Small Poker Table Project: (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I originally made a topper for a nice pub table in our game room. However, my wife has since reclaimed the pub table for another part of the house (which allowed the space for my main oval table in the background). That left me with a topper with no base. I craigslisted a cheap (but super solid) base and am planning to attach it to the table.

With my new Fat Tire table soon to be built (which will replace the oval shown), I'll use the old oval for a second tourney table, and then utilize this smaller round table for cash games that arise. This issue was evident during my last tourney. Two full tables, and once 4 people busted out, they wanted to get a cash game going. Having this table all ready to go, would be helpful. I'll try out this new strategy at the MTTD in a couple weeks.

Thoughts on the base?

F542696E-26E2-47BB-9582-D999BF5E9C68.jpg

C3F4E2C2-E6FD-4AFE-91C7-7192C37EA4FE.jpg

ps. the rail is still indented from being leaned up against a bed.

Last edited:
Looks like a good place to sit and shuffle chips next to my toilet trophy while I wait for people to bust out.

Width is part of it, but weight also matters, and the base is heavy

I was about to ask about that... it looks nice.

Are you going to need to thicken the topper, since it's no longer resting on a table top?

I just added a sub base section of round 3/4 plywood to the base. 2' across, which I will use to bolt down the top. The top is constructed of 3/4" ply As well.

Doesn't seem like that base would be large enough. Seems like someone leaning on one side could tip it over.

Yeah, I'd be a little worried about tipping. Even if it's heavy, you still have it on carpet (with I assume a pad underneath) so there will be some movement when people lean on the rail I would think. I like the base though. Keep the base and install hardwood? :D

Yeah, I'd be a little worried about tipping. Even if it's heavy, you still have it on carpet (with I assume a pad underneath) so there will be some movement when people lean on the rail I would think. I like the base though. Keep the base and install hardwood? :D

Don't forget when someone has 3/4's of the chips from the side deep stack tourney on one side too. :)

The base does look pretty small in that pic but it could be an optical illusion in the photo too

Unless the photo is misleading, the base looks too small for the top. A cursory internet search suggests that a 2:1 ratio (top to base) is good, depending on the weights of the base and the top. How much force does it take for you to rock the table by pushing down on the rail?

Must be an optical illusion as I think the base is 24" and the top is 46" The base is heavy and it takes a lot to move it. It seems sturdy enough. It came from a 48" table

Unless the overly-small base is lead or uranium, the table is a disaster waiting to happen. Sit down, put both elbows on the rail, and push down. If you tell me it doesn't tip, you're lying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom