Snowing in South Texas (1 Viewer)

David O

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
It does not happen too often but it is snowing in San Antonio and the surrounding areas.

This pretty much shut down the city today and most likely tomorrow. We have no plows and they do not put gravel or sand down so all of the streets are not drivable.

I will say it is pretty but you folks up north have got come take this back. It seems your weather is drunk in my back yard. Please come and take it back!!!
1A5DCF26-C864-46BB-A9F4-E1F44C006BFE.jpeg
0250B05B-D136-4E57-A7E1-4BEF8DB8D356.jpeg
A6776841-7BB5-4CEF-8E3F-762B2505C74C.jpeg
78DA50BB-666C-4F27-B850-113271BB32E3.jpeg
DCDB52AC-3282-46B9-9DB4-C1059E14F313.jpeg

If you have 4x4, that’s certainly drivable! :D

That’s definitely a significant amount of snowfall for your neck of the woods. Be careful, and stay warm!

As for our drunk weather, it’s your problem now. Just don’t let it inside.

Yeah, this winter blast SUCKS. It's -6 this morning in OK with who knows how cold that wind chill is. I hate winter anyway, I want to live in the Caribbean.

The bigger problem in Texas is that power generation stations are going offline. I don't suppose anyone knows what's going on with that?

The bigger problem in Texas is that power generation stations are going offline. I don't suppose anyone knows what's going on with that?
Just higher than usual use of power. They are basically asking everyone to conserve energy but I am sure most are blasting the heat. I believe they are doing rolling brownouts here.I got "an event" non my thermostat which happens occasionally. It is the electric company cycling my power during high used on the grid. Currently we are getting electricity for about 15 minutes and then it goes off again.

Just saw the headline in Google news:
“Rolling power outages ordered across Texas as energy demand reaches record high”

Yes I just confirmed that ERCOT is instructing all power providers to do rolling outages. They should not last for more than 15 minutes. They are saying if it lasts more than 15 minutes it is most likely a different outage not related to the rolling outages

This pretty much shut down the city today and most likely tomorrow. We have no plows and they do not put gravel or sand down so all of the streets are not drivable.
Southern cities or “non winter cities” (Vancouver in Canada) catch a lot of flak for getting shut completely down with a little bit of snow but this is exactly it. These cities just don’t have/need the infrastructure to deal with heavy snow once every few years, so when it does happen you just need to wait it out.

all of the streets are not drivable

i see 4-5 trucks/SUVs in those pictures - are none of them 4WD?

i kid - if you are not used to driving in the snow, please don't try. but one of my absolute favorite things to do is go out and drive around in the snow after i finish clearing my driveway but before the plows are done, especially if it's still coming down.

i see 4-5 trucks/SUVs in those pictures - are none of them 4WD?

i kid - if you are not used to driving in the snow, please don't try. but one of my absolute favorite things to do is go out and drive around in the snow after i finish clearing my driveway but before the plows are done, especially if it's still coming down.
My truck is a company truck so no 4 wheel drive. I will say even the 4 wheel drive vehicles are having a hard time. Before it snowed the streets accumulated ice from rain and mist freezing on the ground. I closed down the brewpub and brewery at least until tomorrow. Hard to do anything with these rolling power outages

Southern cities or “non winter cities” (Vancouver in Canada) catch a lot of flak for getting shut completely down with a little bit of snow but this is exactly it. These cities just don’t have/need the infrastructure to deal with heavy snow once every few years, so when it does happen you just need to wait it out.
Amen! We do not have this weather very often. Can you all please take your weather back! LOL

Three days ago I was standing outside in 70 degree weather

Growing up in St. Louis we were friends with a family on our cul-de-sac that had moved up from San Antonio, and after a long time in StL they moved back there. They said they had family in San Antonio helping them unpack the moving truck, and they found the snow shovels and said, "what are these??" :LOL: :laugh:

The first snow after I got my driver’s license, my dad said I should go to a large parking lot and have at it. It teaches how the car handles and what you should (and not) do. Granted that was the days of big V8s and rear wheel drive cars, but still recommended!

The first snow after I got my driver’s license, my dad said I should go to a large parking lot and have at it. It teaches how the car handles and what you should (and not) do. Granted that was the days of big V8s and rear wheel drive cars, but still recommended!
I am good! I am fine just sitting here at the house passing the time with Mom and my girlfriend.

Damn don't see that too much down there do you @David O. Us southerners don't have the ability/equipment to deal with inches of snow much less 0f-10f temperatures.

6" here so far and 9f, going to below 0f tonight. Thanks goodness it's more powdery than wet so the trees & power lines are still good. In a break for the snow at the moment but expecting another 6"+ tomorrow night through Thursday and the temp isn't getting above 20f til Thursday-Friday.

snow1.jpg

It does not happen too often but it is snowing in San Antonio and the surrounding areas.

I will say it is pretty but you folks up north have got come take this back. It seems your weather is drunk in my back yard. Please come and take it back!!!
View attachment 636577View attachment 636578View attachment 636579View attachment 636580View attachment 636581
Your first mistake is calling that snow. In Canada we call that pre-fall or pre-summer.

4x4 trucks help you go. They do nothing to help you stop.

Your first mistake is calling that snow. In Canada we call that pre-fall or pre-summer.

To us that was a blizzard! LOL I agree on the 4x4 trucks. I am fine sitting here and waiting it out.

1" is a snow storm, 5"-6" is a blizzard down here. Cities aren't going to buy plows/equipment that won't get used but once every 10 years.

I have a friend who lived in Hawaii for a couple years. He told me he once snowboarded and surfed on the same day.
Yup we got a lot of snow on the mountains this year. Surprisingly but true, snowboard then head down to surf

View attachment 636577View attachment 636578View attachment 636579View attachment 636580View attachment 636581
Told you @David O I feared we brought the cold south with us... but 85 in Key West today, so it wasn't out fault!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom