SOLD Snapper Sunday Sale (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to learn about ultrasonic cleaning. Could you please tell me what "TSP" stands for?
TSP = Trisodium phosphate. But when chippers say TSP, they mean the non-TSP TSP (aka Sodium Meta-Silicate, an example is Lundmark which I don't think is available in Europe). The real TSP is sometimes too strong, from what I've understood.

TSP = Trisodium phosphate. But when chippers say TSP, they mean the non-TSP TSP (aka Sodium Meta-Silicate, an example is Lundmark which I don't think is available in Europe). The real TSP is sometimes too strong, from what I've understood.
I’m not sure I’ve heard that real TSP is too strong. As far as I know, most of us use TSP substitute because real TSP has been outlawed in most of the United States.

I’m not sure I’ve heard that real TSP is too strong. As far as I know, most of us use TSP substitute because real TSP has been outlawed in most of the United States.
If I recall correctly, hotstamps do not fancy real TSP.

If I recall correctly, hotstamps do not fancy real TSP.
No, but the fake stuff messes them up too. (As does a oxyclean, as does a magic eraser, and as does a firm scrubbing brush.)

View attachment 629667Okay ran out to my garage then to the basement to get some chips to try. Not a magic bullet but some good results. The Lago chips were quick the horseshoe chips took the majority of the time.
Might be a decent solution for those who need to clean these chips or other chips (ultrasonic is still faster but zero cleanup with the wipes method) Again not sure of fading but will check in later.

Love the Lago chips

Ran Em all again

image.jpg

No, but the fake stuff messes them up too. (As does a oxyclean, as does a magic eraser, and as does a firm scrubbing brush.)

I've never had a problem with hot stamps in metasilicate detergent. To test, I kept one in the ultrasonic through about 10 cycles and complete immersion for 40 minutes. No loss of foil integrity.

I've never had a problem with hot stamps in metasilicate detergent. To test, I kept one in the ultrasonic through about 10 cycles and complete immersion for 40 minutes. No loss of foil integrity.
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe we were using different TSP substitute, but I've had significant foil damage in a regular soak.

Tap water and a drizzle of dishwashing soap. Sorry not super-scientific.
I may pick up some distilled water to see if it makes a difference.

this! just finished my first barrel! impressed by the results of simple dishwashing soap !
+ ultrasonic of course. Unfortunately i can put, only 5 chips together. and i need 4 x 3 min with 2 rotation !! i think i will finish all the work for christmas 21 :LOL: :laugh:

Yeah it takes a while. If I put 10 chips in I'm probably running them 3 times for 6 mins and rotating them so they get clean.

Also got the results I shared previously with tap water. Was lazy and didn’t go to the store to get distilled water. I’m almost certain it’ll do even better.

Polish did not work well for me so went back to Magic Eraser. I was planning on using these as quarters for my HSI cash set, but I have light purple solids that I think are too close.

Left Column, chips as they came. Middle column - straightened and one round of magic eraser. Right column - straightened and two rounds of magic eraser.
TA704269.jpg

I am planning to try the ultrasonic again with some dawn, TSP, higher heat and longer times on my already magic erasered chips.

From those who have done this (especially the higher heat and longer times), has there been any fading when compared to a magic eraser only cleaned chip?

PS, played a heads-up cash game with my 8 year old son yesterday (CRUSHED him) with these chips and LOVE them!

Thanks,
Grant

In my experience, faux-TSP doesn’t mess up hotstamps which are in excellent condition, unless you really overdo it with an excessive concentration, plus heat, and too long in the bath. (I generally use one 1- 1.5 tablespoons to 8-10 cups of water. I prefer to manually agitate them, rarely using an ultrasonic though I have one.)

However... If the hotstamps are already faded, especially if they have turned silver in places (instead of gold), then I will sometimes get additional fading.

Not a chemist. But my sense is that the surface of an excellent condition, fully intact hotstamp tends to block the TSP from penetrating. So a bath doesn’t result in new damage.

But once that top surface of the stamp is abraded, the cleaner can work its way in/under the top foil layer and accelerate the fade.

I would tend to think that the same principle applies to most other cleaners as well.

I am planning to try the ultrasonic again with some dawn, TSP, higher heat and longer times on my already magic erasered chips.

From those who have done this (especially the higher heat and longer times), has there been any fading when compared to a magic eraser only cleaned chip?

PS, played a heads-up cash game with my 8 year old son yesterday (CRUSHED him) with these chips and LOVE them!

Thanks,
Grant

First off, nice job whooping your kid haha Gotta roughen them up when introducing them to the game haha

As for the high heat and TSP/Dawn mix, I did notice that the chips were very dry at the end. It’s imperative that you oil them because they’ll need it badly otherwise they’re so dry it’ll feel like they’re almost sticking together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom