So I bought a Food Dehydrator..... (2 Viewers)

mtl mile end

Flush
Reaction score
I've always wanted a dehydrator, and Walmart.ca had a sale that I couldn't resist.

ed7f1a467151c033728ec25531455e42.png

It's on its way. I'm excited about the process, but wondering where the hell I'm going to put it.

But my main concern is; what cheap cuts of beef make good (or even acceptably good) jerky?

Here in Montreal, flank steak is not an option. Flank and flap are desirable cuts that aren't used as loss leaders, so they rarely go on sale for less than around $10 per pound. I can get ribeye for (a little) less. I need to know what cheap cuts work.

Any cuts of beef will work if you grind it first and make jerky stips out of it

I love jerky as much as the next man, but we use ours to dry bananas and apples. You can make really quite good dried apples in a dehydrater and they don't come with all the excess crap they have if you buy them.

I've always been curious. I'm a jerky fiend!! How does dehydrated jerky taste compare to the old fashioned way (salt, pepper, spice...and hang to dry). I've never used a dehydrator, but have always been curious.

I've always been curious. I'm a jerky fiend!! How does dehydrated jerky taste compare to the old fashioned way (salt, pepper, spice...and hang to dry). I've never used a dehydrator, but have always been curious.
It's very different, especially if you use venison. It has alot more meat and seasoning flavor and alot less preservatives and salt flavor
Do you use a gun for that?

f3fa6f256a0959a600f21eae5905f59f.png
You can yeah. It seems gross but it's not, it makes very tender jerky, and you dont have all the tough nasty tendons to chew on. You grind your spices and seasonings right in too

Very lean cuts of meat are ideal for jerky. The fat doesn't hold up well. A little fat is fine but a ribeye has too much fat. Venison is also a good meat for jerky.

You can yeah. It seems gross but it's not, it makes very tender jerky, and you dont have all the tough nasty tendons to chew on. You grind your spices and seasonings right in too
It doesn't seem gross at all. That is to say, using a jerky gun to make ground meat jerky is completely sensible. It was the "ground meat jerky" part that was freaking me out.

I couldn't afford to buy the dehydrator. Now you're telling me I need a meat grinder too? I can't afford this hobby. At least I can multi purpose my caulk gun. :bigbucks:

It doesn't seem gross at all. That is to say, using a jerky gun to make ground meat jerky is completely sensible. It was the "ground meat jerky" part that was freaking me out.

I couldn't afford to buy the dehydrator. Now you're telling me I need a meat grinder too? I can't afford this hobby. At least I can multi purpose my caulk gun. :bigbucks:
Well meat grinders come in various sizes and strengths. For what you'd be doing a small (affordable) one would suffice fine. Plus it might even draw you in to homeade sausages, meat sticks, and summer sausage

I prefer the dehydrator for my jerky you know what's going in. There is a difference though in texture compared to store brought cured jerky.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom