Software for designing chipes (1 Viewer)

Wils

Flush
Reaction score
What do you use? Specifically for custom ceramic chips? Is there an industry standard, are there decent free options out there?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Also I haven't been around here for ages, so I hope my American cohorts across the water are doing ok.

GIMP is also a good free/open-source image creation app, if you want to go that route. I've not found an equivalent of the CPC custom chip creator for ceramics yet, if that's what you seek...

Pixelmator is another good option if you're using a Mac. But ya, Illustrator is the way to go. But their business model is ridiculous. You can't buy it. Have to either sign up for an overpriced subscription every time you want to use it, or use pirated software.

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention that if you have a general idea of what you want to do but are not great with true design work you really should check out CreativeMarket. It is a market place for really great design professionals to sell their editable fonts, logos, and design elements. I have been using this for years for my businesses and it is a fantastic resource and the money actually goes to real and creative freelance designers and you will gain legal licensed usage.

So for example if you want a circus theme, just search around for “circus” and see what cool fonts or illustrations or logos etc you can work off of for a chip theme. The files are downloadable usually in AI or PSD formats. Even if you aren’t great with design you could pick up some stuff there and then get one of the forum members to help you out to put it all together.

https://creativemarket.com/

Pixelator is another good option if you're using a Mac. But ya, Illustrator is the way to go. But their business model is ridiculous. You can't buy it. Have to either sign up for an overpriced subscription every time you want to use it, or use pirated software.
This is the exact reason I’m using my old CS6 version. The prices are criminal. Like, Fortnite criminal.

Done a bit of playing about with Inkscape mocking up some labels. There’s plenty of good tutorials on YouTube (and it did seem to pay dividends to spend a little time on them). And it’s free so, if you don’t like it, nothing lost. It can be a bit fiddly for some things (like measuring circle dimensions from the bottom left, rather than the centre). But still usable IMO.

Now, GIMP, that’s a different matter. Tried it years ago. Hated it. Tried it again a few week ago thinking surely several years of open source development must have improved the user interface... still hate it.

Done a bit of playing about with Inkscape mocking up some labels. There’s plenty of good tutorials on YouTube (and it did seem to pay dividends to spend a little time on them). And it’s free so, if you don’t like it, nothing lost. It can be a bit fiddly for some things (like measuring circle dimensions from the bottom left, rather than the centre). But still usable IMO.

Now, GIMP, that’s a different matter. Tried it years ago. Hated it. Tried it again a few week ago thinking surely several years of open source development must have improved the user interface... still hate it.

The thing is that GIMP is intended to be an open source free alternative to Photoshop which is a software for professionals. Both are intended to be robust, not intuitive. Even if both were free, I wouldn’t recommend either to a novice graphic designer.

Looks like I’m the only idiot that pays for adobe subscriptions

1593027827396.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom