Tourney Small denomination STT tournament set/stacks... T1 base?

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I am very new here and have been searching quite a bit for an answer to this question. I already have a cash game set squared away, but am already feeling the burn for some nice Paulsons. My question is that since it is much easier (and cheaper so that I can justify the purchase) to acquire small denom $1, $5, $25, $100 Paulsons, does anyone ever use these for STT tourneys? We have a regular 8 person single rebuy tournament. Would a T1 base T1K tournament be feasible? T5 base better? Try to find quarter fracs as a base? Is there some reason to completely avoid small denom tournaments? How do others approach this?

Beakertwang

Full House
Tourney Director
Reaction score
Certainly is feasible. If you start at 2/4, that's 250 big blinds for starting stacks. I usually start at 200BB and the game lasts about 4 hours.

Paulson tourney chips tend to be more affordable in the higher denoms, so you could go that route, if you don't mind solids.

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score
There could be a security issue if you used the same chips for both cash and tourney (people pocketing tourney chips then trying to cash them in during cash game)
It is a very friendly group that has been playing together for 7 years. Security isn't an issue, but thanks for bringing it up.

wonderpuddle

Two Pair
Reaction score
I occasionally host a dollar for dollar tourneys where $100 gets you $100 in chips and we start blinds at .25. It basically works like a 10k with a t25 base. The benefit of running it as dollar for dollar is we allow top offs after the rebuy period — in other words, if someone had $72 after rebuys ended, they could buy another $28 in chips. It builds the pot a bit.

A set of 80 quarters, 80 dollars, 80 fives and 20 $25s would supports a T.25 STT (8/8/8/2 starting stacks). Round up for color ups and rebuys. You can do it with 300 chips though 400 would be more flexible.

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Certainly is feasible. If you start at 2/4, that's 250 big blinds for starting stacks. I usually start at 200BB and the game lasts about 4 hours.

Paulson tourney chips tend to be more affordable in the higher denoms, so you could go that route, if you don't mind solids.
Thanks! This is definitely an option I see. But I have been looking at past sales etc, and there have definitely been some low denom sets that look exciting so I just want to figure out to work it in case I come across something really interesting in the low denoms and need to jump on it quick.

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I occasionally host a dollar for dollar tourney where $100 gets you $100 in chips and we start blinds at .25. It basically works like a 10k with a t25 base. The benefit of running it as dollar for dollar is we allow top offs after the rebuy period — in other words, if someone had $72 after rebuys ended, they could buy another $28 in chips. It builds the pot a bit.
Yeah, I can definitely see how it translates over really nicely from a T25/T100/T500/T1k T10k tourney structure. If only those quarters are easy to find.

Thank you!

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score

I have definitely seen some that I like. I see a lot of non denominated solids so far. This is an option I am going to consider, more so if denominated. Thank you!

Eloe2000

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Seems like a 15, 12, 9, 7 stack of T1/T5/T25/T100 might be a manageable T1K. Its a lot of chips, but who doesn't like chips ;)

Top Bottom