Snowing in South Texas (2 Viewers)

Pump stations are shut down due to no electricity
Electricity came to my village in 1954.
Running water in homes came in 1972.
I 've got pictures of me as a two-year-old on the donkey carrying water barrels from the fountain to homes. :)

And there is likely extensive damage to the water supply network. I was in Houston in 1989 when the same sort of long, cold storm hit. They were losing something like 40% of the entire water supply to leaks. The old parts of the city suffered for months.

Attic pipe busted. Not a snowmaggedon fan
Same!
7AFD2FF1-A2C0-430A-A96C-86FCAF1DF8A0.jpeg

The snow was fun for a while but the rolling blackouts suck. For some of our friends it hasn't been rolling and just stayed a blackout since Sunday night.

We got some pipe and water heater issues the other night when power was out over night on the coldest night (got down to 7 here).

Luckily gas has been working the entire time so we huddled in the living room with the gas fireplace. Water has been fine for us but others around Austin are having water completely off or slowing to a trickle. The city has asked people to not drip their faucets as there is a major water shortage.

Lines at grocery stores are extremely long (to the end of the shopping center) and supplies within are limited. Hopefully by this Friday or weekend trucks will be able to navigate the roads to bring in meat, produce and other food items.

Cross posting this - - Sorry, not sorry.

Please contact your homeowners insurance agent in the case of indoor water damage. These sorts of damages are generally covered as part of your homeowner's policy. Your home's damage will need to be adjusted. The insurance company often will have vendors you are required to use. But the insurance might also cover things like putting you up in a hotel while repairs are being done. Your house isn't considered livable if the water and power are turned off due to damage in your house.

Sadly you aren't covered if the water and power goes off due to your providers failing. You'll need to get your own hotel rooms.

Hope everyone is doing well. This is my first time back online here since my power went off on Monday at 6pm and came back last night. Still no water, but was very prepared so plenty in the bath for flushing and bottles/jugs for drinking. Stay safe y'all!

Well it is snowing in San Antonio/Bulverde again! At least the power has been on all night for us. Still no water but they say it should be coming soon. They just will not say how soon.

I can't get a plumber so went to attempt the pipe repair myself. Went to Lowes and they're completely out of PVC glue and the plumbing section was heaving - social distancing be damned! Went to Home Depot and there's a queue out he door and was told that it's 1.5hr wait just to get into the store. Googled a dodgy plumbing supply store in the less salubrious part of town and managed to secure some tiny tins of glue (at more than double the going price, cash only).

Got up in the attic, stuck the pipe together, opened the isolation valve and we seem to be back in action. I'm more than a little paranoid so keep going back to check but it's been 6 hours now and it seems to be holding. Plumbers are going to be minting coin here for the next few days.

Truly terrible what you are all having to go through in Texas. I wish I had something better to offer than my best wishes. Stay warm and stay safe.

Several more inches of snow today, but grateful to have power back at our home here in San Antonio. We had been completely out since Sunday evening aside from the brief rolling blackouts on Mon-Tues. Cell service is back. Water pressure is low and we’re on boil notice, but grateful to have it.

Grocery stores are now mostly closed … even Sam’s Club sent out an email officially announcing it. The ones that are open are empty. Guessing a run on gasoline is next. If anybody needs anything … power, food, hot shower … feel free to reach out. My family is happy to help.

Warm weather is on the horizon, but it will likely be weeks before things really get back to normal. ERCOT really sh*t the bed — I guess this proves Texas isn’t quite ready to secede :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Jeeeez, yeah I am In San Antonio too! Finally went to HEB today and they had some more food than the past few days. It was previously wiped clean almost, no milk before. Got some essentials. Got power back as well. Some of my friends still are without water as of today. sorry About those pipes! Many of my friends have had theirs busted.

Well it sounds like there are a few of us in the San Antonio area. We should all get together for a little poker!!!

As of today I still do not have water but I have supplies. I am waiting for everyone to get through with their emergency shopping before I go to the store.
Hope all is well

If I'm not to far from anyone needing some PVC, I may have what ya need.

Abt 45-50 miles East of Dallas, 20 miles South of Greenville, Tx.

Russ

So despite my success fixing one pipe, I opened up the isolation to the outdoor faucets and found 2 or more leaks in the copper pipe. There is water leaking from a completely enclosed part of the roof where we have no access so I have no idea how we’re gonna fix it. Luckily we’re not gonna need water to the outside faucets for a few months so I have time to find a professional when they’re less busy. This is getting old...

Finally went back home this morning after hearing water was restored last night. I turned on the furthest and highest faucet and then turned in the main valve. I slowly opened up other faucets and water was running fine. Shut it all down and left the main on. Waited over 30 minutes and pressure held and meter does not show any leaks. I may have survived this freeze well!

thank God!

David O

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom