more streets / betting rounds if a string of red cards is dealt starting on the river.

Here is a Reddit thread discussing the variant if this isn't clear

Okay, thanks, that's clear. That's what I thought it was from your initial explanation, but then all the talk of not wanting to be drawing to a red flush threw me off.

No if the river is red, then an additional street is dealt with an additional round of betting (sometimes know as an ocean). If that additional street is also red, then there is another street and another round of betting. This cintinues until a black card is eventually dealt, which signals the last round of betting. No cards are removed. This is different than just having 6th Street/ocean since if the river is black then play ends after the river betting round. But it's possible for there to be many more streets / betting rounds if a string of red cards is dealt starting on the river.

Here is a Reddit thread discussing the variant if this isn't clear

It is an interesting dynamic to introduce an unknown number of board cards. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'd be willing to give it a try, but for my dice, I might prefer to have an "ocean wave" instead...and to know ahead of time that there will be EXACTLY 6 board cards.

It is an interesting dynamic to introduce an unknown number of board cards. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'd be willing to give it a try, but for my dice, I might prefer to have an "ocean wave" instead...and to know ahead of time that there will be EXACTLY 6 board cards.
hmmm... That's another way to look at it. Not much to just having a sixth community card though. I much prefer the more interesting way the OP already has it. More interesting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom