SOHE hand question (1 Viewer)

AK Chip

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This is a seven player flip sohe hand were all seven hands will see the river. What is the best way to split this hand?
AcAh 2c2h 3h 7s

I went with
Ac2c
Ah2h3h7s

It seems to me that although the goal is usually to scoop, in this situation, settling for half a 7-handed pot seems like a more reasonable goal. And the most likely path to that is Aces in holdem, right? I mean double suited aces in Omaha is great, but probably not better than aces in holdem.

I was kind of hoping for a scoop when I made my hand.

It seems to me that although the goal is usually to scoop, in this situation, settling for half a 7-handed pot seems like a more reasonable goal. And the most likely path to that is Aces in holdem, right? I mean double suited aces in Omaha is great, but probably not better than aces in holdem.
I had aces at first but knowing all hands would see the river thought they wouldn’t hold.

I was kind of hoping for a scoop when I made my hand.

You will never scoop with that unless something crazy like AA falls on the board. How can you make two flushes? If you hit an A you likely lose to a better kicker.

AcAh3h7s

Hope to make a set with both hands for the scoop or at least one set or flush for half. Set in HE and wheel in Omaha also possible.

I’ll admit I was just guessing when I made the hand. Hit a straight with possible flush in the other hand?

The 2018 SOHE WORLD CHAMPION would have played AA 2237. Less variance in the HE hand with the best probability of half the pot. Miracle flop for the scoooooop.

I’m about 7 beerski’s in, actual results may vary.

Dude who wrote the book on SOHE agrees.

AA in Hold'em may not be > 50% in this big of a field, but neither is anything else. Aces will hold up more often than some folks in this thread are giving them credit for.

You can also feel safer putting a tiny pair and tiny flush cards in Omaha here because you don't have to fear getting trapped set over set or flush over flush. Action's closed.

Also notice that :ac::ah: and :2c::2h::3h::7s: slightly complement each other. If you hit an ace for a set, you also have one card to a straight with 23. If you run out a flush in Omaha with :2h::3h:, you gain flush outs with the :ah: in Hold'em. Obviously it's not the best-case scenario for complementary hands, but it's better than most of the other options.

If it wasn't "7 players" going to the river in a flip then I would probably put the Aces on the Hold'em side with a pre flop bet. With a flip I think I'm going with aa22 37

Very simple, the only time to put Aces in PLO is when you have Kings as well and you have a suite with an Ace.

look at the equity of AA vs 6 other hands in hold’em compared to AA22 doubles suited.
The hold’em hand will have more equity for sure.

plus with most people putting their pocket pairs in hold’em a set of 2’s in PLO is a much stronger hand. Far less chance of a bigger set.

so for this hand to have scoop potential all it needs is a 2 on the board.

any other combination of hands needs more help to improve.

This is a seven player flip sohe hand were all seven hands will see the river. What is the best way to split this hand?
AcAh 2c2h 3h 7s

I went with
Ac2c
Ah2h3h7s
How did it turn out?

Very simple, the only time to put Aces in PLO is when you have Kings as well and you have a suite with an Ace.

look at the equity of AA vs 6 other hands in hold’em compared to AA22 doubles suited.
The hold’em hand will have more equity for sure.

plus with most people putting their pocket pairs in hold’em a set of 2’s in PLO is a much stronger hand. Far less chance of a bigger set.

so for this hand to have scoop potential all it needs is a 2 on the board.

any other combination of hands needs more help to improve.

That makes sense. That's why you're a pro and I'm barely an amateur

The fact it is a flip makes the decision to put aces in the hold'em side easier.

In a normal hand, the aces are hard to get to showdown. Hero would face multiple large bets and have to hope he is facing lots of action on the Omaha side / no action based on the hold'em side. Playing pocket aces unimproved on the hold'em side is a good way to be scooped. More so as the stacks get deeper.

Flips let you play hands with little nut potential because you don't have to decide if a "good but not great" hand is worthy of calling a few ever increasing bets.

I would AA / 2237 and hope for a split.

DrStrange

PS: I think SOHE is a much better limit game than big bet game. I find deep stacked SOHE is bum hunting paired with nut peddling. It is terrible for a standing group because no limit SOHE allows the strong to slaughter the weak players.

The fact it is a flip makes the decision to put aces in the hold'em side easier.

In a normal hand, the aces are hard to get to showdown. Hero would face multiple large bets and have to hope he is facing lots of action on the Omaha side / no action based on the hold'em side. Playing pocket aces unimproved on the hold'em side is a good way to be scooped. More so as the stacks get deeper.

Flips let you play hands with little nut potential because you don't have to decide if a "good but not great" hand is worthy of calling a few ever increasing bets.

I would AA / 2237 and hope for a split.

DrStrange

PS: I think SOHE is a much better limit game than big bet game. I find deep stacked SOHE is bum hunting paired with nut peddling. It is terrible for a standing group because no limit SOHE allows the strong to slaughter the weak players.

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said here.

I will add to the PS: This is true to some degree of the vast majority of poker variants played with a big-bet structure. NL and PL are usually not good structures for maintaining a long-term game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom