So I want to get a limit set together... (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
But not an ordinary limit set with racks and racks of $1's and a rack or two of $20's or $25's.

My home crew and I literally play cheeseburger stakes. Traditional NLHE cash games and dealer's choice nights tend to run with each player in for only $20 or so on average. On a bad night someone will be stuck $60. I'm going to try to introduce a 0.25/0.25 game next year to see how it plays and if they guys go along with it going from 0.10/0.20 blinds to that. I'm interested to see if that would play any bigger.

When COVID passes and I'm able to host again, I'd like to throw in some fixed limit games into the rotation. Probably dealer's choice because limit hold em will get boring fast. Because of the blinds and stakes we play, I don't believe a $1 base limit set would work well. This would chase a lot of my crew away I think, even if I do the 'ol buy in for half and get double the amount in chips. In real money, that would still be a $50 buy in for a rack of $1's to start, and with minimum bets of 50 cents, up to $4 if I cap it after three re-raises, and $1/$2/$4/$8 post flop in real money. That can play a bit high for most of my crew.

Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that a quarter chip would be a lot better as a workhorse chip for my particular limit game, and a rack or two of $5's for the high money chips.

Thing is, well, one needs lots of chips for a limit set. Quarter chips and fracs are rare, and the one's that can be located are expensive. For a clay chip, the only other option is to murder/label over. I've thought of going the Sunfly/custom route. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

For base chips, I was thinking of blue quarters as a base chip and either red or yellow $5's. The Sunfly/ceramics route is probably the cheapest way to go, but there are some blue Paulson's that I like, but that will quickly get expensive.

Has anyone else made a limit set with fracs as the base chip? Would love to see them and get some inspiration!

Working on one. I have double the chips in the photo. 2000 green and 400 red total.

EF1F4F0C-DBAC-433D-B7EB-4D98D473CE0F.jpeg
9DD9F5F7-D215-4095-89F4-3AEB2DF8E4AE.jpeg

My suggestion would be SunFly or ABC ceramics. You should consider non-denominations too, in case your stakes ever grow.

Go the non denomination route. No need for the stakes to be on the chips there are only two chips it won’t get confusing and if by chance the stakes increase you’re still covered.
That's a good idea. Only two denominations on the table= less of a chance that someone messes up and forgets the chip values. Also a good way to future proof in the event that the games grows and to account for inflation.

Or use the traditional set values ($1/$20 or $25) and use a divisor. $20 gets you $40 in chips...or $80...etc.
Last time I hosted a limit game where we were playing all new games, we played $1=$10 in chips. It worked well.

EDIT: OK, so I just skimmed the OP. But it still should work. ;)

Or use the traditional set values ($1/$20 or $25) and use a divisor. $20 gets you $40 in chips...or $80...etc.
Last time I hosted a limit game where we were playing all new games, we played $1=$10 in chips. It worked well.
This could work if I divide the chip values by 4. $1's would essentially be quarters and $20's would be $5's, essentially. Probably would go the route of $20 gets $80 in chips, or $25 gets $100 in chips that way everybody gets a rack to start!

If I do go this route, I think I'd buy more blue $1's from Dennis and make a Key West limit set. Can't beat a CPC clay chip for $1/chip!

This could work if I divide the chip values by 4. $1's would essentially be quarters and $20's would be $5's, essentially. Probably would go the route of $20 gets $80 in chips, or $25 gets $100 in chips that way everybody gets a rack to start!

If I do go this route, I think I'd buy more blue $1's from Dennis and make a Key West limit set. Can't beat a CPC clay chip for $1/chip!
Excellent idea. Great chips, just MOAR of em!

I've always disliked having to do math, so I've never gone the route of dividing the chip values. I've either bought twice as many fracs as $1s or I've murdered.

Excellent idea. Great chips, just MOAR of em!
That's the idea. Now I just need to talk Dennis into a run of the charcoal $20's with his next order. :cool

That's the idea. Now I just need to talk Dennis into a run of the charcoal $20's with his next order. :cool
Hmm, looks like only 642 blue $1's left in the inventory. I will need to ask Dennis if he plans on another run. If not, I may be SOL.

If you want to consider a Bud Jones chip, I can potentially provide around 1000x $25 chips that can be murdered into quarters for a very good price. These chips are considerably easier to murder than inlaid clays, by far.

Buy a ton of your favorite chip at whatever price point you can afford for a ton of them. Don't worry about the denomination. Non-denom would be great, but failing that, any denom will be fine. Any color. Any style. Any type of chip - plastic, ceramic, clay, metal, whatever. Just buy a ton of them and make them all the same, and make them nice because you'll be looking at piles of them all night long.

Then buy a small pile of plaques with a unique and interesting design, without denominations. Hire a designer to help.

Set the stakes before you sit down: "Every chip is a quarter" or a dime or thirteen cents or whatever you like. Buy-in is two hundred or three hundred times whatever that is. Give them one or two racks and five plaques - the plaques are twenty chips, and don't worry about how much money that is.

Betting is in units of "a chip", not money. Bets are one chip / two chips, or two chips / four chips, or three chips / six chips. Nobody needs to know how much money that is. It's a bet. You bet or you raise or you fold, and how much money it is doesn't matter because it's limit.

If you say "every chip is thirteen cents" you might need a calculator when it's time to cash out. But otherwise it doesn't matter what you set the stakes to, as long as everyone is comfortable, and it doesn't matter what numbers are actually printed on the chips. There's only one type of chip, they're all the same, and every chip is a quarter (or whatever). Everyone will get it just fine, and everyone will have a blast tossing three or six or twelve chips in the pot when they bet, and in raking in huge pots - physically huge, even if not monetarily huge.

My guys won't play limit but I love the game. If it were me, currently owning RHC, CPC, and Chipco sets, with sunfly hybrids and cards mold on the way, if it were up to me with price point per custom chip I'd say chipco if you can get them and ABC blanks if not.

Obviously if you can afford a full set of CPC limit set then that's the clear winner, but I feel like what keeps people from limit sets is the cost per chip and ceramics are hard to beat. And obviously something like the mints from @CraigT78 Windy Crest are stuff that shows how amazing it can be, and how hard it can be to beat design wise.

Definitely check out @ABC Gifts and Awards if you got the Black Friday email. Huge savings on top of their volume discount which with a limit set adds up fast!

I agree use non denominational chips if you think the game may grow.

I have a $2 chip limit set to play $4/8 (or $6/12) and ordered 1600 chip to play $5/10 (or 7.50/15) as well.

if I only had 1 limit set and had the option, I’d go non denominational for the workhouse chip. And a denominated chip for the value chip.

81B199EF-A853-4CD9-B0DB-1D8FF038EED5.jpeg
4ED126FF-B4DB-4E93-8118-A439E0B16D34.jpeg

Go the non denomination route. No need for the stakes to be on the chips there are only two chips it won’t get confusing and if by chance the stakes increase you’re still covered.
^ This... and this:
the GB China cards mold. They are a great value.
You can assign any denomination you wish to the base chip -- 5c, 10c, 25c, 50c, $1, $5, etc. -- to fit the needs of the specific game being spread, and assign a 20x denomination to the value chip ($1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $100, etc.) to match -- with no need to get additional sets as your game's stakes change (up or down).

The card mold chips are inexpensive enough so that a 1,000 chip set (900/100) won't break the bank at around 30c each. Plus it's your own customs, and it's multiple sets in one!

For your group, I'd recommend running a 2-chip/4-chip game, which may work best stake-wise as a 20c/40c game using 10c chips. A $20 buy-in is 50 big bets, or 100 x 10c chips and 5 x $2 chips. The problem with using quarters is that for a 2-chip/4-chip game, your betting limits are actually 50c/$1 --capped at either $2 or $4 per betting round -- which as you indicated, may be too high for your group. Unless you make the chips worth 12-1/2 cents. :confused:)

I've always disliked having to do math, so I've never gone the route of dividing the chip values. I've either bought twice as many fracs as $1s or I've murdered.
You only have to do math when buying in and cashing out, and only the banker needs to do even that.

As to using non-denoms, as Rhodeman suggested, you could just use non-denoms for the workhorse limit chip (e.g., the frac) and use denominated chips for the high value (e.g., $5 or higher).

Last edited:

Key West is awsome

FA03CA1E-B81D-48E2-A1A4-E9EE8BB84D12.jpg

Those blue $1 chips are AWSOME value for $1/chip
If you go non denom...love the roulettes too

1605451328650.png

You only have to do math when buying in and cashing out, and only the banker needs to do even that.

As to using non-denoms, as Rhodeman suggested, you could just use non-denoms for the workhorse limit chip (e.g., the frac) and use denominated chips for the high value (e.g., $5 or higher).
It's also a matter of the players. Mine hate any non denom chip. Granted, we play NL, so there are usually 3 or 4 chips in play, but they still hate them even if there are only 2. Personally, I'm fine with a work horse non denom.

The other problem is that they continually like to know how much money they have in front of them. If I tell them okay so this $1 chip is actually $0.25, they wouldn't go for that.

It's also a matter of the players. Mine hate any non denom chip. Granted, we play NL, so there are usually 3 or 4 chips in play, but they still hate them even if there are only 2. Personally, I'm fine with a work horse non denom.

The other problem is that they continually like to know how much money they have in front of them. If I tell them okay so this $1 chip is actually $0.25, they wouldn't go for that.
Mine are the same when we play NL but when we play limit every chip has the same value so it’s not difficult. Trust me if my players can figure it out anyone can.

Hmm, looks like only 642 blue $1's left in the inventory. I will need to ask Dennis if he plans on another run. If not, I may be SOL.
You already have 2 racks of $1s, add 600 more and you're good. Best limit nights are dealers choice with 8 players or less, one rack per player to start with value chips for rebuys. Then if the guys end up liking limit, buy another 800 when they come back in stock.... :LOL: :laugh:

One more shout out to non-denom.

The more one plays limit, the more the game becomes a "chip" game as opposed to a "denom" game. In other words, the bet is 2 chips / 4 chips and not $X / 2 $X. Even if mixing pot limit games on the rotation, it's all bout the chip betting, even when declaring. So it gives you the flexibility of playing whatever stakes you want at any time. You could have a 20 chip that is basically a barrel worth.

Now, if you already know your stakes, nothing wrong with having denims as well. I cover both options myself and see value in both.

Thanks everyone. I have a bit to think about. This is going to be a 2021 project. Jack's Card Room is sadly closed indefinitely and I won't be playing or hosting any time soon :(
That just means you have more time to design some killer sets! When my players come back, they're not gonna know what hit em...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom