Snowing in South Texas (1 Viewer)

Here in SA with you. Hang in there!

Maybe this summer, we can do a better job to prepare ourselves for these “light dustings” by taking classes on topics such as:
  • How to Drive on Black Ice Without the Help of Salt or Plows 101
  • Where Exactly to Use those Driving Skills when the Entire State is Without Power 202
  • How to Heat Your Home in Single Digit Temps Without a Furnace or Stacked Wood 301
Maybe, if we’re lucky, some of our northern friends can facilitate additional continuing education courses such as, “How to Communicate During Failed Cellular Service” and one that would come in handy for me right now — as well as many of the 5mil+ others currently stranded — “How to Make Coffee without Gas Appliances”. :dead:

Now that's snow. My wife went to work this morning. Schools are closed, which is lol since my son still has to go to his online classes. No more snow days in Canada.

IMG_20210216_094843.jpg

We had a multi day outage a few years back. Afterwards we looked into generators and settled on the below. Pricy, but have definitely gotten our return on investment over the years. Would highly recommend to anyone to get one. Can not believe how thankful you will be when you need it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honda-Eu2200ITAG-1800-Watt-Inverter-Gasoline-Portable-Generator/1003237938

We are looking at buying a new place next year and while we are currently in an area of the city that has never lost power in the almost 4 years I've been here the new area probably won't be that way. I'm definitely going to be picking up a generator for when, not if, we lose power there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Same here in the houston area. No rolling. Those without are without. We've been out 36 hours. Temp inside the house holding in the low 50s
I just wrote in the other snow thread that my sister's home is out of power too (which means no heating either), but she at least has a fireplace (and firewood), meant to be an environmentally unfriendly luxury feature in "peacetime".
She's going to spend this night in her sleeping bag, in the living room, in front of the fireplace...

My best wishes to all folks without heating and running water tonight! Take care.

This cold weather is getting old in Nebraska too. -25 Sunday night, that's a record. We're set up and good to 0, but -25 is a lot colder. Time for the weather to warm up, think it's only getting up to -5 today. Hard on the cattle, hard to keep water to them. At least there wasn't much snow, just a couple of inches.

Quick update. We have been out of power for over 24 hours and entire neighborhood has no water. Not fun.
Oh thats rough. We went a week without power after an ice storm 10 years ago. Luckily we have a fireplace and I keep plenty of wood on hand, but most dont. If you can find a friend or relative who still has power to shack up with for a couple days would be the best option.

Quick update. We have been out of power for over 24 hours and entire neighborhood has no water. Not fun.

Same here in the houston area. No rolling. Those without are without. We've been out 36 hours. Temp inside the house holding in the low 50s
Hang tight guys, this is my worst fear. We managed to not lose power or get hit by the rolling blackouts yet. Just saw where Southwest Power Pool is rolling back their call for the rolling blackouts so hopefully they will concentrate on getting those without power back up.

Maybe most already know this, but I'll throw it out there since these temps are hitting areas that aren't used to dealing with it. If you have a gas stove and your electricity is out, boil water and put it in Nalgene bottles or something similar. Stick a few of those under the covers while you sleep and they stay warm for a long time. My parents end up doing this at least once a year it seems like. I have an electric stove at home, so I'm SOL unless I break out one of my camp stoves.

Most of the people I know in Houston haven’t had power for at least a day. By some miracle we’ve kept power but lost water. I haven’t had a shower in 2 days. We’ve been using buckets to bring water from the pool to flush the toilets. Real 3rd world country situation here...

My record, winter-camping while in the Army, has been 2+ weeks.
You cease to stink any worse after the 10th day.:D
My personal best was 10 days while backpacking in Scouts. I learned that after a few days the mosquitos and flies mostly leave you alone because you smell like part of nature.

BarrieJ3 says he hopes you're doing well @David O, he's also having some issues with the outages and loss of water/pipes bursting in his neighborhood. Says it's extremely cold in his house, he offered this info:
Cell service in and out. About 2 hours so far waiting for chicken. Lines for grocery around us are at an hour just to get in the store. If I was on PCF would be curious to how David O is doing. He’s just a bit up the road, but apparently this is all really hit and miss (one random neighbor has had electricity the whole time).
He says his fish has also died :unsure:

BarrieJ3 says he hopes you're doing well @David O, he's also having some issues with the outages and loss of water/pipes bursting in his neighborhood. Says it's extremely cold in his house, he offered this info:
Cell service in and out. About 2 hours so far waiting for chicken. Lines for grocery around us are at an hour just to get in the store. If I was on PCF would be curious to how David O is doing. He’s just a bit up the road, but apparently this is all really hit and miss (one random neighbor has had electricity the whole time).
He says his fish has also died :unsure:

Well we are still out. No power no water. Hunkering down for another cold night. Fortunately we have groceries although some are perishable. Hell of a way to have to clean out the fridge.
Do you have a generator at least because that sounds not fun at all.
Unfortunately we have no generator. We here in Texas do not usually have to worry about these kind of situations.

We got our water back for a couple of hours. Managed to have a shower which is a blessing.

Now we’ve just had our power cut as part of the rolling outages. I went to check the pool house and the ceiling has collapsed! Whatever happens, this is gonna be expensive...

The first snow after I got my driver’s license, my dad said I should go to a large parking lot and have at it. It teaches how the car handles and what you should (and not) do. Granted that was the days of big V8s and rear wheel drive cars, but still recommended!
My Dad took me to the country.

The first snow after I got my driver’s license, my dad said I should go to a large parking lot and have at it. It teaches how the car handles and what you should (and not) do. Granted that was the days of big V8s and rear wheel drive cars, but still recommended!
Those old rear-wheel drive boats were a blast in snow-covered parking lots!

Also, copper pipes freeze when there’s still water in them. If there’s no water service, open up faucets to drain what’s in them. If you do have water, leave a faucet dripping or lightly running to keep water flowing through the pipes.
"Farewell for the Winter" procedures in my 1895 mountain home in my village include turning off water supply and then opening faucets and flushing the toilet to drain the pipes and the toilet's cistern. Pouring plenty of salt into the toilet is a good idea too.

Poor home is lonely and freezing now. I saw it reached -14C there yesterday.

I am on Lake Tawakoni, South of Quinlan, TX and most of the same here. We have a Propane Gas Insert in our Fire Place, so have been staying ok. Have had water until today and running very slow and told to Boil it, if washing with it, brushing teeth and whatever.

I'll post some pic's in another post, so not to take away from this post.

Will say though that we are one on the largest lakes in TX and it is frozen over with 3"+ snow on it, at least on our end of the Lake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom